diy solar

diy solar

The "Meg" Build

did you ever get this fixed?
No, I took it all apart and sent pictures to MPP (at their request), and Ian from Utah just told them to ship him a Main Board. Then he said we will ship it back to him (in Utah) and he will install the main board and ship it back to me.

I also ordered a 2nd unit, that is just waiting in LAX. Hoping it will get here in the next week or 10 days.

No, I took it all apart and sent pictures to MPP (at their request), and Ian from Utah just told them to ship him a Main Board. Then he said we will ship it back to him (in Utah) and he will install the main board and ship it back to me.

I also ordered a 2nd unit, that is just waiting in LAX. Hoping it will get here in the next week or 10 days.
Glad Ian runs interference for issues! Thats worth the price of admission alone.

Yeah he's definitely helpful, but I've been without Inverter/Solar for almost 3 weeks now, and looking at maybe another 2 weeks before I get it up and running and who knows how long it'll take for the main board to come from Taiwan.

I'm planning on getting the 2nd inverter i ordered probably the soonest. I'll get it up and running and wait for the original one to get repaired and then install it when I get it back

Makes sense. Always good to have a backup. I have 2 sma inverters that have been running since 2008, but grid tie only. I will be using my 2 LV6548's in parallel.

I ordered a 100a 48v to 12v DC Converter from Daygreen just now. This will enable me to get rid of the 12v batteries, stock converter and everything and power the 12v side off a much more efficient (95%) converter. This converter should even run my leveling system!

I ordered a 100a 48v to 12v DC Converter from Daygreen just now. This will enable me to get rid of the 12v batteries, stock converter and everything and power the 12v side off a much more efficient (95%) converter. This converter should even run my leveling system!
I am interested if it can handle the starting current

Yes 50 amps or so with the slides going out, 35 amps with them coming in. When "bottomed out" or dead head for a long period of time (longer than I would like) it pulled 120 amps or so.

Getting the 150amp model was a lot more money, so we'll try out the 100a first.

The breaker from the factory is only 80 amps, so this 100amps leaves me a little room I think.

I've purchased quite a few more parts now. I ordered a new Ryobi 2300 generator. I found out it accepts an 18v One+ battery (which I have a dozen of, it seems lol) and I can remote start it from my phone app. I also got a Victron Smart Shunt, that im going to try and mount it inside the battery box if I can simply enough. I also got a Raspberry Pi 4 and going to get the Solar Assistant software so I can monitor it better than the garbage WatchPower app.

I also am going to be doing some serious reconstruction on the compartment the inverters/batteries are going into. Im going to cut out the factory floor (18ga thin Steel), and make a custom drop floor, that is roughly 6" lower, which will accept a decent sized Mini Split ODU. ? just planning ahead if I do a mini split, I want to make it as easy as possible. Im also cutting a nice mount that will hang both inverters off of, as well as the 48v to 12v Buck Converter and some other misc odds and ends, like bus bars, Class T fuse etc.

I also ordered 3x RV Airflow units, to improve the efficiencies of the factory AC units. I figure I might as well get the most out of what I have. Even when/if I do mini splits I can sell the AC units and these RV airflow inserts.

Update on the LV6548. Since I ended up taking apart the entire unit to try and diagnose further, they will just send me the main board directly and I will install it. I also paid an expedite fee of $70 to have it within a week, but we'll see. I also got confirmation from Ian that my new unit is being unloaded in LAX today and it should be getting shipped out soon as well.

Lots going on, we'll see how it all works out.

I've purchased quite a few more parts now. I ordered a new Ryobi 2300 generator. I found out it accepts an 18v One+ battery (which I have a dozen of, it seems lol) and I can remote start it from my phone app. I also got a Victron Smart Shunt, that im going to try and mount it inside the battery box if I can simply enough. I also got a Raspberry Pi 4 and going to get the Solar Assistant software so I can monitor it better than the garbage WatchPower app.

I also am going to be doing some serious reconstruction on the compartment the inverters/batteries are going into. Im going to cut out the factory floor (18ga thin Steel), and make a custom drop floor, that is roughly 6" lower, which will accept a decent sized Mini Split ODU. ? just planning ahead if I do a mini split, I want to make it as easy as possible. Im also cutting a nice mount that will hang both inverters off of, as well as the 48v to 12v Buck Converter and some other misc odds and ends, like bus bars, Class T fuse etc.

I also ordered 3x RV Airflow units, to improve the efficiencies of the factory AC units. I figure I might as well get the most out of what I have. Even when/if I do mini splits I can sell the AC units and these RV airflow inserts.

Update on the LV6548. Since I ended up taking apart the entire unit to try and diagnose further, they will just send me the main board directly and I will install it. I also paid an expedite fee of $70 to have it within a week, but we'll see. I also got confirmation from Ian that my new unit is being unloaded in LAX today and it should be getting shipped out soon as well.

Lots going on, we'll see how it all works out.
FYI put the smart shunt between battery and BMS... cuz you will loss info when your BMS opens... it sucks

Last night I ordered a DC- DC STEP UP from them, it isn't a published part. Please lmk what your step down item and price is, thx in advance.

$180 w/ $20 shipping

Cheaper than a couple of Victrons. I might email for a lower USD price and see if I can do some mojo.

THANKS

Cheaper than almost any other option I found, and they seem to be of high quality, but I will put it to the test when I get it installed.

Right on, crank up the blender for some margaritas and lmk if it starts to smell funny. (y)

Since I'm heavy in the Victron camp, I have 2 of the 48v to 12 rated at 30A on order to run in parallel. This should cover the steps and slides and generator starter motor etc with room to spare.

Right on, crank up the blender for some margaritas and lmk if it starts to smell funny. (y)

Since I'm heavy in the Victron camp, I have 2 of the 48v to 12 rated at 30A on order to run in parallel. This should cover the steps and slides and generator starter motor etc with room to spare.
Are you sure? I would be wary about the slides, but its definitely not starting a generator. My Onan was rated at minimum 450 cranking amps. The motor for the slides are rated for 80a on my rig as well.

Nopers I'm not sure about anything. The fuses for the slides and steps etc are 30A. I have ONE SLIDE and it's a small brdm slide. I disabled the large one permanently.

I have an ONAN 4000 with a sketchy starting motor anyways and thinking of upgrading it.

So good news, I did my best mojo and engrish and Jeff Mo will ship the step down with the step up with no additional shipping charges. So what the . . I went for it. (these are large units)

Since the step up unit is a current to voltage converter I'll mount it up front close to the alt with heavier cable and make to higher voltage run to the back with something sufficient.

Attachments

• processed.jpeg
    processed.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 4
  • processed-1.jpeg
    processed-1.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

$180 w/ $20 shipping
Hmm ... now you have me curious about their 150A model (my slides and jacks use 120-130 amps) so I can ditch my 12v "buffer" battery.
Edit: though it appears to be fixed at 12v (I'd like 13-13.5).

Back