diy solar

diy solar

The "Meg" Build

Got the breaker panel finished and wired in. Works great, but the still has voltage potential between earth and trailer. I have now ruled out the entire trailer side of the wiring i think lol. Next is grounding the solar panels/ container.

Have you checked out whether there is a voltage potential between two places on your lot, in the absence of any of your PV wires running between trailer and shipping container? e.g. leakage current from a utility substation or power line?

I assume your system is driving a voltage out to the shipping container, but since one of your questions brought up this possibility, might as well confirm or eliminate it.

Got my next batch of cells in for the trailer. Another successful transaction from @Michael B Caro. These 16x cells were extremely well protected with this molded foam. They were even kind of hard to get out of the foam because they fit so well. The boxes themselves were not taped up as well, but the cells arrived in better condition than my last order. They also have a tag on the top with a capacity test in mAh, all of which are pretty different, ranging from as low as 267ah to 274ah. I dont know how accurate they are, but we'll see.20211224_153142.jpg

20211224_153136.jpg

20211224_153227.jpg

Parallel Top Balancing with solid aluminum bus bar that I Laser cut out. Give me a couple days and I'll start assembling the 2p16s pack!

20211224_155137.jpg

I'm still capacity testing the last few of my new cells, some of them testing over 280ah! A couple around 269-270ish, which I'm okay with.

After I finish all the capacity tests, I'm going to pull the existing battery out of the trailer and capacity test each cell as well, then I can try and match high/low cells together. Am I in the correct understanding that when I make a 2p16s battery, and I pair the highest capacity cell with the lowest capacity cell, they will average out? Like if I pair a 280ah cell with a 260ah cell in Parallel, then they collectively will have 270ah?

I also got a cheaper 75ah AGM battery on Amazon, as well as a 20a Victron IP22 battery charger. This replaced my 48v to 12v converter and the 18 farad capacitor, and now the leveling system works great. An added bonus, since the IP22 charger runs off 120v, I plugged it into the inverters obviously, and now my SolarAssistant can record the power being used through the 12v system, which used to run through the converter and straight out of the battery, so it would skew my numbers on SolarAssistants graphs.

20220104_165135.jpg

Nice solution with the IP22!

I've been following your build and appreciate all the work you've put into documenting the process. I've been here awhile but I don't post much.

Still mostly in the design stage, I have a similar build in mind with a planned expansion 6 months after working out the bugs in the initial build.

Originally, I too planned for a 48/12 DC converter for the 12V system. Considered a SCC to charge the 12V batteries, or retain the original RV converter. The IP22 looks like a great option.

Also looking forward to the container/voltage solution. Again, I have similar plans. My 22' cargo trailer was my first solar test project. It's also my workshop since I've lived in a 42' 5th wheel the last 4 years. Using the roof of both the 5ver and the cargo trailer to mount 5kw of panels.

I'm certain you've saved me a few headaches. I've learned much just from watching. Plus this has been an extremely enjoyable read with lots of good advice from many other knowledgeable members.

Out from lurk mode to personally thank you.

-Camo

Nice solution with the IP22!

I've been following your build and appreciate all the work you've put into documenting the process. I've been here awhile but I don't post much.

Still mostly in the design stage, I have a similar build in mind with a planned expansion 6 months after working out the bugs in the initial build.

Originally, I too planned for a 48/12 DC converter for the 12V system. Considered a SCC to charge the 12V batteries, or retain the original RV converter. The IP22 looks like a great option.

Also looking forward to the container/voltage solution. Again, I have similar plans. My 22' cargo trailer was my first solar test project. It's also my workshop since I've lived in a 42' 5th wheel the last 4 years. Using the roof of both the 5ver and the cargo trailer to mount 5kw of panels.

I'm certain you've saved me a few headaches. I've learned much just from watching. Plus this has been an extremely enjoyable read with lots of good advice from many other knowledgeable members.

Out from lurk mode to personally thank you.

-Camo
Thanks @CamoGreg! The container/voltage situation is on my to-do list, I just have so much stuff going on right now that I'm trying to get done, but I will be getting to it soon.

Glad to hear this thread could help! I love to hear things like this!

This IP22 is pretty snazzy. It automatically goes into storage mode and keeps the battery at 13.2v. Damn Victron, doing it again ?
Screenshot_20220108-112217.jpg

People piss and moan about Victron pricing until they use it. :cool: I'm glad you got the leveling system working like you wanted!

I'm late to the show, but I saw that you attempted to use the same Daygreen 100A dc converter that I purchased and plan to use for my lippert leveling system.

I guess since I already bought it I might as well test it, but now I'm thinking I wasted $200... Glad to see you found an alternate solution and saved me from the same path of troubleshooting. Thank you for documenting!

I'm late to the show, but I saw that you attempted to use the same Daygreen 100A dc converter that I purchased and plan to use for my lippert leveling system.

I guess since I already bought it I might as well test it, but now I'm thinking I wasted $200... Glad to see you found an alternate solution and saved me from the same path of troubleshooting. Thank you for documenting!
What lippert leveling system do you have? Depending on the model, yours might work fine. Mine is a 6 hydraulic leveling system.

Even then, mine still worked, but it just took some extra time bumping the valves back and forth before it would actually go.

What lippert leveling system do you have? Depending on the model, yours might work fine. Mine is a 6 hydraulic leveling system.

Even then, mine still worked, but it just took some extra time bumping the valves back and forth before it would actually go.
My system has 4, one on each corner. Hopefully that makes a difference, that would be nice if I could still use it. ?

Maybe I missed it but could you tell me what 4-way rotary switch you used for the AC in and if you've been happy with it?

My system has 4, one on each corner. Hopefully that makes a difference, that would be nice if I could still use it. ?
You have the "Ground Control 3.0" system, it really needs a buffer battery of some kind to keep voltage consistent. Each jack has a proximity switch, and they are VERY sensitive to low voltage drops.

Lt. Dan's has a hydraulic system that for all intensive purposes doesn't care as long as voltage is above 10.5v, and has enough oomph to start the motor

You have the "Ground Control 3.0" system, it really needs a buffer battery of some kind to keep voltage consistent. Each jack has a proximity switch, and they are VERY sensitive to low voltage drops.

Lt. Dan's has a hydraulic system that for all intensive purposes doesn't care as long as voltage is above 10.5v, and has enough oomph to start the motor
Hi Smokey, thanks for your input. I am ignorant (but trying to learn) to most of this and looked up the ground control 3.0 system and it appears to extend each jack by individual electric motors. My system uses a hydraulic pump. I chose the 1200w converter due to the pump being on a 100a breaker.

Exactly.
Hi Smokey, thanks for your input. I am ignorant (but trying to learn) to most of this and looked up the ground control 3.0 system and it appears to extend each jack by individual electric motors. My system uses a hydraulic pump. I chose the 1200w converter due to the pump being on a 100a breaker.
Interesting....I've never seen a 4 point hydraulic system, just the electric... That's what I get for assuming. I work for a grand designs/keystone dealer and see 6 point all day long on these new monster rigs.

you may need a buffer battery on your system but nothing big, just for the voltage sag. its the same reason its very hard to get them to run on just a converter.

Maybe I missed it but could you tell me what 4-way rotary switch you used for the AC in and if you've been happy with it?
I used it so I could bypass the inverter and out the grid directly to the RV. I stopped using it because I didn't see the need for me. It worked good. I actually have it for sale on the forum.

Exactly.

Interesting....I've never seen a 4 point hydraulic system, just the electric... That's what I get for assuming. I work for a grand designs/keystone dealer and see 6 point all day long on these new monster rigs.

you may need a buffer battery on your system but nothing big, just for the voltage sag. its the same reason its very hard to get them to run on just a converter.
Yeah my pump was on an 80a breaker, and only draws around 60a, but the spike was enough to pull voltage down below 6v.

Got my next batch of cells in for the trailer. Another successful transaction from @Michael B Caro. These 16x cells were extremely well protected with this molded foam. They were even kind of hard to get out of the foam because they fit so well. The boxes themselves were not taped up as well, but the cells arrived in better condition than my last order. They also have a tag on the top with a capacity test in mAh, all of which are pretty different, ranging from as low as 267ah to 274ah. I dont know how accurate they are, but we'll see.View attachment 77056

View attachment 77061

View attachment 77062

Parallel Top Balancing with solid aluminum bus bar that I Laser cut out. Give me a couple days and I'll start assembling the 2p16s pack!

View attachment 77063
I have capacity tested all of my new cells, and I have a few cells over 280ah, with the highest being 283ah. My lowest cell was 265ah, which I hope to pair with another high cell in parallel to average it out to an Ah closer to the 271Ah its supposed to be.

Now I'm capacity testing all of the cells from my first order, and im about half way through. I can get 4 cells tested per 24hrs, so hopefully just a couple more days and I can assemble the entire pack!

Back