diy solar

diy solar

The "Meg" Build

When software is written, it has to be tested to see if it works correctly, and if the rest of the code still functions correctly.
Communicating between two devices, each has to be stimulated to produce various message. Especially when one isn't their own, so can't trigger the messages or detect response artificially. Then there are timing issues, and how corruption of messages are handled.

I'm surprised they would do this even for 40 units, unless they're hoping there is a market for it. Which they may be.

Software generally costs much more than hardware to design, test, debug, install, repair. Remote updates can be done, but get it wrong and you "brick" the system. Nowadays our cell phones are updated over the air, but we use to take them in to the Sprint store. Cost of labor in the US vs. overseas assembly, and you can imagine the cost difference. 15 minutes of a store clerk's time cost as much as an assembler in China for a day, back then.

Generally, software probably costs 10x as much as the hardware it runs on, but at some high volume it becomes cheap. 20+ years ago, a cell phone contained 100 man-years of code. Once phones reached 100,000,000 units sold of a given model, that doesn't seem so bad. Software development is often assigned to the usual suspects, where an engineer's salary is 1/10th what it is in the US, but having hardware and software on different continents certainly doesn't help get it right. The fact firmware does get updated so often in the PV field tells you something.

A different protocol for battery SoC and charging parameters is just a portion of the code in a BMS, but not trivial.
Are they actually going to program this just based on documentation, or will they purchase LV6548 and try it themselves?
They are in the business of selling batteries for solar inverters. It is a wise investment to code for the most prevelant inverters being used by your supposed customer base. In order to support that code in the future, you need the hardware/firmware to test with, and more importantly, keep up to date. Since there is currently no standards available in the industry, many have defaulted to the Pylontech protocol for inverter to BMS communications. The issue for Seplos is they support that protocol over CAN bus today, and used the RS485 ports for inter-BMS communications. They need to support the protocol over the RS485 port in order for the Voltronics variants to work properly with their BMS.
They may need an additional port for that, or update firmware to use the existing port for Inverter comms vs BMS to BMS comms.
I think Seplos may have a shot at becoming a standard in the industry if they make the investment.

he wont be a guinea pig...
these RS485 boards are already being send out..
what i did say, is that I have not been able to test yet.

i am not sure why @Lt.Dan was told they need to develop this, as it is already there...
I'm wondering if Adam, the guy im talking to, doesn't know that its already done?

Or does MPP actually tweak their software a bit to be different from Voltronic? I think I remember you had voltronic inverters correct? Making Seplos have to reprogram anyways?

I'm wondering if Adam, the guy im talking to, doesn't know that its already done?

Or does MPP actually tweak their software a bit to be different from Voltronic? I think I remember you had voltronic inverters correct? Making Seplos have to reprogram anyways?
I think they may tweak hardware and firmware to make the Voltronic inverters US compliant, similar to what Sol-Ark does with Deye.

i have indeed voltronics, however, from the manual :

2.11 RM485andRS485 communication RM485 could realize communication between battery and inverter. And RM485 communication has different protocol according to different inverters. (Seplos RM485 protocol is compatible with Pylontech and voltronic protocol.) RS485 communication could realize data monitoring, operation controlling and parameter setting through computer or other devices via telemetering, telesignalization, remote regulating and remote control commands.

these rs485 boards support the RM485 protocol, which is compatible with voltronics ( the OEM for mpp-solar ) AND pylontech, which is natively supported by mpp solar inverters..

they do not, just slap a label on it, and run n-1 for software releases in general
I just went on the Voltronics site, and sure enough, they have the split phase units. They also have a 30KW inverter that takes 40KW solar input! It is grid tie capable, and also a WP model, and can parallel up to 4 of them, 15KW per leg for just one.
Does anyone know if Voltronics offer these in the US? Its WAY overkill, but if its priced well, I like overkill, as I can run it at 40-50%.

I just went on the Voltronics site, and sure enough, they have the split phase units. They also have a 30KW inverter that takes 40KW solar input! It is grid tie capable, and also a WP model, and can parallel up to 4 of them, 15KW per leg for just one.
Does anyone know if Voltronics offer these in the US? Its WAY overkill, but if its priced well, I like overkill, as I can run it at 40-50%.
i think they only sell throught resellers , unfortunatly

btw this is a nice video that explain how to configure mpp/voltronics to the bms.
here they are using pylontech, but the seplos bms should be no different, provided you have set the comms protocol in the bms to RM485

btw this is a nice video that explain how to configure mpp/voltronics to the bms.
here they are using pylontech, but the seplos bms should be no different, provided you have set the comms protocol in the bms to RM485
What is an RM485? I know RJ45, RS485, CAT5/6 and RS232, but never heard of RM485.

Where did you get yours? I cannot find a reseller in the US, or even a dedicated seller on Alibaba or anything.

Still no answer from Seplos.
i bought mine from an italian reseller, but i believe they only sell the 230v models

I followed up with Adam from Seplos, as it had been 2 days and no answer after he said he would talk to the engineer about the MOQ of 10 Pieces. I also told him that others have already been receiving these RS485 modified BMS's, and why do I need to buy special ones?

He responded with, "How many do you want?", I told him just 2, and then he sent me over the quote and I put in the order. I guess we'll see when they show up, but he assures me they will work.

the way to differenciate :

the rs485 model will have the label 1101-10D-16S
the CANBUS model will have the label 1101-10C-16S

the way to differenciate :

the rs485 model will have the label 1101-10D-16S
the CANBUS model will have the label 1101-10C-16S
Thanks! Ok, so it looks like I have the CANbus models for my 100amp and 200amp BMS's. Did they say I would have to swap the BMS? Or is it a simple firmware update?

Attachments

• 20220304_103328.jpg
    20220304_103328.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 11
Shoot them a message or an email and ask? Best case they swap them out like @houseofancients
Just did. I just ordered 3 of the 280ah Masons, so I asked to make sure they included the correct BMS. I have 4 100amp and 2 200amp already, so I am hoping it may be a firmware thing and not a component on the module.

Back