diy solar

diy solar

The "Meg" Build

Just did. I just ordered 3 of the 280ah Masons, so I asked to make sure they included the correct BMS. I have 4 100amp and 2 200amp already, so I am hoping it may be a firmware thing and not a component on the module.
Keep us posted on that, I'm sure others will need to know as well.

Thanks! Ok, so it looks like I have the CANbus models for my 100amp and 200amp BMS's. Did they say I would have to swap the BMS? Or is it a simple firmware update?
Based on the work done by mjlorton on his youtube channel, the Seplos BMS's can be coordinate with each other, and a Master BMS can have 15 slaves. I am wondering if I can use a single RS485 Master BMS as the communication interface for all the CANbus based slave BMS's. Only one BMS at a time can communicate anyway... the interesting part would be if I can mix 100amp and 200amp BMS's in the same string. I also wonder if the same BMS is used in the PUSUNG version, since those have two positive and two negative connections.

Based on the work done by mjlorton on his youtube channel, the Seplos BMS's can be coordinate with each other, and a Master BMS can have 15 slaves. I am wondering if I can use a single RS485 Master BMS as the communication interface for all the CANbus based slave BMS's. Only one BMS at a time can communicate anyway... the interesting part would be if I can mix 100amp and 200amp BMS's in the same string. I also wonder if the same BMS is used in the PUSUNG version, since those have two positive and two negative connections.
that would be the best option .
given that only the port connected to the inverter is a different one, i see no reason why this shouldnt work

as far as i have been able to see, there is no physical difference in the canbus and rs485 versions

Finally received my BMSs. They were supposed to have fans but somehow must have got lost in translation... I have a message out to my seller, but its already been 24 hrs...

View attachment 46144

Finished my dads battery for his motorhome. He just wanted a 12v 272AH, to replace his 4x 6v Trojans that are now 8 years old and tired. 150a Daly BMS with Bluetooth and low temp cutoff. I can also confirm the low temp cutoff works like a charm, and is very quick.View attachment 46143

And now my battery... I bought a 200amp model, also with Bluetooth and low temp cutoff, which confirmed works as well. I also bought the light board and the touchscreen display off of ebay, and I gotta say, im impressed! The light board was $10, and the display was $35(?) I think. I used the lightboard to turn it on, which was super easy, then I hooked up the display and was able to set LVD and HVD as well as high and low temp cutoffs. Very easy. I set low temp cutoff to 10C and put it in the alcoholic beverage i happened to have and it shut off very quickly.
View attachment 46145
View attachment 46146
View attachment 46147
Only problem i have seen is for some reason the battery type keeps changing itself back and forth to Titenate on its own. Im gonna connect to Bluetooth and see if its just a phantom problem though.

Hi
I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you have both your touch screen and Bluetooth connecting at the same time ??? and did you find anything with the TITENATE and how to fix the setting...

Appreciated...

Hi
I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you have both your touch screen and Bluetooth connecting at the same time ??? and did you find anything with the TITENATE and how to fix the setting...

Appreciated...
You cannot have the touchscreen and bluetooth simultaneously, they use the same port. I was able to change from Titenate to LIFEPO4 in the app pretty easy.

You cannot have the touchscreen and bluetooth simultaneously, they use the same port. I was able to change from Titenate to LIFEPO4 in the app pretty easy.
Cheers thanks for that... wonder if its possible to make a double adaptor to be able to plug both in together ...

Cheers thanks for that... wonder if its possible to make a double adaptor to be able to plug both in together ...
No, as when BT is plugged in, there is a change in port configuration to run the BT module. It's been some time since I looked at the pinout for that port.

Really, you don't need the BT module if you have the touchscreen. I used the BT module on initial setup, but really I could change all those settings with just the touchscreen. I permanently mounted the touchscreen in my truck camper, I prefer the touchscreen over the BT.

1652963317192.png

Software, can make things so complex or so simple.

My early inverters SB 2500SWR had a single header, could support either LCD display or RS-485 adapter. Later models had both.
If USB, would be able to connect a switch to additional devices. But very complex software, and as I mate/unmate laptop from dock, some days the peripherals are accessible and some days I have to unplug/replug them.
RS-485 would allow daisy-chain of multiple devices. I2C lets them be paralleled. SPI needs buffered/muxed clock and data plus dedicated select for each.

These products could be planned to allow expansion of multiple accessories, with minimal upfront cost.

But Bluetooth supports multiple devices! I have my work headphones connected to both laptop and cell phone.
If you use Bluetooth module, you could Velcro an old iPhone or similar to the inverter and use that as touchscreen.

I do prefer a built-in display with pushbuttons, KISS to check/set the equipment. Now that I also have RS-485, data from multiple devices gets logged to SD card and I can plug in laptop if I want to review and change that way.

I came here for the pictures, and occasional read... WOW WOW WOW!!! AMAZING project!

Your poor dog not wanting to go inside because it was getting electrocuted ?

You've done an amazing job, would love to get stuck in on something like that ?

Well done, hope you get to where you want soon ???

what did you end up using to charge your 12v battery?

I got the victron IP22 charger. Works flawless.
I agree with that statement. I bought the same charger for my SOK 12V batteries, and was very impressed with the quality. Victron makes good stuff.

Back