diy solar

diy solar

The new "My Sol-Ark" App and Migration to AWS is happening very soon.

In System Work mode the range for Max Solar Power is (1000 ~ 12000). Mine is set to15000. If I try to change it to 12000 it reverts back to 15000. I also tried turning of TOU, but that setting didn't stick either. It appears that one cannot change settings from the new App.
I couldn't change settings at first, but if I scrolled all the way to the top once clicking save (have to be fast), it shows the reason. The error goes away in a few seconds. In my case it was because my Max solar power was set over 12000. This app did take a step backwards from PV pro. At least temporarily here.

I had a similar experience until I realized I had to scroll down to the bottom of the page to hit the SAVE box.
I did click the save box and got the "sent successfully" "inverter offline" message.

Edit; Settings change worked on 2 other plants that I monitor. There are many things in the App that aren't working on my particular unit including incorrect status. It's actually online, but says it's offline.

Edit2: I can make settings changes on my iPhone, just cannot make changes on the web version.

However right now that's the least of my worries.

Last edited:
I did click the save box and got the "sent successfully" message.

Edit; Settings change worked on 2 other plants that I monitor. There are many things in the App that aren't working on my particular unit including incorrect status. It's actually online, but says it's off line.

However right now that's the least of my worries.
Sorry to see the troubles with the one unit. That's rough. I hope they can do some quick troubleshooting and replace that asap.

This app did take a step backwards from PV pro. At least temporarily here.
I kind of knew that was going to be the case since eLinter had spent the last 14 months sending so many updates to polish Powerview just after they sold the static Source Code to Sol-Ark.
The truth is that I was expecting a better job from Sol-Ark. I don't know why simple numbers are now being added up in the wrong way.
Overall The MySolArk App is now better than the webpage. It was the other way around with Powerview.
Anyway I guess they have eliminated the "Data Going To China" Issue :cautious:
I never really cared but I guess that there are enough people that did care.

The truth is that I was expecting a better job from Sol-Ark. I don't know why simple numbers are now being added up in the wrong way.
This is the part I have trouble understanding. From a project management standpoint. Someone made the call to just dump all of their customers on a non-working, or non-tested system at an arbitrary date, with no backup plan.

Then when it fell apart, it's radio silence. No communication besides Carlos. Thank you by the way Carlos.

If someone at Sol-Ark is willing to make some noise around there we would all appreciate it. The company is burning a lot of good will, and adding a lot of crap on the internet that will influence future purchasing decisions. Imagine I search for Sol-Ark load capabilities in the future, and all I end up with is a bunch of ranting about how poorly the software tracks loads, and how it is never fixed.

This should be taken more seriously than it has been.

There are companies that know how to integrate with Sol-Ark inverters already. Not like you have to reinvent the wheel here. Reach out to Solar-Assistant...

Can you tell I'm not too pleased? I'll walk away from it for a bit now...

I don't get why you all are complaining so much instead of just using solar assistant...?

This is a DIY Solar Forum..... So go DIY with SA already?

Hi Andy,
I'm guessing you are being half serious, half kidding. Just so everyone knows, it doesn't take care of every setting and stat. I have it set up, and solar assistant is better than nothing at the moment, but it's not a full replacement.

Edit: Well I did find some more generator settings, so it is possible most of the settings are there. And I am just not yet familiar with everything. I am also going back and forth with Solar-Assistant because it does not display the same data as the inverter screen does. It's off by a consistent amount.

Last edited:
Has anyone put together a guide on how to use Solar Assistant with sol-ark? I tried looking on the forums but most of what I see is people talking about using it or specific questions on settings, but not a basic how to get started guide. (I'm sure someone has already posted one somewhere, but I just can't seem to find it).

Also, are there any major benefits to using SA over the my sol-ark app (if it were actually functioning correctly as the previous app was)?

Hi Kyle,
There are definitely people that can help. Someone helped me, so feel free to ask questions. I could basically show you what I bought from solar-assistant and Amazon, and with some messing around, you could get it.

One of the benefits is that it works without relying on a web based data provider. One other benefit as I see it is that I can pull up my Pytes battery's BMS data, meaning pack level, and even some cell level (highest and lowest voltages) information.

I don't get why you all are complaining so much instead of just using solar assistant...?

This is a DIY Solar Forum..... So go DIY with SA already?
How about when you are an installer, and suddenly all the customers that got us to set up their remote connection (so that we can monitor it in case of issues) lost the ability for us to remotely see what is happening. I literally don't trust any MySolArk data at this point. Which means I really can't do remote diagnostics for our customers! And then what about new installs...?? Do we tell our customers they have to spend an additional $200+ for 3rd party remote monitoring because Sol-Ark's doesn't work..?? Then the customers would wonder why we would use Sol-Ark inverters if things don't work. But to be honest, I'm beginning to wonder the same... From a hardware standpoint the 15K works very well. From a software standpoint, at this point, it is buggier than a car windshield on a nighttime summer's drive in the country!

I do like Sol-Ark inverters! But I'm about fed up with workarounds!

How about when you are an installer, and suddenly all the customers that got us to set up their remote connection (so that we can monitor it in case of issues) lost the ability for us to remotely see what is happening. I literally don't trust any MySolArk data at this point. Which means I really can't do remote diagnostics for our customers! And then what about new installs...?? Do we tell our customers they have to spend an additional $200+ for 3rd party remote monitoring because Sol-Ark's doesn't work..?? Then the customers would wonder why we would use Sol-Ark inverters if things don't work. But to be honest, I'm beginning to wonder the same... From a hardware standpoint the 15K works very well. From a software standpoint, at this point, it is buggier than a car windshield on a nighttime summer's drive in the country!

I suggest you ask all of your customers affected to call solark and submit a ticket describing the issue. Project managers and MBAs only respond to numbers. Solving your issues won't be a priority until then.

I suggest you ask all of your customers affected to call solark and submit a ticket describing the issue. Project managers and MBAs only respond to numbers. Solving your issues won't be a priority until then.
That's a thought. I guess I could also start a case for a whole bunch of the sites. That would likely achieve a similar result.

I'm also frustrated with work arounds.
I have to use TOU and set battery to 99% SOC during solar hours. If I don't, then during abrupt changes in PV output, production will just cease for hours at a time. This was the solution provided by Carlos. Sol-Ark tech support just stopped responding.
I was counting on using Gen peak shaving, but apparently this is an unsupported feature.
My fall back was Gen power limit, but now I'm reading it doesn't work as documented.
Then there's the whole MySolArk App fiasco.

I'm also frustrated with work arounds.
I have to use TOU and set battery to 99% SOC during solar hours. If I don't, then during abrupt changes in PV output, production will just cease for hours at a time.
Yep, I've seen this as well...
This was the solution provided by Carlos.
Glad to hear this suggestion.
Sol-Ark tech support just stopped responding.
Sounds familiar.
I was counting on using Gen peak shaving, but apparently this is an unsupported feature.
My fall back was Gen power limit, but now I'm reading it doesn't work as documented.
Quite unfortunate. Although Carlos did make a remark about this maybe being something that could be brought back. I think he sees the value, even if nobody else at Sol-Ark does.
Then there's the whole MySolArk App fiasco.
Yep...

Sigh...... I miss the old days where the worst issues we dealt with were changing Magnum relays! Customer phone calls meant a lightning strike, or Magnum relays.... otherwise things just steadily hummed along! Now I spend many more hours troubleshooting software bugs....

That's a thought. I guess I could also start a case for a whole bunch of the sites. That would likely achieve a similar result.
I wouldn't put your clients thru the hassle of opening tickets. Open them on their behalf the less they are hassled the smoother things will be. Most prob have no idea there's issues with monitoring going on, unless it's actually limiting PV or something like that

I am not happy with the way the MySolArk migration went down, it is baffling to me why they decided to move everyone at once instead of moving 20% of the customers each week and then pausing if they encountered issues.
On the flip side I have not had any settings issues and the Data it is storing is accurate. I had confirmation today that the Information on the main page like E-Today etc are just the product of some kind of Code issue that should be sorted out soon.

IMHO to carry this to the level of saying that the Software is "Buggy as Hell" is a bit extreme. I had no illusions that this was going to be perfect on day one or day sixty and I knew that the transfer would not be smooth, it never is!
I remember the first year of Powerview, and it had a lot of bugs and I would email eLinter about them which was kind of like talking to a stone wall. So far MySolArk has been working very well for me in terms of connecting and making changes. Daily monitoring has also been good. I never did pay much attention to the E-Today stuff but I can see why some people might need it as a quick reference rather than going into the production data.

I am not happy with the way the MySolArk migration went down, it is baffling to me why they decided to move everyone at once instead of moving 20% of the customers each week and then pausing if they encountered issues.
I agree. Moving it the way that you said would have been a much better way of doing it!
IMHO to carry this to the level of saying that the Software is "Buggy as Hell" is a bit extreme. I had no illusions that this was going to be perfect on day one or day sixty and I knew that the transfer would not be smooth, it never is!
I assume you are referring to my comment earlier. I should probably have clarified that I was referring to more than just this migration. I am tired of software bugs that cause things like intermittent lapses of PV production, non working gen limit (I guess this seems to possibly be more hardware than software), no proper auto start menu (more of an issue for off-grid), CT sensor reading limitations, etc. There have just been a lot of things over the last few years that keep popping up. Some things we can use workarounds to overcome (such as using 3rd party auto start), but other things are just there (such as intermittent PV production issues).
I never did pay much attention to the E-Today stuff but I can see why some people might need it as a quick reference rather than going into the production data.
When you have a "stacked" system it is kind of a pain to need to go into the production data of each individual inverter and then add it all up to get totals. And seeing bigger overviews of things like total load vs. total PV vs. total "grid input" draw are fairly important for some of our applications. For instance, an off-grid butcher shop depending on Grid Peak Shave to keep loads under gen limits, to avoid gen overloads and power outages.

As I have mentioned before, I do like Sol-Ark inverters! They are my #1 choice for an AIO. For most installs once the system is installed it just works! It's often the sites that have unique needs and/or specs that bring up that bugs. And the difference is that for a "standard" install we know what we need to do to work around the bugs...... which isn't how it should be, even though it works.

I assume you are referring to my comment earlier. I should probably have clarified that I was referring to more than just this migration. I am tired of software bugs that cause things like intermittent lapses of PV production, non working gen limit (I guess this seems to possibly be more hardware than software), no proper auto start menu (more of an issue for off-grid), CT sensor reading limitations, etc. There have just been a lot of things over the last few years that keep popping up. Some things we can use workarounds to overcome (such as using 3rd party auto start), but other things are just there (such as intermittent PV production issues).
Do these issues also affect the 240V Deye inverters available outside the solark north America 120/240 split phase exclusive distribution area? Does solark have firmware coders that can fix these bugs or are they at the mercy of the Deye mother ship and their firmware folks? Seems like some of these issues have lingered for a while?

Do these issues also affect the 240V Deye inverters available outside the solark north America 120/240 split phase exclusive distribution area? Does solark have firmware coders that can fix these bugs or are they at the mercy of the Deye mother ship and their firmware folks? Seems like some of these issues have lingered for a while?
I once watched a YT video by SunSynk where Keith was proclaiming the bidirectional ability of the inverter while describing the Gen input functioning with Gen Peak Shaving. Either SunSynk revised the firmware to make it work or Sol-Ark modified the firmware and broke this function.

Some of these are supposedly getting worked on (such as CT sensor limitation, for example), so it does seem like they do coding in-house now. I don't know if that was always the case or not. I do hope that this also means that with time most of these bugs will get ironed out.

Probably some of the reason that I am a bit touchy on the bugs is the fact that I have had people/someone from Sol-Ark tell me flat-out that the 15K is pretty much fully "developed", and that there probably won't be any changes to existing products. This was in reference to auto start menu and lack of accurate battery SOC% tracking, specifically. Since then I have reason to believe that Sol-Ark is actively working on bugs and overall improvement. I guess you can be careful to not base your perception of a company off of one bad actor. (Though I believe there have been a few "bad actors" in the case of Sol-Ark specifically.)

I once watched a YT video by SunSynk where Keith was proclaiming the bidirectional ability of the inverter while describing the Gen input functioning with Gen Peak Shaving. Either SunSynk revised the firmware to make it work or Sol-Ark modified the firmware and broke this function.
Was this SunSynk inverter a single phase or splits phase inverter? (I know, I know, it is really just center tapped single phase. :LOL:)

The reason I ask is because a single phase inverter would only need one internal CT sensor. The "split phase" Sol-Ark, with L1 and L2, has (seemingly) only a single CT.

The other thing to keep in mind is that as long as loads are pretty much balanced, it does mostly work. It's when loads become unbalanced too much that things begin to go "haywire".

Back before the 15K was out, the 12K could use the external CT sensors for Grid OR gen input! Then at some point the firmware no longer supported the use of the external CT sensors for gen, only for grid. I assume this was a Sol-Ark written firmware "update". I wish they would add the option to select "CT sensors on Grid/Gen lines". That would work great, as the Grid input has 2 CT sensors and Grid Peak Shave can function without using CT sensors.

Was this SunSynk inverter a single phase or splits phase inverter? (I know, I know, it is really just center tapped single phase. :LOL:)
It probably was a single phase inverter. However, if I recall correctly, an external CT was required.

Just realized that Mysolark shows last data was the 7th.

Edit, now I do. Browser issue? Hmmm.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back