diy solar

diy solar

The perfect Aliexpress Lifepo4 order... Well, almost.

meetyg

Solar Enthusiast
If anyone has been following my posts lately, I've been complaining on how hard it is to get Lifepo4 cells here in the Middle East.

While it's pretty easy to get smaller cells online, like Topband 25Ah, or some no-name 13Ah cells, it's a real hassle trying to get the larger cells. I've been dreaming on getting my hands on some 280Ah EVE cells.
I've contacted Docan, Lyuan and some of the other reputable Alibaba sellers, but some won't ship to my region at all and some will, but only by air, which costs more than the cells themselves.

Anyways, I tried my luck getting some EVE style 105Ah. I contacted a seller on Aliexpress and ordered 4 x 105Ah cells.
The seller promised no hidden fees, but they had to split into two boxes (I guess to avoid customs fees or something).
I said I didn't mind that, as long as they were properly packaged. So I ordered these on 8th of August for 370 USD including shipping.
The seller provided two separate tracking numbers, one for each box.

They came in yesterday! No additional fees as seller promised.

But don't go and order just yet... There's more to this story.
So, packaging was great, two cells in each box.
20220824_152423.jpg

The cells look pretty nice, no bulging/swelling, QR code in tact, welded terminals. Looked similar to real EVE 105Ah cells (I think the model number is LF105).
20220824_152434.jpg

Perfectly flat:
20220824_152638.jpg

I felt like I hit the jackpot!
But just for fun, I decided to check out the QR codes and here's were things got interesting.
First, all cells were manufactured in early 2021 (Feb-March), not bad I thought.
But then I noticed that it says they are EVE LF90K, not 105 Ah !
Screenshot_20220824-153329_Chrome.jpg

What a bummer, I thought to myself...
I compared the datasheet of the LF90K to the LF105. It seems that the 90K has some advantages, like higher cycle life (6000) and higher continuous discharge rate (2C compared to 1C).
But of course they have lower capacity.

I contacted the seller about this. He gave a strange answer and said to ignore the QR code. He said that these are 100Ah cells (what happened to 105Ah as advertised, I dont know...). I told him that I will do a capacity test. He recommended to charge up to 3.65v, and discharge to 2.0v, with 5 amps discharge current.
Of course I didn't listen to him... discharging to 2.0v is too low (not much capacity between 2.5v and 2.0v anyways). Also, 5 amp discharge is also a very low current.
So I did my regular capacity test, from 3.65v to 2.5v @10A.
Got 91.8Ah.
20220825_153809.jpg
20220825_153730.jpg

So of course I opened a dispute, asking for a $60 refund (relative to the difference in capacity).
We'll see how it goes.

But I'm kinda mixed about this seller and what I got. I mean he was very communicative, price was low, got the cells fast. I didn't expect to get genuine EVE cells, but I did. As mentioned, these are the higher cycle version. When I compared the total price I paid (before dispute refund) with other reputable suppliers online for LF90K cells, the price was almost the same per cell.

On the other hand, they advertised 105Ah cells and sold 90Ah cells...

What can I say...
P.S. Because I was ready for this to be a scam, of course I paid with PayPal. But I also placed an order for 8 cells (LF105) from Gobel Power. Had to add 136 dollars on top of the shipping price on site and also had to settle for sea shipment (air fright again was more than the cells). All in all, the order from Gobel cost me 850 USD and I'm still waiting for delivery. That makes the 105Ah cells from Gobel slightly more than the 90Ah cells I got from the Aliexpress seller, proportional to the difference in capacity.

Just wanted to share...
(Please ignore the mess on my desk... I'm working on multiple projects simultaneously, LOL).

Attachments

• 20220824_152528.jpg
    20220824_152528.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Looks like a different cell than mine. Yours has a larger stud and mine has an M4 hole in the top. Why don't they just sell them as what they are. My Amazon seller said the code was not relavant that capacity was what mattered and they failed there as well. I got 92Ah from mine. Made in March of 2021. LF90k. They are banking on the fact that most people don't have the time and resources to test these batteries.

If anyone has been following my posts lately, I've been complaining on how hard it is to get Lifepo4 cells here in the Middle East.

While it's pretty easy to get smaller cells online, like Topband 25Ah, or some no-name 13Ah cells, it's a real hassle trying to get the larger cells. I've been dreaming on getting my hands on some 280Ah EVE cells.
I've contacted Docan, Lyuan and some of the other reputable Alibaba sellers, but some won't ship to my region at all and some will, but only by air, which costs more than the cells themselves.

Anyways, I tried my luck getting some EVE style 105Ah. I contacted a seller on Aliexpress and ordered 4 x 105Ah cells.
The seller promised no hidden fees, but they had to split into two boxes (I guess to avoid customs fees or something).
I said I didn't mind that, as long as they were properly packaged. So I ordered these on 8th of August for 370 USD including shipping.
The seller provided two separate tracking numbers, one for each box.

They came in yesterday! No additional fees as seller promised.

But don't go and order just yet... There's more to this story.
So, packaging was great, two cells in each box.
View attachment 108440

The cells look pretty nice, no bulging/swelling, QR code in tact, welded terminals. Looked similar to real EVE 105Ah cells (I think the model number is LF105).
View attachment 108442

Perfectly flat:
View attachment 108449

I felt like I hit the jackpot!
But just for fun, I decided to check out the QR codes and here's were things got interesting.
First, all cells were manufactured in early 2021 (Feb-March), not bad I thought.
But then I noticed that it says they are EVE LF90K, not 105 Ah !
View attachment 108455

What a bummer, I thought to myself...
I compared the datasheet of the LF90K to the LF105. It seems that the 90K has some advantages, like higher cycle life (6000) and higher continuous discharge rate (2C compared to 1C).
But of course they have lower capacity.

I contacted the seller about this. He gave a strange answer and said to ignore the QR code. He said that these are 100Ah cells (what happened to 105Ah as advertised, I dont know...). I told him that I will do a capacity test. He recommended to charge up to 3.65v, and discharge to 2.0v, with 5 amps discharge current.
Of course I didn't listen to him... discharging to 2.0v is too low (not much capacity between 2.5v and 2.0v anyways). Also, 5 amp discharge is also a very low current.
So I did my regular capacity test, from 3.65v to 2.5v @10A.
Got 91.8Ah.
View attachment 108446
View attachment 108444

So of course I opened a dispute, asking for a $60 refund (relative to the difference in capacity).
We'll see how it goes.

But I'm kinda mixed about this seller and what I got. I mean he was very communicative, price was low, got the cells fast. I didn't expect to get genuine EVE cells, but I did. As mentioned, these are the higher cycle version. When I compared the total price I paid (before dispute refund) with other reputable suppliers online for LF90K cells, the price was almost the same per cell.

On the other hand, they advertised 105Ah cells and sold 90Ah cells...

What can I say...
P.S. Because I was ready for this to be a scam, of course I paid with PayPal. But I also placed an order for 8 cells (LF105) from Gobel Power. Had to add 136 dollars on top of the shipping price on site and also had to settle for sea shipment (air fright again was more than the cells). All in all, the order from Gobel cost me 850 USD and I'm still waiting for delivery. That makes the 105Ah cells from Gobel slightly more than the 90Ah cells I got from the Aliexpress seller, proportional to the difference in capacity.

Just wanted to share...
(Please ignore the mess on my desk... I'm working on multiple projects simultaneously, LOL).
You only got 267 Watt hours that is supposed to be a 336 WH cell, so 267/336 = 79% of the capacity

One thing I'd like to throw out there for others.......

The EVE 105 cells come from the factory with M4 threaded holes. Unlike the larger cells, these are done at the factory and have considerably better fit and finish. I would recommend buying them this way, and forgo the addition of the welded on stainless steel stud. Some red locktite and M4 grub screws works very well with the EVE supplied busbars. Your mileage may vary, but I've been very happy with the LF105 cells supplied this way. Testing gives me an average of 108AH/cell with 2.5v-3.65v range, and 0.25C rate. These cells will easily do 1C discharges all day without breaking a sweat.

One thing I'd like to throw out there for others.......

The EVE 105 cells come from the factory with M4 threaded holes. Unlike the larger cells, these are done at the factory and have considerably better fit and finish. I would recommend buying them this way, and forgo the addition of the welded on stainless steel stud. Some red locktite and M4 grub screws works very well with the EVE supplied busbars. Your mileage may vary, but I've been very happy with the LF105 cells supplied this way. Testing gives me an average of 108AH/cell with 2.5v-3.65v range, and 0.25C rate. These cells will easily do 1C discharges all day without breaking a sweat.
The problem with the threaded terminals is that they strip out too easily. Even with grub screws (that are usually stainless steel) it's common to over tighten and strip (just search for some posts here on the forum).
BTW, you need to use a special Loctite (don't remember the number right now) that is compatible with dissimilar metals, is using SS grub screws. You also need to make sure that they are leveled (could put a nut on them) while the Loctite is drying, or else you will have problems with busbar contacts.
These are just some recommendations I've read around the forum and implemented with a pack of real EVE 105Ah cells I got (from Gobelpower.com) in addition to the Aliexpress ones.

The problem with the threaded terminals is that they strip out too easily. Even with grub screws (that are usually stainless steel) it's common to over tighten and strip (just search for some posts here on the forum).
BTW, you need to use a special Loctite (don't remember the number right now) that is compatible with dissimilar metals, is using SS grub screws. You also need to make sure that they are leveled (could put a nut on them) while the Loctite is drying, or else you will have problems with busbar contacts.
These are just some recommendations I've read around the forum and implemented with a pack of real EVE 105Ah cells I got (from Gobelpower.com) in addition to the Aliexpress ones.

I've used the method I mentioned for a couple of years and had zero problems. Certainly zero stripped threads. You mileage may vary.
The M4 holes are factory drilled, and won't be crooked like some have reported with the "we hired someone for a dollar to tap them for you" vendor drilled holes. The factory drilled holes are light years ahead of the aftermarket tapped and drilled holes, the fit and finish is noticeably different.

Of course my cells came from EVE.

Back