diy solar

diy solar

The Real Reason LA port is backed up

BMcL

Solar Enthusiast
The trucking issue with California LA ports, ie the Port of Los Angeles (POLA) and the Port of Long Beach (POLB), is that all semi tractors have to be current with new California emissions standards. As a consequence, that mean trucks cannot be older than 3 years if they are to pick up or deliver containers at those ports. This issue wipes out approximately half of the fleet trucks used to move containers in/out of the port. Operating the port 24/7 will not cure the issue, because all it does is pile up more containers that sit idle as they await a limited number of trucks to pick them up. THIS is the central issue.

hOn9g-Nq

So we just need to use electric trucks. I am sure Elon will ramp up production. The law of unintended consequences.

So we just need to use electric trucks. I am sure Elon will ramp up production. The law of unintended consequences.
I don't think giving in to idiotic rules is a solution. Sue the pants off the California Air Resources board !

Actually, I just read that Savanah and New Orleans are trying to get ships to go there. Less backed up perhaps?
Oh and I am old enough to remember that when you flew into LA the sky turned this nasty dodge dart brown color. Its still pretty hazy but nowhere near as bad as it was. Those rules actually server a purpose.

Also I sense a trend for anything reported from a "conservative" group is politically biased against anything that goes against big oil.
I assume the Koch brothers are probably behind this.

Just at the port?
The new trucks can run a loop dragging trailers outside the gates. Disconnect and go back for another while an old smoky diesel hooks up to take them the rest of the way.

All I know is I want my damn PC components.

All I know is I want my damn Windows XP and previous version websites back.
I used to be able to browse the web with a 1995 model Tecra laptop, fully stuffed with 32 MB of RAM and a 1 GB HDD.

Just at the port?
The new trucks can run a loop dragging trailers outside the gates. Disconnect and go back for another while an old smoky diesel hooks up to take them the rest of the way.

All I know is I want my damn Windows XP and previous version websites back.
I used to be able to browse the web with a 1995 model Tecra laptop, fully stuffed with 32 MB of RAM and a 1 GB HDD.
Whoa there boomer. :)

I am waiting on a 3080TI to get in stock at a friend's business, to go along with a 5900x build to replace my 6700k and 1080TI.

I started on windows 3.1 though and for a shockingly long period of my life, and I'd bet I am younger than you - which is really odd in conversations with the older folks who should have MORE experience with that system than me.

Drayage trucks older than 2010 models are only required to meet 2010 CARB emissions standards. This can be accomplished with filters (ARB verified level 3 diesel particulate filter) or engines can be replaced with newer to meet the standard. I have no idea how that regulation translates to only 3 year old vehicles can enter the port?

Whoa there boomer. :)

I am waiting on a 3080TI to get in stock at a friend's business, to go along with a 5900x build to replace my 6700k and 1080TI.

I started on windows 3.1 though and for a shockingly long period of my life, and I'd bet I am younger than you - which is really odd in conversations with the older folks who should have MORE experience with that system than me.

I never did Windows 3.1
I used Unix or Macintosh systems at work back then, among others.
I remember when Apple took out a full page ad in the Murky News, "CNGRTS.W95"

My first (commercially made) computer was a CompuPro S-100 8085/8088 running CP/M and MP/M. Implemented an X-Y plotter with stepper motors and Forth.
Before that I wire-wrapped a Z-80 with 1kB of 2102. Programmed by pushbuttons.
In high school, ASR-33 teletype to Honeywell 6000.
College, Hollerith cards to run Fortran. PDP-xx with toggle switches to program.
Then I joined HP and designed computers (custom NMOS ASICs implementing HP-PA RISC.) Well, part of a team, so I implemented part of it.

Back in grammar school, made an adder out of Lego gears.

Right now, I'm using a Dell 7720 Precision workstation. First time in a while I've over-bought computer, more than my present needs.
I use it for general PC/web stuff, also with USB-GPIB dongle to control instruments. (At work, USB and Ethernet instruments give me much more trouble.)

But mostly, I'm a Luddite.

Drayage trucks older than 2010 models are only required to meet 2010 CARB emissions standards. This can be accomplished with filters (ARB verified level 3 diesel particulate filter) or engines can be replaced with newer to meet the standard. I have no idea how that regulation translates to only 3 year old vehicles can enter the port?

The issue is that the emission equipment is a major expense. Once the cats, filters, and emission equipment needs to be replace (about every 100,000 - 200,000 miles), the cost is more then the truck is worth. So the truck is replaced, and the old one is sold out of state with no emission requirement. 100,000 to 200,000 miles is about 3 years of driving.

What everyone used to do, was order a "glider" or engine less truck from Mack, Kenworth, etc, and put in a pre 2010 engine into it. Under federal law, the emission standards follow the engine, so a 2021 truck would not have to have to follow 2021 emission standards. You get a simple 2010 engine that can go millions of miles between rebuilds, and be rebuilt again and again. It greatly lowered your operating cost.

They started looking for pre 2010 engines as part of truck inspections and truck stops. All of sudden, all those trucks where taken off the road.

So operating a semi became far more expensive in CA. Now we see 1 ton pickup trucks hauling containers down the road.
Oh, and that F350? if you meet the right requirements, you have to register it as commercial, put the CA sticker on the side, and have a commercial license and insurance. Even if it's your personal truck.

Last edited:
I still think the back log is primarily more containers. I believe the previous peak was 7,000,000; 2020 came to 8,000,000; 2021 is looking to exceed 9,000,000 containers.

Also remember reports that container trains to Chicago were stopped for a few weeks in the middle of this due to all warehouses full. This indicates to me all logistics are maxed out.

Just local trucks? Due to emissions requirements? Not buying on this line.

Its kind of funny how the Government tells you a different reason every week. The first one I heard was that there was a high demand for goods and the manufactures where struggling to keep up with demand. This made no sense as why would there be ships waiting to unload if this was true?
It would be the opposite, there would be no ships at the ports and the docks would be fairly empty!

The second reason was that there was a record surge for stores to restock after buying very little during the Pandemic. This sounded a bit more reasonable but after a two month or three you have to wonder why it would take this long.

Then I heard some theories about the Panama Canal blockage had cause a domino type backup with ships. That lost credibility as the weeks passed.

The third and most current reason is that the ports are short staffed and they need to stay open longer to deal with the piled up cargo.

Now I have worked abroad and happened to see this same thing happen to our company when the Government of the Country we had our facility at introduced a bunch of Tariffs on Certain Items. Items that had once came through the ports with almost zero paper work now needed to have paper work from a broker and all the cargo had to be inspected by a customs agent. Now I don't know how Customs in America works when it comes to containers but Trump did introduce a Tariff on goods from China. I would assume that someone has to do an entry for every container from China and then pay the Tariff and the container would need to be inspected. That would require a lot more trained man power than what they used before the Tariffs came into effect.

Last edited:
Its kind of funny how the Government tells you a different reason every week. The first one I heard was that there was a high demand for goods and the manufactures where struggling to keep up with demand. This made no sense as why would there be ships waiting to unload if this was true?
It would be the opposite, there would be no ships at the ports and the docks would be fairly empty!

The second reason was that there was a record surge for stores to restock after buying very little during the Pandemic. This sounded a bit more reasonable but after a two month or three you have to wonder why it would take this long.

Then I heard some theories about the Panama Canal blockage had cause a domino type backup with ships. That lost credibility as the weeks passed.

The third and most current reason is that the ports are short staffed and they need to stay open longer to deal with the piled up cargo.

Now I have worked abroad and happened to see this same thing happen to our company when the Government of the Country we had our facility at introduced a bunch of Tariffs on Certain Items. Items that had once come through the ports with almost zero paper work now needed to have paper work from a broker and all the cargo had to be inspected by a customs agent. Now I don't know how Customs in America works when it comes to containers but Trump did introduce a Tariff on goods from China. I would assume that someone has to do an entry for every container from China and then pay the Tariff and the container would need to be inspected. That would require a lot more trained man power than what they used before the Tariffs came into effect.

The tariff paperwork has always existed. I have been hit with it a few times depending on what I ordered. I deal with electronics. The new tariff Trump put into place was a 25% fee on electronic parts. Not completed items. So sub assembles for items that are going to be assembled in the US, got an extra 25% fee. The paperwork adds a few days delays for me, but I deal with smaller items.

Completed items, like Phone and anything else ready to ship, do not have *this* tariff applied.

Back