diy solar

diy solar

The Real Reason LA port is backed up

The link from the OP is not a news article, its a link to an explicitly partisan blog (self described "band of conservative misfits), with a track record for pushing various conspiracy theories. They seem to have begun with the answer they wanted and worked backwards to bend the facts to fit their narrative. Its disappointing to see people posting this sort of link as if it was news, and without stating biases or the low quality of the source site. We should be more careful/skeptical of the sources that confirm our own biases, or make us feel right or righteous all the time, in most cases those sources are not news and are just feeding you what they know you want to believe/hear.
The new strategy is an army of propaganda pushers working on the concept that if you tell a lie often enough, it will eventually be taken as the truth.

They sign up members to forums like this one and many others, and they flood facebook.. and they are sneaky.. posting just enough appropriate subject matter to be accepted while spreading the propaganda and lies.

Every forum seems to have between 5 and 20 members who make a few posts in line with the website subject. A few solar related postings in a solar forum, a few motorcycle related posts in the motorcycle forum, etc. After being there for a while, they start in with the propaganda.

No way is that a coincidence.

The new strategy is an army of propaganda pushers working on the concept that if you tell a lie often enough, it will eventually be taken as the truth.

They sign up members to forums like this one and many others, and they flood facebook.. and they are sneaky.. posting just enough appropriate subject matter to be accepted while spreading the propaganda and lies.

Every forum seems to have between 5 and 20 members who make a few posts in line with the website subject. A few solar related postings in a solar forum, a few motorcycle related posts in the motorcycle forum, etc. After being there for a while, they start in with the propaganda.

No way is that a coincidence.
Really ? The delays are normal business congestion caused by consumers who are buying too many goods ?
California passes a law which effectively bans 50% of truckers and that isn't related to shipping problems at all ?
It might not be the total problem, but if I was in charge, it would be the first thing I would correct.

California passes a law which effectively bans 50% of truckers and that isn't related to shipping problems at all ?
It might not be the total problem, but if I was in charge, it would be the first thing I would correct.
I will say it again.... trucks are waiting extended periods to be loaded. More trucks just increases the wait times.

If instead trucks could roll up and immediately load, I am thinking more trucks will show up. Truckers want to work. Many get paid nothing to wait in line.

Really ? The delays are normal business congestion caused by consumers who are buying too many goods ?

I think there are a lot of people who: 1) Don't care about the speed at which the Chinese garbage is delivered 2) Are happy you're not in charge.

Californians, like every other state, have the right to elect officials who's policies are agreeable with those who live and vote there.

Seems to me that the slow down in Chinese crap flooding our nation might be good for domestic businesses, and that would be good for the economy.. So what's the problem?

I think there are a lot of people who: 1) Don't care about the speed at which the Chinese garbage is delivered 2) Are happy you're not in charge.

Californians, like every other state, have the right to elect officials who's policies are agreeable with those who live and vote there.

Seems to me that the slow down in Chinese crap flooding our nation might be good for domestic businesses, and that would be good for the economy.. So what's the problem?
People don't care that grocery store shelves are empty ?
When Trump was trying to make businesses move back to the USA or face tariffs, did you support him ?
People are leaving California if you haven't noticed.

Our food, including organic, is being imported from China.
Chinese people who can afford it import food from the U.S.
Is that what's called a win-win?

My grocery stores are generally well stocked. No real shortages in CA that I am aware of.

I supported Trumps tariffs initially. No real sign of jobs coming back so the effect has been higher prices (inflation). Maybe 25% was not enough? But still prices would be going up to be made in US. Turned out to be another failed Trump policy.

Yes a slight drop in CA population for 2020 as the people can cash out and have a lower cost lifestyle somewhere else. Not sure if this is the beginning of a trend but we are a bit overrun with people and a housing shortage so maybe it is for the best. The productive people are still thriving.

Want to see something funny? Watch the Punjab truckers pull in . Blow the horn at the container loading crew. Talk about slowing down. It might take 2 hrs to get him a load. They dont get " dont piss off the unions.

People don't care that grocery store shelves are empty ?
When Trump was trying to make businesses move back to the USA or face tariffs, did you support him ?
People are leaving California if you haven't noticed.

I certainly don't care about the store shelves as I have years worth of supplies.. As for others, what is missing that you think is important?

My wife doesn't seem to have any issues bringing home common things like meat, milk, cheese and other perishables. From my own perspective, and this is just my perspective, it seems to me that people are crying because they can't have every spoiled stupid thing they want..

Is there a shortage of something serious? Meat? Dairy? Vegetables? Fruits? Bread? Or is Soccer-Mom-Karen upset because she can't buy a new pair of shoes for little Jimmy because he no longer likes the color of the ones he has?

I understand there's a problem and its affecting some of our luxuries.. but I think its important to put the problem in proper context.

Our family has not experienced any shortages, and I have not tapped any emergency supplies. I am happy to report that all my Christmas shopping is done.. Also, after not purchasing any in the last ten years, I also discovered I'm running short on oil and fuel filters for my tractor and had no problem getting more in.

My point is there are plenty of trucks regardless of the required emissions mandate in the OP.
Agreed. As @robby pointed out some time ago it is the lack of "carriers", trailers or chassis as this article from the WSJ points out.

Reactions: Dzl
First thing? If you believe anything the WSJ printed or the link that @robby posted to an analysis from a Logistics executive it very well may be a shortage of classes, carriers or trailers. Certainly the facts appear to be a paucity of trucks towing empty carriers which could be a shortage of either trucks or carriers or both. My understanding is it takes a carrier just to get a container off a ship and moved to a staging area where the containers can be loaded onto trains. It all depends on where you are standing.

Last edited:
Agreed. As @robby pointed out some time ago it is the lack of "carriers", trailers or chassis as this article from the WSJ points out.
Have also read there is no place to unload the empties so they stay on the chassis waiting for a place to offload. The daily charge to the carriers for stranded containers should reduce this issue. I have seen some flat bed trucks with stacked brand new chassis being hauled toward LA/LB area. All the fixes take time. Can't flip a switch and it all goes away.

Yes, the U.S. still builds its own military ships.
I think it lost all commercial shipbuilding industry.

That is a key industry which can help a country win a major war.

Any job worth doing, is worth doing badly.

Any job worth doing, is worth doing badly.

LOL.. Such bogus testing is so commonplace I'm surprised she was even prosecuted. She must have refused sexual advances by someone or in some other way made someone angry at her.

I spent 20 years in the automotive industry and only about 10% of testing is actually legit.. the rest is rubber-stamped..

One example: We had to test each batch of parts from each production run.. but the testing could take up to two weeks to complete.. so our customer asked us to fake the results.. In fact, they asked so often, I just wrote a program where the shipping girl just plugged in the batch number and the computer created random numbers within the assigned ranges for each specification and then printed them out on a paper with fancy graphics.
Why does this happen? Because the automotive companies demand timely delivery called "just in time" so they don't have to hold stock on the floor.. they would then send the production release to the company and expect the parts within a time frame that made it impossible to complete the proper tests. If you order parts on Monday and you expect them delivered by Thursday, its not possible to conduct a 5 day test on them. They knew it, we knew it, no one cared.

This goes on in all industries all the time. This is why, in the case of the posted link, there was no greed or personal enrichment.. She was probably just trying to meet the required (unreasonable) schedule.

Something tells me this wasn't a case where the customer wanted the results faked to expedite delivery.
The alloy was actually developed for this particular application.

An awful lot of science goes into the welding!

"As well as the obvious need for a hull strong enough not to be crushed at depth, the cyclical effect of hundreds of dives over a submarine's lifetime"

So now we get to buy replacement subs sooner. Or rather, try not to let them fail before the new subs already on order are ready.

Something tells me this wasn't a case where the customer wanted the results faked to expedite delivery.
The alloy was actually developed for this particular application.

An awful lot of science goes into the welding!

"As well as the obvious need for a hull strong enough not to be crushed at depth, the cyclical effect of hundreds of dives over a submarine's lifetime"

So now we get to buy replacement subs sooner. Or rather, try not to let them fail before the new subs already on order are ready.
...... and .... do your own testing!!!

Dang ..... can you imagine serving on one of those things and now knowing the steel is inferior?

Back