diy solar

diy solar

The 'REAL" VHB tape for mounting solar panels?

Directshort

I need to mount a panel asap for somebody traveling and need to source the correct VBN tape for the roof mounts but I have tried a couple different varieties and none of them hold up.
It seems 3M has a bajillion different varieties of VB tape with different model numbers to designate strength etc so does anybody have a link for the correct high strength stuff that's supposed to be like a permanent bond for mounting panels?
An Amazon link would be super so I can get these folks back on the road quicker.

Thanks for the help. I actually tried the one on Will's link on another project but like some of the reviewers did not have any luck with that particular tape evn on properly prepped surfaces. I had some mounts with really good adhesion and the tape had a red label (not the white like in the link) but can't seem to find the right version again.

I have had fantastic results from this one
prep- temps- and humidity during install all play factors.. Plus things like car wash chems will also effect lifespan of the adhesives

I have used VHB 4950 on between IBR roof and unistrut, without issues for 3 years so far.

I've had the gray VHB tape with red liner on my Solar panels for 4 years.

When you prep really well, that stuff sticks. My flexible panels failed both, so I had to get that tape of.
Really really hard to get removed. Took me two days of grinding and repainting the roof.

This is stuff is called "permanent" for a reason, you can not correct it once it's on there it stays. No chance that wind will rip it of when you used enough and prepped well.

"and humidity during install all play factors"

I am anal about surface prep but never factored in humidity and both times I tried Will's recommended tape come to think of it it was like 99% humidity outside so maybe that messed me up.
Where I live the humidity is off the charts all summer so does the moisture just ruin the bond or just slow the drying process?

Last edited:
When ever mounting panels with any type of adhesive to your roof failure is always a possibility if only on a small percentage of times.
Wise to always use a safety tether attachment from panel to a strong fixed point on the roof for a fail safe install. Very easy to do and will keep your panel from flying free if the bond fails and causing catastrophic damage or death to someone behind you while traveling at freeway speeds.
I used Sikaflex 252 to bond my mounts because VHB is quite thin and must be used on a flat true surface for strength I used tethers also.

No worries about decapitating the guy behind me Lol as I am super paranoid about that and use a couple through bolts in the front two mounts to mitigate the frisbee scenario.
I do need to bone up on Silkaflex having never used it.

Back