diy solar

diy solar

The RV Power Trailer

xprimnt

Hi all,

I am in preliminary stages of planning, but because things take so long to ship I thought I would start begging for questions! Thanks for the wealth of knowledge already present on these forums, and thanks in advance for your time and mental-planning along with me.

Use Scenario:
-Off-Grid
-Stationary-but-movable (we will be setting up in one location, clearing out an area for more permanent setup and moving there)
-The thought was to make a "Shorepower Mobile". RVs can plug in (like we were at a campground) to the trailer or movable shed that contains the system with just a few panels on top but have multiple additional PV inputs from ground mounts. Ideally, I'll come up with a mounting solution that allows for take down and setup without too much work but that is a future problem. Hopefully, most of the solar panels can also be tossed in the trailer when moving locations.

The Problem:
-One of the RVs is massive. And not an RV. The Tiny House is 50A 240V with no built in battery system. Other RVs (2) are standard 30A 120V.
-Friends. See "stretch question" below.

I've attached two drawings, one was my original plan (very preliminary, need to work out grounds, breakers, all the connector and wiring sizes, etc).

Untitled_Artwork 1.png

And here is the stretch plan/question. The energy audit/estimate and sizing seems very doable in the above setup. However, as soon as I planned things out, I had a question about guests visiting with their own RVs... Which would be really nice if I could work out the additional items. Then I thought... Since I've oversized the battery bank and the Growatt 12kW are quite reasonably priced... is there a reason I can't double my system? I was planning on potentially needing to add an additional SCC as the Growatt can only take 7kW PV in, but if instead of a SCC I just added a WHOLE ADDITIONAL GROWATT... problem solved? Talk about scope creep...

Untitled_Artwork.png

Main Questions:
- General thoughts on above? Better ideas?
- Using two inverters in parallel (but not "paralleled" or stacked, as the Growatt 12kW doesn't do that) from one battery bank?
- I have yet to work out the breakers/grounding. I will be going through grounding things today, but my general thoughts were to ground to the chassis of the trailer, and then consider grounding the trailer to a ground rod in the locations chosen if they are semipermanent. Thoughts?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Thanks for the document @boondox !

Looks like it has a bit more focus on AC / Grid interaction than I will have, but at least they have looked into it a bit.

I guess my basic question is that the battery bank doesn't really care what the "load" is, right? It can be another inverter that also happens to be an additional SCC? The "load" would be feeding AC to different RV(s), so the units don't need to "stack" their output.

Correct. Since you aren't trying to connect the output of the inverter side together they do not need to sync with each other. The battery doesn't care what the load is at all.

You just have to be very careful not to exceed the maximum amps that the one battery bank’s BMS will allow.

Back