The secret to compression

thegoogler

Solar Enthusiast
If you want a rigid plate instead of a flexible bladder, just put a plate between the cell and the bladder(s) to distribute the force. i.e.

bladder -> plate -> 3.2V cells -> plate -> bladder

I personally wouldn't want a flexible rubber/poly-something/etc bladder against a sharp corner of a metal cell anyway, but to each their own.

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
I know a TON has been written on this topic, and admittedly I am a rookie. However, one concern I read was about the concern of cells passing current between each other with contact. This would explain the various foams mentioned.

I did a trial of cutting a one gallon freezer bag which has two layers and placed it between cells. The advantage of this over the 1/16 foam I have is that it allows a little more spacing for the bus bars. The foam made a tight contact point and would stress the terminals if there was any swelling.

I respect the views on rods, boxes and springs mentioned here. Having theraband on hand, I found this reference table helpful:

Short_Shot

Photon Sorcerer
I know a TON has been written on this topic, and admittedly I am a rookie. However, one concern I read was about the concern of cells passing current between each other with contact. This would explain the various foams mentioned.

I did a trial of cutting a one gallon freezer bag which has two layers and placed it between cells. The advantage of this over the 1/16 foam I have is that it allows a little more spacing for the bus bars. The foam made a tight contact point and would stress the terminals if there was any swelling.

I respect the views on rods, boxes and springs mentioned here. Having theraband on hand, I found this reference table helpful:

I used those thin cutting board mats. Stuff is less than a 32nd thick.

Theraband is only rated in elongation though. There's no data there on compression.

I'm sure I missed more context in the discussion though.