diy solar

diy solar

The Electrodacus SBMS thread (SBMS0, DSSR50, etc)

I was about to suggest having something like a pi zero with camera attached close by so you could view the LCD over a network, but I guess you'd have to add some type of servo to adjust the buttons to get out of the screensaver mode of the lcd... ha.

Did you ever get anything more elegant than this idea working?
I did not.

I am thinking of trying a different BMS, even though I love the concept of the SBMS0, DSSR20/50 and diversion. Sadly the SBMS0 is just too fragile for clumsy old me in practical use. (I think I damaged one when I had a wire to a shunt break when I moved it and now I get inaccurate current readings at times)

I was about to suggest having something like a pi zero with camera attached close by so you could view the LCD over a network, but I guess you'd have to add some type of servo to adjust the buttons to get out of the screensaver mode of the lcd... ha.

Did you ever get anything more elegant than this idea working?
I’ve done similar recently by adding an A9 usb powered wifi camera , delivered from China for an amazing £2.48 which I guess is $3 to folks in the US. The image quality is only just viable for viewing the tiny numbers on my SBMS-40 display, yet it’s been allowing me to keep an eye on my system while on holiday overseas. For such a meagre price it’s already paid for itself in usefulness over just a couple of weeks’ vacation.

One second thought maybe you could get an esp32 with a built-in camera, and if need be, the esp32 could easily control a servo to adjust buttons. It could probably just hit buttons, then wait two seconds and then snap a photo and post to a local address.

I'm no coder, but I finally gave up and got a free chapgpt account. It is amazing... I could write the above into chatgpt and it would spit out workable code and give me hints on how to physically hook it all up.

I need to move my entire system and I've been reluctant since it is working so well right now...

Edit before posting... Sverige, I think you've just undercut both of my ideas on price. Is there a setting to keep the display on or how do you activate it? Very cool idea.

Edit before posting... Sverige, I think you've just undercut both of my ideas on price. Is there a setting to keep the display on or how do you activate it? Very cool idea.
My SBMS-40 is the green “3D brothers edition“ version with always-on LCD backlight. In fact I wish I could disable it as it’s a needless power leach during winter, but the way they’ve built the device it’s always lit whatever setting is selected in Dacian’s software.

Back