diy solar

diy solar

The vaccinated are more likely to catch Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedges

I See Electromagnetic Fields!

When I hear such claims, I try to look for references, see what if anything is behind it.
Turns out this one is true.

The key contributor is probably given in the headline, that 98% of the U.K. adult population had antibodies (even though only 60% to 65% were vaccinated.)
So naturally occurring immunity from recent infection caused better antibody response than the waning immunity from vaccines given earlier.
The statistics probably also reflect that the most vulnerable had already been culled from the unvaccinated population.

However, odds of dying from Covid are substantially lower among the vaccinated.

Full disclosure: I am now vaccinated.
I was at first planning to let other people contribute to herd immunity, while I simply avoided mingling.
I didn't trust a hastily developed vaccine. I pay attention to the pressure for us to take annual flu vaccine even though not very effective, and I want to avoid adjuvants. Some earlier vaccines had high rate of serious side effects.
But, I learned that mRNA vaccines have been under development for many years, and have now had veterinary use for a number of years.
I read the test reports on Pfizer and was impressed.

I avoid following bad advice from government and other sources. I did not get the second shot 3 weeks after the first. Before the 2nd dose was due, I managed to book a shot at 5.5 weeks. I then booked one at 12 weeks, but out of concern for the coming Delta, I got my 2nd at 5.5 weeks. (minor flu like symptoms on second day.)

Thus far, I'm not anxious to get a booster. If I decided to, it would be regardless of FDA, CDC, WHO, or other authorization.
Moderna effectiveness wanes more slowly? Could be the 3x larger dose. Could be the 4 weeks to second shot vs. 3 weeks. (do we have any data based on Walmart's having "improperly" given Pfizer doses at 4 weeks for a while?)
I knew that U.K. reported 3x stronger response with 12 weeks vs. 3, so I was ignoring FDA recommendations based on data. I'm still considered properly vaccinated by their standards, because they had data on 3 to 6 weeks and knew any in that range provided immunity.

We get a lot of lies. When I first read of Bell's Palsy, I looked up prevalence and understood one nurse exhibiting it didn't mean the vaccine caused it.
We were told there were several cases in the test group, but that it was the expected background number.
Out of 35,000 people vaccinated with either Moderna or Pfizer, there were 7 cases of Bells Palsy. Out of the placebo group there was only 1??
I've since read more on that. Out of 35,000 people, 7 cases of Bells Palsy is the expected number. For an entire year. In 2 months, the expected number is 1.4; the single case in control group in 2 months was the real expected number. The 7 cases in the vaccinated group was 5x expected number.

I don't know if they were lying to us, or were incompetent in statistics. I'm inclined to think the latter.
Getting the mRNA shot causes a one-time increase in risk of Bell's Palsy, equivalent to living another year.
Being unvaccinated can protect you from Bell's Palsy - you might die before living a year and having the opportunity to experience it.

My wife's religious organization (Jehovah's Witnesses) reported earlier in the year they had 17,000 Covid deaths worldwide (that's 0.2% of membership).
They just reported that since June in the U.S., 1000 hospitalizations and 450 deaths. Just 1% of each of those was the vaccinated.
Very good numbers, but what I don't have is vaccination rate, to convert that to "per 100,000" or other meaningful figures.
Prior to this announcement, the organization had neither recommend getting vaccination or not, simply noted that none of the vaccines offered in the U.S. contained blood or were otherwise considered forbidden. They still say it is a personal choice, simply presented the statistics they had.

The vaccine does not prevent the infection, it just lessens the severity to a common cold.

People who are vaccinated, including me, are probably more likely to be less careful about getting the infection.. I know that before I was vaccinated, I would wear a mask, use sanitizer, keep my distance from others, etc..

Now that I'm vaccinated, I just ignore all those extra precautions... and I'm just your average person so I assume if I behave that way, others probably do as well.

I still wash my hands a lot, but I always did that..

I'm in an area (Santa Clara County) where Delta was rising in prevalence, so masks mandated again.
There was a period of time when the unvaccinated were allowed to go unmasked. Even though there was a surge in L.A.
Infections in Santa Clara were running about 15 new cases per day. They waited until it rose to 150, 250 cases per day and THEN brought back the mask mandate (not enough people catching Covid before?)

We knew it was coming.
Telling people wearing a mask was no longer necessary was NOT for our health.
It was an attempt to get other people to decide to be vaccinated. Advice to the vaccinated was deliberately something which would risk their health, in an attempt to persuade and help others. (And for political reasons.)
The government does NOT have the individual's best interest in mind. We are each just a number. Government is trying to optimize the overall numbers.
Look out for yourself; no one else is. If you are indoors with others, I suggest wearing a mask. Long Covid hits many of the vaccinated. I think masks are said to give about 2:1 reduction in infection.

For a time, I was being more careful about hand washing, using a piece of paper to grip shopping cart, etc.
Have you heard, "Stop with the hygiene theater, already!"? We know now it is spread by breathing in droplets, not much other paths.
My sister, who works at Stanford, is wearing a mask for the foreseeable future.

However, odds of dying from Covid are substantially lower among the vaccinated.
Did you read the Moderna 40,000 person 6 months study? It showed no effect on the death rate, but did stop people from feeling the symptoms and instead turned them into super spreaders in my opinion.

The Moderna studies have shown no such thing. They basically show the opposite. Death rates are reduced. Infections are reduced.

Granted; Statistics can be used to show whatever results one desires to present by just a simple misquote of facts.

The government does NOT have the individual's best interest in mind. We are each just a number. Government is trying to optimize the overall numbers.
That is the very definition of collectivism and it is what your government is driving towards. The rest of the world is already there. The irony is that while they push for vaccine uptake, they ignore obesity, metabolic disorders cardio/pulmonary disorders and every other major "comorbidity" that not only causes the severe outcomes from infection but reduces the effectiveness of the vaccine. They are perfectly happy to mandate a vaccine but are not willing to infringe on any ones "right" to be unhealthy in a 1000 different ways. IMO covid doesnt kill very many people at all. It is simply the straw that broke the camels back, and there are a lot of camels out there teetering on the edge.

That is the very definition of collectivism and it is what your government is driving towards. The rest of the world is already there. The irony is that while they push for vaccine uptake, they ignore obesity, metabolic disorders cardio/pulmonary disorders and every other major "comorbidity" that not only causes the severe outcomes from infection but reduces the effectiveness of the vaccine. They are perfectly happy to mandate a vaccine but are not willing to infringe on any ones "right" to be unhealthy in a 1000 different ways. IMO covid doesnt kill very many people at all. It is simply the straw that broke the camels back, and there are a lot of camels out there teetering on the edge.
All the stuff in bold is caused by sugar, specifically a single sugar molecule called Fructose. It has permeated our society in almost every product we consume. You expect to find it in candy and cake, but they even put it in tomato paste, bread, peanut butter, etc. , and its in almost every product now.

Lack of fiber + high sugar intake = heart attack, obesity, metabolic disorder, high blood pressure, etc. Only about 10% to 15% of people are immune from its affects.

I had high blood pressure 160/90, and cholesterol >300.. 5 years of statins and blood pressure meds brought me down to 150/80 and dropped my cholesterol to the 270 range.. and I still felt like crap.

Learned about sugar, found it, cut it all out.. Within 1 year, my blood pressure dropped to 120/70 and my cholesterol is 180. I didn't loose weight, didn't start some physical exercise program, none of that.. Just stopped eating foods with any sugar in them. The only sugar I consume now is found in fruit, and I eat the entire fruit with all the associated fiber.

My wife, who is quite tall and thin, also had high cholesterol.. not too high, but higher than what is considered healthy.. she cut out her sugar and the same thing happened.

Sugar isn't easily found in nature like proteins and fats are.. Only once a year in the fall when fruits ripen is sugar available, and it comes packaged with a boat load of fiber, and it happens just before a starvation period (winter).

See Doctor Robert Lustig (University San Francisco) and his research.

I'm in an area (Santa Clara County) where Delta was rising in prevalence, so masks mandated again.
There was a period of time when the unvaccinated were allowed to go unmasked. Even though there was a surge in L.A.
Infections in Santa Clara were running about 15 new cases per day. They waited until it rose to 150, 250 cases per day and THEN brought back the mask mandate (not enough people catching Covid before?)

We knew it was coming.
Telling people wearing a mask was no longer necessary was NOT for our health.
It was an attempt to get other people to decide to be vaccinated. Advice to the vaccinated was deliberately something which would risk their health, in an attempt to persuade and help others. (And for political reasons.)
Look out for yourself; no one else is. If you are indoors with others, I suggest wearing a mask. Long Covid hits many of the vaccinated. I think masks are said to give about 2:1 reduction in infection.

For a time, I was being more careful about hand washing, using a piece of paper to grip shopping cart, etc.
Have you heard, "Stop with the hygiene theater, already!"? We know now it is spread by breathing in droplets, not much other paths.
My sister, who works at Stanford, is wearing a mask for the foreseeable future.

The real problem is that people are ignorant. They can tell you all about a celebrity or sports team, and these days they can tell you all about a politician, but they have no clue what the difference is between a solar flare and a CME, or what joules are, or what pH means.

Our society has gravitated away from scientific interests to social interests. We've gone from interesting hobbies to large backyard decks for hosting parties.

Masks are inclusive protection.. they protect everyone BUT the person wearing it.. The vaccine is exclusive, it doesn't protect anyone except the person who got the vaccine.

Then there's the issue of viral loading, which is probably more important than any other aspect of this virus. A person in a relatively open area who inhales 100 virus particles is going to get far less sick than someone who's in an enclosed crowded area and gets infected with 100,000. The fewer particles you ingest upon infection, the more time your immune system has to ramp up to fight the infection.

Like many other sciencey complicated issues, there are a lot of variables that come into play, and trying to explain them to a bunch of idiots who think fancy shoes and phones are more important than paying off their house, is not going to work.

I've done my share of mask wearing and I did so not because I was told to, but because I knew it was the right thing to do, but now, unless I am going to enter a heavily populated enclosed area, I'm done wearing the mask. It is cumbersome and uncomfortable. The vaccine is universally available and free, if someone doesn't want to get it, that's their freedom of choice, let Darwin have his way.

All the stuff in bold is caused by sugar, specifically a single sugar molecule called Fructose. It has permeated our society in almost every product we consume. You expect to find it in candy and cake, but they even put it in tomato paste, bread, peanut butter, etc. , and its in almost every product now.

Lack of fiber + high sugar intake = heart attack, obesity, metabolic disorder, high blood pressure, etc. Only about 10% to 15% of people are immune from its affects.

I had high blood pressure 160/90, and cholesterol >300.. 5 years of statins and blood pressure meds brought me down to 150/80 and dropped my cholesterol to the 270 range.. and I still felt like crap.

Learned about sugar, found it, cut it all out.. Within 1 year, my blood pressure dropped to 120/70 and my cholesterol is 180. I didn't loose weight, didn't start some physical exercise program, none of that.. Just stopped eating foods with any sugar in them. The only sugar I consume now is found in fruit, and I eat the entire fruit with all the associated fiber.

My wife, who is quite tall and thin, also had high cholesterol.. not too high, but higher than what is considered healthy.. she cut out her sugar and the same thing happened.

Sugar isn't easily found in nature like proteins and fats are.. Only once a year in the fall when fruits ripen is sugar available, and it comes packaged with a boat load of fiber, and it happens just before a starvation period (winter).

See Doctor Robert Lustig (University San Francisco) and his research.
It isnt so much fructose because pretty much all of the straight fructose we get comes from fruit. The principal issue is high fructose corn syrup and I agree 100% with everything you say about it. Consumption of cholesterol is not an issue, ever. The cholesterol that is plugging up arteries is produced in your body as a result of consumption enormous quantities of carbohydrate.

Cutting out sugar is an extremely potent action everyone can take to improve health but most people either dont realize or forget that consuming sugar is not the bodies only source of sugar. Every carbohydrate you consume (except fiber) is broken down by your body and turned into sugar. Bread, rice, potatoes, grains, corn, will all be turned into sugar and have a very similar effect as any of the sugars you consume directly as sugar.

Even protein. If you consume more protein than is required for repair or maintenance, the excess will be turned into glucose (gluconeogenesis). People require very little protein and almost everyone over consumes it.

I was a body builder and mountain biker and I thrived until I was 26 at which point everything crashed and stayed that way until I was almost 40. Chronic fatigue, injuries, depression, anxiety, arthritis, brain fog. Life sucked. after 15 years of following Drs advise I found keto and for the past 8 years life has been amazing. Daily training again, tons of energy, mental clarity. Certainly not for everyone and not everyone requires it like I seem to but worth looking at if your are desperate enough.

Masks are inclusive protection.. they protect everyone BUT the person wearing it.. The vaccine is exclusive, it doesn't protect anyone except the person who got the vaccine.

Masks protect the wearer too.
My wife is fit-tested for an N95 mask, to be worn when she works with a TB patient.

The vaccine, and anything else that reduces spread, also helps protect society in general. With infection rate > 1.0, you have an epidemic. With infection rate < 1.0, only an outbreak.

Every carbohydrate you consume (except fiber) is broken down by your body and turned into sugar. Bread, rice, potatoes, grains, corn, will all be turned into sugar and have a very similar effect as any of the sugars you consume directly as sugar.

Fiber is an important part of the equation. Eat refined white starch, and you absorb the sugar rapidly. Eat foods made of whole grain, and absorption is slowed; the sugar is delivered more slowly and sustains you longer.

It's a twofer - you get hungry sooner so you eat more, and the pharmaceutical industry wins too!

The real problem is that people are ignorant. They can tell you all about a celebrity or sports team, and these days they can tell you all about a politician, but they have no clue what the difference is between a solar flare and a CME, or what joules are, or what pH means.

Our society has gravitated away from scientific interests to social interests. We've gone from interesting hobbies to large backyard decks for hosting parties.

Then there's the issue of viral loading, which is probably more important than any other aspect of this virus. A person in a relatively open area who inhales 100 virus particles is going to get far less sick than someone who's in an enclosed crowded area and gets infected with 100,000. The fewer particles you ingest upon infection, the more time your immune system has to ramp up to fight the infection.

Like many other sciencey complicated issues, there are a lot of variables that come into play, and trying to explain them to a bunch of idiots who think fancy shoes and phones are more important than paying off their house, is not going to work.

I've done my share of mask wearing and I did so not because I was told to, but because I knew it was the right thing to do, but now, unless I am going to enter a heavily populated enclosed area, I'm done wearing the mask. It is cumbersome and uncomfortable. The vaccine is universally available and free, if someone doesn't want to get it, that's their freedom of choice, let Darwin have his way.
I agree with pretty much everything you said, up until the last paragraph. Children and the medically immunocompromised and immunodeficient still need protection from the greater population (aka, herd) - children are dying now alongside all other age groups - it’s not “just the elderly” and those in congregate settings. While I also agree with the Darwin Award philosophy in many instances, sadly this is a public health communicable disease spread through the air we all are exchanging and breathing, especially indoors out in the larger community. And therefore masks are still necessary to mitigate the spread until we reach a level of herd immunity. I’d prefer not getting there the fastest or most natural way, as that means more people will die prematurely and more families will be devastated and more children will be parentless as well as some families will also be childless ….

The thing that has bothered me about the vaccine recommendations is that they have ignored natural immunity ...... the antibodies from having recovered from covid are much better and longer lasting than the vaccine .... still, they are firing people from their jobs merely because they haven't gotten the vaccine.
I have seen a few encouraging examples lately, however, where the employer is actually following the science and recognizing the power of natural immunity..
I am NOT recommending relying on getting Covid so you have natural immunity ..... read on.

They are also ignoring the other things that can be done that will give you better protection. The top 2 things are making sure your vitamin D levels are in the top of the range and taking a zinc supplement that also includes a carrier such as quercitin to help the zinc get into the cells. If you have zinc in your cells, it kills of the Covid when it tries to invade.
I test and keep my vitamin D levels in the upper range.
Darker skinned people have been hit harder by Covid because they tend to have lower vitamin D levels.

I got 2 doses of the Moderna, and am looking closely at the booster. My doctor says definitely get it, and I probably will after I watch things for a bit longer.

So, I'm getting vaccinated, but also doing other things that help keep my immune system in good working order ..... Oh, and I 100% agree that eliminating sugar is a huge benefit. I have adopted what I call .... eliminating empty calories. If it has calories but no nutrition .... don't eat it.
Avoid rancid vegetable oils with too much omega 6 .... go with the saturated fats that have been vilified for no good reason.

Maybe we can discuss this without attacking each other.... take what resonates with you and go for it.

Fiber is an important part of the equation. Eat refined white starch, and you absorb the sugar rapidly. Eat foods made of whole grain, and absorption is slowed; the sugar is delivered more slowly and sustains you longer.
This is a common argument that is made. It is false. Our digestive systems process food as a batch and in stages.

There is far more nuance than I am going to present here but as a simple thread for you to pull on and investigate on your own consider this:

The rate of absorption is one of the primary "assaults" that carbohydrates present to our bodies. Our blood contains a very tightly controlled, small amount of glucose in it. If it starts to dip, if your body is healthy it will begin to make adjustments and you will not even notice what is going on. If your body is not healthy, you will begin to feel tired and "hangry" and be forced to eat. Constantly bombarding your body with carbohydrate rich hyper-palatable food gets you stuck in this mode of dealing with dropping blood sugar by consuming more and your metabolism looses the ability to regulate without consumption.

Your blood has about 4 teaspoons of glucose in it. 3.9 is too low, 4.1 is too high (that is not accurate but is representative of how tightly regulated it is). If you consume a carbohydrate (remember, your food travels through you as a batch), you have a huge dump of sugar introduced into your blood which is managed by a proportional insulin response to dump it into (preferably) muscle tissue, but if muscle tissue if full, the glucose is converted to fats and is shunted into adipose tissue. Most peoples muscle tissue is full so it ends up going into fat storage. Once into muscle tissue glycogen (glucose in muscle tissue) can not come out. Your body can of course pull the fat back out and turn it back into energy but it is not a rapid reversal and takes more time than you have. As I said, the insulin response is proportional to the sugar dump. The result is you often end up overshooting and now blood sugar is low and you are getting hangry again and you are a long time away form getting anything back from your adipose tissue so the only choice is to eat more and repeat the cycle.

The speed at which the carbohydrate enters you blood stream is called the glycemic index the higher the number the faster the sugar is entering your blood stream:

Sweeteners​

• Fructose: 15
  • Coconut sugar: 54
  • Maple syrup: 54
  • Honey: 61
  • Table sugar: 65

Grains​

• Brown rice: 68
  • White rice: 73
  • Whole wheat bread: 74
  • White bread: 75
Basically anything you have learned via mainstream is either wrong or is lacking the required nuance to be relevant.

Edit: I forgot to point out above that whole wheat bread has a significantly higher glycemic index than any of the sweeteners.

Edit again: I also want to point out that the fructose above is actual fructose and not high fructose corn syrup found in soft drinks and basically every other sweetened product.

Last edited:
I agree with pretty much everything you said, up until the last paragraph. Children and the medically immunocompromised and immunodeficient still need protection from the greater population (aka, herd) - children are dying now alongside all other age groups - it’s not “just the elderly” and those in congregate settings. While I also agree with the Darwin Award philosophy in many instances, sadly this is a public health communicable disease spread through the air we all are exchanging and breathing, especially indoors out in the larger community. And therefore masks are still necessary to mitigate the spread until we reach a level of herd immunity. I’d prefer not getting there the fastest or most natural way, as that means more people will die prematurely and more families will be devastated and more children will be parentless as well as some families will also be childless ….
Children dying is horrible. The children that are dying are unhealthy, mainly because their parents are stupid, were misled by what was considered nutrition information for the past 100 years or weak people and give in to the kids wants and feed them a steady diet of hyperpalatable food. This results in many underlying health conditions and predisposes them to disease. And then they die.

Children that are healthy are not at risk. Everyone that is at risk should go find a bubble and let the rest of the world get to work so there is a world to get back to when they can come out of the bubble.

It isnt so much fructose because pretty much all of the straight fructose we get comes from fruit. The principal issue is high fructose corn syrup and I agree 100% with everything you say about it. Consumption of cholesterol is not an issue, ever. The cholesterol that is plugging up arteries is produced in your body as a result of consumption enormous quantities of carbohydrate.

Cutting out sugar is an extremely potent action everyone can take to improve health but most people either dont realize or forget that consuming sugar is not the bodies only source of sugar. Every carbohydrate you consume (except fiber) is broken down by your body and turned into sugar. Bread, rice, potatoes, grains, corn, will all be turned into sugar and have a very similar effect as any of the sugars you consume directly as sugar.

Even protein. If you consume more protein than is required for repair or maintenance, the excess will be turned into glucose (gluconeogenesis). People require very little protein and almost everyone over consumes it.

I was a body builder and mountain biker and I thrived until I was 26 at which point everything crashed and stayed that way until I was almost 40. Chronic fatigue, injuries, depression, anxiety, arthritis, brain fog. Life sucked. after 15 years of following Drs advise I found keto and for the past 8 years life has been amazing. Daily training again, tons of energy, mental clarity. Certainly not for everyone and not everyone requires it like I seem to but worth looking at if your are desperate enough.

That is correct, but not complete.
The term "sugar" is a generic name for a class of molecules we call carbohydrates. There are different kinds of sugars found in different kinds of foods, but most people are only exposed to a handful of them in any quantity worth discussing, and only one of those is actually harmful.

Most sugars, lactose, dextrose, maltose, sucrose, etc etc, are broken down through enzymatic activity into glucose. Every cell in your body, and every living cell on the planet, can metabolize glucose for energy, but when fructose is ingested, there is only one organ in your body that can metabolize it, and there is only one thing it can metabolize it into.

Fructose is metabolized by your liver, and through a series of long enzymatic processes, nearly 100% of it gets turned into cholesterol, and mostly the LDL type which is the bad kind.

When consumed with whole unprocessed fruits, the fructose gets little chance to enter your bloodstream because the fiber that comes with the fruit tends to encapsulate the fructose much like sawdust encapsulates wet chewing gum. Your digestive tract can't get to the fructose because its locked up by the fiber, so most of it just passes through your body.

I'm also on Keto.. high fat, high protein diet.. very few carbs and most of that from vegetables. Just diagnosed myself with a potassium deficiency last week. Muscle cramps, pulled muscles, fatigue.. Googled the nutrition in my (admittedly) narrow diet of high fat foods and found that none of them contained any significant potassium.. Five or six eggs a day at only 36mg each doesn't hardly make a dent. Added two barely yellow bananas a day + spinach + supplements, and by the 2nd day, all my symptoms were gone. Heck, most were gone within 24 hours...

Keto is a dangerous diet of not carefully watched.. the selection of foods is very limited, which limits nutrients. I can only eat so many avocados and spinach and those are the only keto foods that have any significant potassium..

I agree with pretty much everything you said, up until the last paragraph. Children and the medically immunocompromised and immunodeficient still need protection from the greater population (aka, herd) - children are dying now alongside all other age groups - it’s not “just the elderly” and those in congregate settings. While I also agree with the Darwin Award philosophy in many instances, sadly this is a public health communicable disease spread through the air we all are exchanging and breathing, especially indoors out in the larger community. And therefore masks are still necessary to mitigate the spread until we reach a level of herd immunity. I’d prefer not getting there the fastest or most natural way, as that means more people will die prematurely and more families will be devastated and more children will be parentless as well as some family will also be childless ….

Excessive proteins are also hard on your kidneys as they need to work harder to excrete it through the kidneys which wasn’t what it usually processes …. And excessive sugar/carbs eventually will turn into fat depositions … which is then hard on your liver too… We are not taught about nutrition as kids in a way that is meaningful... And even when people did, kids are young and invincible and it’s just older people that needed to worry about obesity and high cholesterol… or it seemed to be before kids were also struggling with obesity… food in our culture seems to be more about comfort and socializing than about healthy and nutrition… I never realized just how much though until this pandemic… there are way too many restaurants these days… and not many are selling nutritional healthy options… and the healthier they are the pricier …. So people are many times making choices based on the prices more than the nutritional basis….
Children dying is horrible. The children that are dying are unhealthy, mainly because their parents are stupid, were misled by what was considered nutrition information for the past 100 years or weak people and give in to the kids wants and feed them a steady diet of hyperpalatable food. This results in many underlying health conditions and predisposes them to disease. And then they die.

Children that are healthy are not at risk. Everyone that is at risk should go find a bubble and let the rest of the world get to work so there is a world to get back to when they can come out of the bubble.
Ok , so they are dispensable individuals and it’s ok for them to die prematurely… oh and they may be type I diabetic too or have childhood cancer, but its their fault or their parents fault and so it’s still not worth the efforts of mitigation to protect them, because they should be culled from the herd rather than protected! Still not in agreement with such, but if you are, this will continue to result in more devastation of families and loss of human life prematurely and suddenly… but whatever… I’ve already lost a loved one, and not willing to lose others alive (such as my elderly parents with risk factors) and will never understand how people can blame others for health issues they currently are facing and which cannot be undone at this point, and just not want to help by simply wearing a mask in public settings…. but everyone please have a nice day and enjoy your life - as you never know when it might be come undone and be destroyed suddenly and prematurely… and no need to bother driving safely either… feel free to drive like you’re the only one on the road …

Last edited:
I flirted with Keto for a while .... there can be big benefits like reducing inflammation. I just don't think it is a good long term diet.
There is a Dr who pushes something called the Nutrarian diet .... if I spelled that right. It focuses on eating nutrient rich foods.
I kind invented my own version of that that's not so focused on vegetarian ... but does include a lot more fruits and vegetables.

Darker skinned people have been hit harder by Covid because they tend to have lower vitamin D levels.

Perhaps, but that's not the only factor.

We are told that Covid has hit "communities of color", black and Hispanic populations, harder.
Yet in Santa Clara County, the Covid infection rate among blacks is lower than their percentage of the population, not higher.

Employment, cultural behavior, education have a lot to do with exposure and infection rate.

San Jose of course was incorporated as a Spanish city just one year after the United States was formed as a nation.
Anyone else who is here moved here, for reasons such as employment. So we have a different mix of people.

That is correct, but not complete.
The term "sugar" is a generic name for a class of molecules we call carbohydrates. There are different kinds of sugars found in different kinds of foods, but most people are only exposed to a handful of them in any quantity worth discussing, and only one of those is actually harmful.

Most sugars, lactose, dextrose, maltose, sucrose, etc etc, are broken down through enzymatic activity into glucose. Every cell in your body, and every living cell on the planet, can metabolize glucose for energy, but when fructose is ingested, there is only one organ in your body that can metabolize it, and there is only one thing it can metabolize it into.

Fructose is metabolized by your liver, and through a series of long enzymatic processes, nearly 100% of it gets turned into cholesterol, and mostly the LDL type which is the bad kind.

When consumed with whole unprocessed fruits, the fructose gets little chance to enter your bloodstream because the fiber that comes with the fruit tends to encapsulate the fructose much like sawdust encapsulates wet chewing gum. Your digestive tract can't get to the fructose because its locked up by the fiber, so most of it just passes through your body.

I'm also on Keto.. high fat, high protein diet.. very few carbs and most of that from vegetables. Just diagnosed myself with a potassium deficiency last week. Muscle cramps, pulled muscles, fatigue.. Googled the nutrition in my (admittedly) narrow diet of high fat foods and found that none of them contained any significant potassium.. Five or six eggs a day at only 36mg each doesn't hardly make a dent. Added two barely yellow bananas a day + spinach + supplements, and by the 2nd day, all my symptoms were gone. Heck, most were gone within 24 hours...

Keto is a dangerous diet of not carefully watched.. the selection of foods is very limited, which limits nutrients. I can only eat so many avocados and spinach and those are the only keto foods that have any significant potassium..
This subject has a tremendous amount of nuance so yes, fructose is metabolized differently than other sugars, but lets be clear and make a distinction:

naturally occurring fructose is not a concern. High fructose corn syrup which is a manufactured sweetener and a totally different molecule than naturally occurring fructose is the concern.

The fructose argument is one we are probably not going to agree on. Naturally occurring fructose for a person that is healthy is perfectly fine IMO. High fructose corn syrup, especially consumed in the quantities most consume it is horrible.

As for keto. Keto is not a high protein diet. If you consume more than 1.5g of protein per lbs of lean body mass there is a high probability you are not in ketosis. I personally consume .6-1g/lbs lean body mass. Unless you are measuring your blood and are seeing at a minimum .2-.3 milimol beta hydroxybutyrate you can not claim to be "keto".

Keto is not dangerous if you are educated. Yes potassium can be an issue. The easiest source of potassium is cream of tartar. You are not keto if you are eating bananas.

If you want to talk about dangerous diets lets talk about the SAD (standard american diet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back