diy solar

diy solar

Theory? - How does BMS/ batrium vs high SOC play out

Stewfish

I guess my question is while the battery is at a 80 to 90%ish+ SOC do the cells start to have larger resistance variations as they meet their limits and some cells have more capacity and lesss resistance. Wouldn't the amps draw down like a normal charger and have even more time for the cells to balance the incoming amps vs higher amps with the same amount of time. The wave pattern discussed below leads me to believe its not a cell resistance thing though but rather the distance a cell is from the leads coming in.

Details if you need them:
I just got the system up and running and I've been kind of figuring out the SOC after just starting last night with no clue what to set the baseline at last night. They set a baseline for batrium and then it can learn and refine that number. I'll watch the voltage after its done charging and can settle a little and compare, but even with power charging today I know the voltage is not a higher voltage than if the battery sat overnight and I know voltage as a soc is bad with lifepo4, but it's a baseline.

That leads me to my issues/question/curiosity:
So I got home today and I had my 16s2p lichen/eve batteries and the batrium program running on my laptop connected via Wifi. I came home and I noticed a bit of a wave pattern to the cells. I was pulling in about as much power as I was using because the fridge and AC were still running and the sun was going down (-11watts) The waviness was interesting because it was fairly symmetrical and not very sporadic thus creating a wave affect across the 32 cells on the chart vs random cells up and down. I have seen this on videos, as well as the individuals cells sporadically low or high. So I'm curios bc now they are all flat.

I changed the SOC baseline when I got home:
I changed the soc in the shunt settings to have a better baseline for the K9/core to learn from it said 100.5% at 53.2v. 53.2v ÷ 4 compared to 14.4x4= 57.6 100% and the 12v chart on here says I was at about 10% lower at 90% SOC vs the 100.5% it was saying. I'm thinking 90% is even high because the voltage would come down if it sat for 12 to 24 hrs. I'm not sure if its the soc setting or that I was drawing 500 more watts than what was coming in but I noticed that within an hour of returning home the waviness to the chart has all flattened out and the cells are all within .02 of each other vs .2+ variation. But when I first arrived there was quite a large variation from low to high cell voltage enough for the program to flag red above the low cells. Note the fans are running on the heat sinks.

Early in the am when the sun started to rise cels #1 and 16 were low and the rest where flat and within a hr it all leveled out. That struck me as the 2 cells closest to the positive terminal leads. I had not seen the wave earlier in the day, and it's super interesting and makes me curious. Whats the theory behind this wave effect and the SOC.

Back