diy solar

diy solar

Thermal Camera, Micro-ohmmeter, or Both?

Shimmy

Solar Wizard
Planning out my 40kWh battery system, and wondering if I should expect to just commission with a thermal camera, or if micro-ohmmeter testing of the connections is warranted. For that matter, would you megger test the insulation for 48V battery cables?

I am planning on purchasing pre-made crimped cables as well as a tinned copper bus that will be on insulating apple stand-offs as well as heat-shrinked to avoid exposed live parts. (We have a lot of geckos, and the busses will be separated by ~4".)

Planning out my 40kWh battery system, and wondering if I should expect to just commission with a thermal camera,

IMHO, only good for finding a problem, not quantifying it.

or if micro-ohmmeter testing of the connections is warranted.

micro-ohmmeter? No. mOhm? Yes.

For that matter, would you megger test the insulation for 48V battery cables?

Lordy no.

I am planning on purchasing pre-made crimped cables as well as a tinned copper bus that will be on insulating apple stand-offs as well as heat-shrinked to avoid exposed live parts. (We have a lot of geckos, and the busses will be separated by ~4".)

By heat shrinking them, you may reduce their current carrying capability as the limiting factor becomes the shrink. Adjacent bus bars 4" apart likely don't represent an issue to lizards as the voltage between adjacent bus bars is typically low. A cover for inadvertent contact is certainly warranted.

Lordy no.
Heh... only reason I would consider it is if a nicked insulation provides weak ground coupling on one wire providing elevated risk for a full-on short to ground. Some of the "blue smoke" issues I hear about seem to suggest that equipment isn't quite rated per the specifications.

Heh... only reason I would consider it is if a nicked insulation provides weak ground coupling on one wire providing elevated risk for a full-on short to ground. Some of the "blue smoke" issues I hear about seem to suggest that equipment isn't quite rated per the specifications.
Electrical tape directions claim each lap is good for 600 volts.....

I only took the mO Meter (and a capacity tester)
The issues noticeable by thermal camera are feel-able as well. Be careful thought.

Gekkos - eh? Nice and crispy.
But seriously, heatshrink is neat but electrical insulation tape will do as well.

Back