diy solar

diy solar

Thermochromic color changing stickers to monitor heat

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
Had an idea to monitor battery interconnects and components - use heat sensitive color changing stickers or tape to see if they're hot so I can tell at a glance if something is not right or going bad.

From what I've found there are two types, a permanent color change and a temporary change that resets when it cools down. I'm thinking using both would be useful: The permanent to tell if it's ever gotten hot even if the load has reduced and it's cool right now, and the resetting type to see if something is hot right now.

I've found a product called Chameleon Skinz which is a thermochromic duct tape and several online vendors like thermometersite.com that have stickers. There's also thermochromic paint.

I was thinking on how I could monitor the cell-to-cell intereconnects on my BYD bank and got to thinking about the mood ring I had back in the early 80s and started looking around online. No way to know if a cell in a cell group is going/gone bad other than the heat it'd cause in the interconnect wires and maybe a constant draw on the balancers. I dont think the cells themselves would heat up unless it had a internal dead short.

So far I havent found a small sticker that has multiple color changes in a fingernail sized area but I'm sure it exists somewhere. All I've seen is the thermometer strips which are too long to monitor a contact point.

hears my .02

1-Most semi-permant installations of batts are in locations that are not frequently accessed and or seen. Which is why virtually everyone uses temp probes that communicate with existing monitoring.
2- if this is for testing then your around almost all the time anyway in which case you could use a simple IR temp gun.

hears my .02

1-Most semi-permant installations of batts are in locations that are not frequently accessed and or seen. Which is why virtually everyone uses temp probes that communicate with existing monitoring.
2- if this is for testing then your around almost all the time anyway in which case you could use a simple IR temp gun.

I use a Smartthings sensor that I monitor remotely. It has limits set so it sends me a text if temp gets to high or to low.

hears my .02

Fair enough and good points. But I have 144 125AH cells in 16 cell groups and the expense and difficulty to install a cell level temperature monitoring system is unfeasible. The IR temp gun is a good idea but it won't tell me if something got hot and then cooled down so I think I'm still going to stay with at least the permanent color change sticker, probably with a trigger temp of about 85F as its in a cool basement that stays between 40 and 60 year round unless I turn on the heater so I'm not shivering while I work.

Last edited:
Back