diy solar

diy solar

Thermostatically controlled propane heater for battery box

Well, I'm planning on a medium size 48 volt system. Not sure i could find a cooler that would fit the number of cells I'm envisioning, but the general idea is right. I do have an old freezer I could maybe bury..

Well, I'm planning on a medium size 48 volt system. Not sure i could find a cooler that would fit the number of cells I'm envisioning, but the general idea is right. I do have an old freezer I could maybe bury..

Sounds like a good excuse to fire up the backhoe! My Ford 655D loves a workout every now and again. :cool:

48VDC in LFP = 16 Cells.
Battery & electronics with humidity & moisture potentials is NOT wise.
A small "powershed" is an inexpensive project and can be made very secure & efficient.

Solid Foam Board insulation can be crazy expensive in Retail land BUT commercial roofers have to remove all good insulation during a full refurb and up here anyways that must be sent for recycle. Often they will sell some to Joe Customer as "take off insulation". I got 4'x8'x4" PolyISO for $8 a sheet, 4.5" thick ISO for $7 a sheet. 2'x4'x4" Roofmate R20 for $10 a sheet. These are sizes (thicknesses) not available in retail land, unless it's a $pecial Order.

48VDC in LFP = 16 Cells.
Battery & electronics with humidity & moisture potentials is NOT wise.
A small "powershed" is an inexpensive project and can be made very secure & efficient.

Solid Foam Board insulation can be crazy expensive in Retail land BUT commercial roofers have to remove all good insulation during a full refurb and up here anyways that must be sent for recycle. Often they will sell some to Joe Customer as "take off insulation". I got 4'x8'x4" PolyISO for $8 a sheet, 4.5" thick ISO for $7 a sheet. 2'x4'x4" Roofmate R20 for $10 a sheet. These are sizes (thicknesses) not available in retail land, unless it's a $pecial Order.

Yes, moisture was my primary concern (and access). As much I like the idea of burying it for cost, I think a powershed is more practical. I need to do a little research in the best way to build it. thank-you...
Sounds like a good excuse to fire up the backhoe! My Ford 655D loves a workout every now and again. :cool:

Me
I need a friend like you...

Why not just use a victron controller that wont charge when cold?

Yeah. Theres nothing wrong with that. In fact you could just disconnect the panels through a breaker or battery switch.

Last edited:
Is there a drain on the batteries when you are not there?
If not, as ped suggests, just don’t charge when you are not there. Or have a sensor prevent charging when below freezing.
When you are at your cabin, and its heated, batteries in this heated space are good to go.

I go up there 2-4 times a month, usually for 2-4 days each, so i'd need a really big array to charge it when i'm there (and the good fortune of Mr. Sol) . I rather go there, drain the batteries, then let them recharge over the one or two weeks between visits..

Back