diy solar

diy solar

They stole my whole solar system! Starting over from scratch in the South Campos of San Felipe, Baja

N2Baja

Hello Everyone!

Wow, I am so happy I found this forum! :cool:

I have an off-grid house in the South Campos of San Felipe in Baja California. My late husband purchased a complete solar system (lots of panels, lots of batteries, inverter, controller, backup diesel generator, etc. etc.) but unfortunately everything was stolen before we were able to get it set up.

So, now I'm starting from scratch on my own and I'm realizing that this isn't going to be as easy as I thought. I wish I'd paid more attention the first time around, lol. The internet is loaded with information, and I've been reading up as much as I can. There is so much to consider!

Fortunately, though it's a harsh environment, there is plenty of sunshine here in Baja! I'm on a bluff with a relatively steady breeze, so there is even the option of using wind too, though not a lot of people seem to like wind generators. The heat over the summer is going to be an issue with the batteries from what I've read.

Right now I'm figuring out just how much power I think I'll need. I found a couple sites online that will help with this, thankfully.

I look forward to sharing ideas and getting straight forward advice from people who aren't trying to sell me something.

Melanie

Insurance, that's funny! Unfortunately things are going downhill fast in that area. When I was in San Felipe last year I was robbed of my computer, phone and all my money. Fortunately still had my passport elsewhere and a credit card.

I'm afraid if you replace everything you'll just be adding to the thieve's system. I love Baja, spent my winters there for years boondocking between Bahaia Gonazaga and Bahia Asuncion mainly, but doubt I'll be returning soon. Between the slowdown in the economy, lots of migrants from the mainland and now lots from Central America with no money and no jobs, it's getting shaky fast.

Good luck. If you're in town on the malecon, there's a restaurant on the far north end, the very last business, with outdoor seating that serves a fantastic shrimp omelette platter. I have many wonderful memories of sitting out front eating wonderful breakfasts and enjoying the view.

I don't think heat will be much of a problem in San Felipe because batteries don't really have the humidity perception that makes it feel hotter than it is. They really only care for the ambient temperature. Shaded in SF with good ventilation will keep your batteries within the working temperature range. I have 30 years of experience in that area and owned a home north of SF during that time.

With my property it was always important to have a reliable guard dedicated to the group of homes they watch over. Unfortunately, every time we transferred from one guard to a new guard, the old guard left with everyone's stuff as part of his severance.

I'll just give you my standard (copy-paste) advice... don't start building a house from the roof down :·)

First, you figure out roughly how much power you're going to need. Then double it. ;·) Then, whoa, that's a lot, maybe I shouldn't use electricity for cooking or heating, figure out how to go without A/C, or a way to do it efficiently... get into off-grid mode. It can be quite rewarding, not just money-wise, soul-wise.

Then, work out how much storage (battery) you would need for that. That's the expensive bit. And what sort of inverter to power your AC loads. Tends to be somewhat expensive too.

After that, you can worry about what panels - and charge controller - you need to keep the batteries reasonably charged.
And consider a decent generator (possibly inverter type) for rainy days and all.

Alternatively, I can't be bothered. I have tons of money. I want A/C in every room, induction cookers in the bathroom, I hate propane, I love wasting energy.

In the second case, hire an electrician - fly him over from Germany or something - give him a suitcase full of bills. He can monitor the system from over there ;·) It's not very clear why you're in this forum if that's the case, but hey.

In the first one (you like the gist of what I pasted) I - and I'm sure lots of people here - have some ideas as to how to go about it.

-

Conduct a solar audit( figure out how many kwh of electricity you will use daily) you can find wattage data online for most devices. Example: A 1000w device running for 4 hrs daily is 4000 watt hours or 4kwh . Add up all the devices, get your daily total. Your daily/monthly usage will define all the other parameters of your system.

Hello Everyone!

Wow, I am so happy I found this forum! :cool:

I have an off-grid house in the South Campos of San Felipe in Baja California. My late husband purchased a complete solar system (lots of panels, lots of batteries, inverter, controller, backup diesel generator, etc. etc.) but unfortunately everything was stolen before we were able to get it set up.

So, now I'm starting from scratch on my own and I'm realizing that this isn't going to be as easy as I thought. I wish I'd paid more attention the first time around, lol. The internet is loaded with information, and I've been reading up as much as I can. There is so much to consider!

Fortunately, though it's a harsh environment, there is plenty of sunshine here in Baja! I'm on a bluff with a relatively steady breeze, so there is even the option of using wind too, though not a lot of people seem to like wind generators. The heat over the summer is going to be an issue with the batteries from what I've read.

Right now I'm figuring out just how much power I think I'll need. I found a couple sites online that will help with this, thankfully.

I look forward to sharing ideas and getting straight forward advice from people who aren't trying to sell me something.

Melanie
Welcome to the party Melanie, hope you're not a 1 hit wonder. Where'd ya go?

There is a link in my signature for the energy audit.

Back