diy solar

diy solar

Thin flexible solar panels on silicone coated flat roof

bmh

Hi All,

I have silicone coated flat roof. I want to install solar panels on it diy style.

My research indicates it is super easy to install thin solar panels on flat surface. I would just tape it to the surface which is very white silicone coat. I also found thin solar panels fail because the surface they are taped to gets too hot. I am in Albuquerque, NM. Silicone does not that hot, but it is warm to hand touch when temperature is equal or above 95 degrees. I also have lots of crazy wind, so I think the best option for stability is that thing solar panels are as close as possible to the roof rather than being lifted.

Does anyone have experience in putting thin solar panels on silicone coated roof in direct contact? What would be the highest surface temperature that thin solar can handle without breaking apart?

Thanks.

I too have a silicone roof, but my LG Neon panels are fastened to rails bolted to the roof.

What are thin solar panels? Are these flexible panels? I haven't heard of people taping panels to residential homes where it'll pass a building inspection. I'm not sure what sort of tape you'd need, I do not know that it's pretty hard to bond to silicone.

I too have a silicone roof, but my LG Neon panels are fastened to rails bolted to the roof.

What are thin solar panels? Are these flexible panels? I haven't heard of people taping panels to residential homes where it'll pass a building inspection. I'm not sure what sort of tape you'd need, I do not know that it's pretty hard to bond to silicone.
Thanks for your answer.

Yes, thin solar panels are flexible solar panels. Those that bend little bit. I'm trying to find someone who used flexible solar panels on roof.

Silicone is not flammable, and it does not get hot at all. Also, I found on rv roofs diyers put corrugated board (plastic cardboard) which can help keeping flexible solar panels cooler and avoid moisture buildup. I am not sure why building code would have a problem with flexible solar panels on roof.

I found this tape for silicone and high heat environment.

Back