diy solar

diy solar

Thinking about small solar backup system in South Texas..48 or 24 vdc?

Consider how large your system may grow.
Dig deep into the specs.
Look very closely at Breakers, Shutoff switches, Fuses and other smaller parts.
Many of the products which look "OK" at first glance, are not.

Interesting discussion over here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/battery-disconnect-for-nominal-48v-systems.32915/

This is a good point. Devices, such as switches, that are rated for 24 systems may not be rated to work on a 48 volt system because the charged voltage exceeds 50 volts.

So wired up the inverter and connected to golf cart batteries. Worked great! Decided to hang it on the wall out if the way until needed.

Next will be a solar panel charging system, but that is not a priority at the moment. Thanks for the help here!

Attachments

• IMG_20220103_152737017.jpg
    IMG_20220103_152737017.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220103_162654813.jpg
    IMG_20220103_162654813.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for the write up.

I also build 48 volt mobile power systems - mostly for van use.

One of the items that I would like to add is a low voltage disconnect. (primarily for turning off the inverter )

In my particular case, the inverter has a remote switch capability that only requires a switched contact - really no current is involved - or if it is it's < 20 ma.

I wondered if you have had any success finding a negative ground, 48 volt , LVD that is suitable for outdoor / wider temperature ranges? Not the cheap import ones, a commercial grade item. Thanks

Thanks for the write up.

I also build 48 volt mobile power systems - mostly for van use.

One of the items that I would like to add is a low voltage disconnect. (primarily for turning off the inverter )

In my particular case, the inverter has a remote switch capability that only requires a switched contact - really no current is involved - or if it is it's < 20 ma.

I wondered if you have had any success finding a negative ground, 48 volt , LVD that is suitable for outdoor / wider temperature ranges? Not the cheap import ones, a commercial grade item. Thanks
I never looked for one. Whenever I will need the inverter hooked up (hopefully never) I will just use the inverter on/off switch.

Back