diy solar

diy solar

Thinking of Designing a Solar Management System

fopoku2k2

I have successfully gone off grid. Fortunately i seem to have oversized my system. Batteries are fully charged by 11am. Sun last till 5pm on most days

I am thinking of designing an automatic system that would power on my air-conditioning when the batteries are fully charged. Anyone with knowledge of such a system or advice?

Congratulations!

I don't know of anything COTS, but you could use something to monitor your SoC and then flip a relay to turn the AC thermostat from off to on (see the IoT). Here's another thread talking about similar things.

depending on your inverter, you could use home assistant , mqqt and sonoff switches and a heavy duty relay/contacter to switch your waterheater on.

i've been experimenting with a 200l pre heater.
in summer , it provided all the hot water we needed, in winter it kept my heating bill from the water heater considerably lower.

i would assume ac would work the same

depending on your inverter, you could use home assistant , mqqt and sonoff switches and a heavy duty relay/contacter to switch your waterheater on.

i've been experimenting with a 200l pre heater.
in summer , it provided all the hot water we needed, in winter it kept my heating bill from the water heater considerably lower.

i would assume ac would work the same
I am using a Growatt inverter. Can you guide me through how you did you installation

I am using a Growatt inverter. Can you guide me through how you did you installation
not familiar with growatts.
you need to get your incomming solar in to a raspberry pi and into home assistant.

i use a second raspberry pi, connect with a serial cable to my inverter.
that second raspberry sends detail about incomming solar and my battery's SOC to my home assistant raspberry using MQTT.

i then put logic on both ( SOC > 90 and incomming solar > 2000 watts ) -> enable sonoff that controls power to water heater 1
if temp water heater => 65 celcius , shut down water heater
if temp pre heat tank < 65 enable heating element

this is using hass.io , node-red and mqtt

idea was based of what daniel has done on his YT channel DIY Tech and Repairs

Wow!! Thanks for this. But unfortunately Daniel doesn't show the basics.

Any idea where I can start from the basics like how to set up MQQT server etc?

not familiar with growatts.
you need to get your incomming solar in to a raspberry pi and into home assistant.

i use a second raspberry pi, connect with a serial cable to my inverter.
that second raspberry sends detail about incomming solar and my battery's SOC to my home assistant raspberry using MQTT.

i then put logic on both ( SOC > 90 and incomming solar > 2000 watts ) -> enable sonoff that controls power to water heater 1
if temp water heater => 65 celcius , shut down water heater
if temp pre heat tank < 65 enable heating element

this is using hass.io , node-red and mqtt
what does your second raspberry pi connected with a serial cable to your inverter run on?

I have successfully gone off grid. Fortunately i seem to have oversized my system. Batteries are fully charged by 11am. Sun last till 5pm on most days

I am thinking of designing an automatic system that would power on my air-conditioning when the batteries are fully charged. Anyone with knowledge of such a system or advice?
Thick our my tread, it will help out

Check my trend, this will help you monitor ur inverter and ur battery , manage output, and inputsz, check daily, monthly, years consumption, support parallel inverter monitoring, parallel battery like pylontech lithum etc , it's an in one software Solar plant monitoring

Back