diy solar

diy solar

This guy claims lead acid is superior to Lithium Iron Phosphate in solar applications

I also ran across this guy's videos on trying to recover damaged lead acid batteries. Its kind of instructive on what can be done with a bad lead acid battery but also shows how much time and energy it can take.
It is generally admitted, that sulfatation is mainly an irreversible process.
This "desulfatation" can only be a process to detach the sulfated layer from the plates and with it, the involved lead content from the plates.
You may temporarily regain some apparent battery life for certain time, but the most part of the active lead is just bricked, and is, at the bottom of the battery, just waiting to provoke the next shortcut a few days later.

Last edited:
I've tried to make clear here that I'm not advocating that there is one type of battery that everyone should use. I'm just trying to gain an understanding of the options.

In a way, selecting a battery system is like marriage:
  • Plenty of people are going to have an opinion on what you should go with,
  • but they're not going to have to live with the outcome, you are
  • so its important that you go in with a clear understanding and your eyes open
  • because you are accepting a set of limitations in exchange for the benefits you hope it will confer on your life
  • and once you've plunked down your cash and made the commitment, its your job to put the effort and care in to make things work
  • but even so, if you made a choice poorly matched to your needs, its not going to go well, and that's going to sting

Getting philosophical. Obviously, its time for me to get some sleep.

Look - pretend your out n the middle of Texas -- the only entertainment you have is NETFLIX and YouTube -- there are NO FM stations and the only AM station you can pick up is a Mexican religious station ... we do have XM radio so I guess thats not too bad ... but unless there is a fire - our someone gets drunk and steals a fuel truck -- the boredom level is pretty damn high .... so when a FNG engineer shows up and says "hey I can do this or that" we normally get a 12 pack of beer and our lawnchairs - and a huge ABC Fire extinguisher - and tell him "Let the entertainment begin" ...

So YES technically if I am wearing my EE hat YES he could have had 13.8 volts and literally 0.01A ... but these weren't my batteries ... and I had never seen anyone do that trick of bringing batteries back to life like that -- and in the morning after shift i will drop a load on one of them and see what kind of aH I get ... but more importantly --did I mention the complete boredom ...
You could use your spare time rebuilding them like these guys do :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just watched his 3 part series stating that "peukerts law is wrong":

He did not "disprove" anything in these videos. Just stated the basic workings of a lead acid cell.

He stated that coulombic efficiency of the chemical reaction in a lead acid cell is always high (except for at high SoC), but internal resistance causes heat generation at high c rates (which is peukerts effect), and that the "usable capacity" suffers. He states that the battery is efficient, but internal resistance causes loss in capacity.

So he thinks that the usable capacity at the terminals and coulombic efficiency of the reaction in the cell should be differentiated. I am not sure why anyone would do this. He says that temperature and charge rate etc do not change the coulombic efficiency, but that the internal resistance causes peukert effect and causes usable capacity to drop. Isn't that basic knowledge? Not sure what he is disproving here.

He also says that capacity is not affected by temperature, but goes on to state that in the cold, you will get less capacity due to increased interal resistance. Obviously. Again, what is he disproving about peukerts effect?

The final video states how peukerts effect occurs, the factors that influence it, and that's about it. He did not disprove peukerts effect. Am I missing something?

He does seem to know a lot. But he is hyperfocused with lead acid for some reason, and trying to "disprove" things that are established. Not sure what his intent is.

Last edited:
9:00 of part 3 video: "Peukerts equation does not state anything about the discharge rate versus the capacity"

Definition of peukerts effect: Peukert's law, presented by the German scientist Wilhelm Peukert in 1897, expresses approximately the change in capacity of rechargeable lead–acid batteries at different rates of discharge. As the rate of discharge increases, the battery's available capacity decreases, approximately according to Peukert's law.

It is in the equation:
FireShot Capture 893 - BatteryStuff Tools - Peukert’s Law - A Nerd’s Attempt to Explain Batt_ ...png

Am I missing something here?

"Peukerts equation does not state anything about the discharge rate versus the capacity"
Maybe he is trying to refer to this, from wikipedia
It is a common misunderstanding [3] that the energy not delivered by the battery due to Peukert's Law is "lost" (as heat for example). In actual fact, once the load is removed, the battery voltage will recover [4], and more energy can again be drawn out of the battery. This is because the law applies specifically to batteries discharged at constant current down to the cutoff voltage. The battery will no longer be able to deliver that current without falling below the cutoff voltage, so it is considered discharged at that point, despite significant energy still remaining in the battery.
So, I think this is what differentiates Peukert's Law from internal resistance. Internal resistance dissipates some of the battery energy as heat inside the battery and the result is that some of the battery's chemical energy is unavailable for use. Peukert's Law is a chemical reaction rate problem. If your discharge rate exceeds the chemical reaction rate, the voltage will drop. If you hold that rate, the cut-off voltage will be reached prematurely, so the remaining capacity is not available at that rate. However, it is not lost. Once the chemical reaction catches up, the voltage will recover and the remaining capacity can be discharged at a lower rate.

My best guess, definitely not an expert.

Look - pretend your out n the middle of Texas -- the only entertainment you have is NETFLIX and YouTube -- there are NO FM stations and the only AM station you can pick up is a Mexican religious station ... we do have XM radio so I guess thats not too bad ... but unless there is a fire - our someone gets drunk and steals a fuel truck -- the boredom level is pretty damn high .... so when a FNG engineer shows up and says "hey I can do this or that" we normally get a 12 pack of beer and our lawnchairs - and a huge ABC Fire extinguisher - and tell him "Let the entertainment begin" ...

So YES technically if I am wearing my EE hat YES he could have had 13.8 volts and literally 0.01A ... but these weren't my batteries ... and I had never seen anyone do that trick of bringing batteries back to life like that -- and in the morning after shift i will drop a load on one of them and see what kind of aH I get ... but more importantly --did I mention the complete boredom ...
Okay. Having driven from Arizona to Dallas via Odessa, you get a pass if it's anything like that. ?

So you're either in Eureka area, or Crescent City? I bet the winters are quite sun-less....
Just south of the latter. Nope, not much sun in our NE-SW box canyon in the winter, period - our sunrise is almost 10 AM this time of year (due to the mountains) to boot. Hence my cordial relationship with the generators. :)

Back