diy solar

diy solar

This is not a complaint! It’s a suggestion

The additional advantage of this section is that its content will not hurt any more the feelings of some grumpy souls "pissed off by 2x100W" users...
Sometimes a bit of clear separation helps to keep the forum ambiance peaceful.
:p

The additional advantage of this section is that its content will not hurt any more the feelings of some grumpy souls "pissed off by 2x100W" users...
Sometimes a bit of clear separation helps to keep the forum ambiance peaceful.
:p
I was a bit surprised by that since there are many members with systems in the KW's range. Whether one is running a 1 watt system, or 100kw system, I find them all interesting. ?

More likley not upset the narcissists that really only come and post ad nausea to elevate their own self important status and have completely selfish motivations for posting their indignant views. You are correct, not upsetting these people will be an advantage in not having to put up with whining and indignation of their holier than thou positions being threatened in their minds.

I don't think a lot of that is going around on this site though, is it?

More likley not upset the narcissists that really only come and post ad nausea to elevate their own self important status and have completely selfish motivations for posting their indignant views. You are correct, not upsetting these people will be an advantage in not having to put up with whining and indignation of their holier than thou positions being threatened in their minds.

It will be especially interesting to see what people can come up with in the use of off the shelf pre made boards that are available off the net.
While many lambast these devices, I have found them to be surprisingly robust and incredibly well functioned. By simply wiring some of these up together, A great deal of control can be obtained. Much easier and within the capabilities of many than designing electronic circuits. May not be the most elegant way but when it's the difference between not being able to do something and having an effective system, it's a great approach.
They also offer far more cost effective approaches to the same jobs that brand name controllers use and with the benifit that if a mistake is made, a small $5 componet can be switched out instead of the whole multi hundred dollar unit being junked.

By assembling and using these pre made boards the user also learns more and has greater repair and programing ability.
Should be very informative to see what people come up with!
Sometimes one just needs something to "make do" with until you can get something better. I have been put down myself for asking "silly questions" in some forums because I either wasn't up on all the latest stuff, or just new, or simply did not have the money for the best there is.
So yes, I have high hopes for this new section myself. :)
To be able to jury rig things and come up with DIY ideas for things is great to me. I have been tinkering with my 5 brothers and others for most of my life. So well over 50 years. And I love doing it. :)

I guess the term " a lot" is Subjective but I would say no, not a lot but it is clearly here and displayed by some in particular.
"A lot". A small bowl of ice cream is not "a lot".
One hit with a baseball bat is "a lot".
So a "a lot" is subjective in this case I think.
Yes I agree with you. :)

It will be especially interesting to see what people can come up with in the use of off the shelf pre made boards that are available off the net.
While many lambast these devices, I have found them to be surprisingly robust and incredibly well functioned. By simply wiring some of these up together, A great deal of control can be obtained. Much easier and within the capabilities of many than designing electronic circuits. May not be the most elegant way but when it's the difference between not being able to do something and having an effective system, it's a great approach.
They also offer far more cost effective approaches to the same jobs that brand name controllers use and with the benifit that if a mistake is made, a small $5 componet can be switched out instead of the whole multi hundred dollar unit being junked.

Same way I've done some of my professional work.

When circuit/PCB design, tape-out, fab, BOM, assembly cost my employer about $25k (not including my hours) and takes weeks to months, my prototypes were sometimes a few $5 to $200 demo boards wired together. Voltage references, op-amps, DDS (signal generators) in-hand a couple of days after placing a DigiKey order.

That's a fairly damning statement. I have noticed some yelling and and arguing and so on, but I don't get the part about completely selfish motivations?

By assembling and using these pre made boards the user also learns more and has greater repair and programing ability.
Should be very informative to see what people come up with!
I agree and that rang a bell with me. Remember the thread regarding the ebay 5 Amp MPPT....lol? Anyways I find premade boards such as that one interesting and there are tons of them in all different varieties.

I love the clear categorisation in this forum and find that almost everything is covered, but there’s one thing which I consistently find difficult to place into any of the sub-forums, and that’s maybe best described as “general electronics” or maybe “DIY electronics”.
A general DIY electronics subforum would be great. In either the general section or the off topic section.

edit: looks like im late to the party :)

Last edited:
embedded software, firmware, uP, FPGA, Arduino, Raspberry Pi

Protocols and command sets e.g. CANbus used by Sunny Island, others for Midnight, various BMS.

Development platform Code running on a host (might use a PC initially developing something, later target embedded.
e.g. I use Matlab, some people LabView or Python or C under window/unix/Mac.

gizmos to translate communication between various inverters, charge controllers, BMS, monitors may be popular.
Now your talking my language. I speak C#, embedded C/C++ (preferable running on ARM Cortex M processors), FreeRTOS, I2C, SPI, Ethernet, USB.

If I absolutely have to, I talk CANBus too. But don't tell my boss, I don't want him to get any ideas.

In case anyone is still reading, I'd prefer to have fewer subforums.

I'd rather see a consolidation of several subforums that only have a few posts a month because it makes browsing all the subforums easier. I rarely read the "marine" subforum, but there could be info that's relevant to off-grid people. It also seems like "solar water pumps", "solar heating", "off grid advice" and "tiny cabin homes" could all be in one subforum. A lot of the battery stuff seems like it could be split into lithium and non-lithium.

Back