diy solar

diy solar

This is not an affliate link. Looking for info Apex BMS

frickinfrack

Does anyone have any experience with the APEX BMS's sold on ebay? Link to BMS on eBay

I'm waiting for a back ordered Daly and can't wait. Using with a 4S3P set of the 25 ah cells batteryhookup is selling. Load will be a 360ish watt trolling motor.

I'm personally not a big fan of the Daly .... but the one you linked to doesn't even seem to have a temperature sensor ..... so, there will be no low or high temp protections.

I'm personally not a big fan of the Daly .... but the one you linked to doesn't even seem to have a temperature sensor ..... so, there will be no low or high temp protections.
Not an issue for me. I live in Florida and the batteries are stored inside. Dad experience with Daly?

Not an issue for me. I live in Florida and the batteries are stored inside. Dad experience with Daly

No bad experience .... haven't used one. I have seen posts about the temperature protections no being reliable ... and the smart ones seem hard to get working correctly. Plus, I personally want a BMS that is more flexible in how to use it and want to see info from the BMS.

Oh ... an afterthought .... even in a temperature controlled environment it is possible to have an overtemperature problem due to a connection that gets loose or corrosion over time.

Does anyone have any experience with the APEX BMS's sold on ebay? Link to BMS on eBay

I'm waiting for a back ordered Daly and can't wait. Using with a 4S3P set of the 25 ah cells batteryhookup is selling. Load will be a 360ish watt trolling motor.

Dirt cheap BMS, that's for sure. Charge rating of only 60 amps, but with 25Ah batteries you're not going to be charging at that rate.

I didn't see a way to program the BMS. No bluetooth, WiFi or serial port connectivity or an app/application. The low voltage discharge limit seems a bit low at 10v.

It's a separate port BMS. Just something to be aware of.

Dirt cheap BMS, that's for sure. Charge rating of only 60 amps, but with 25Ah batteries you're not going to be charging at that rate.

I didn't see a way to program the BMS. No bluetooth, WiFi or serial port connectivity or an app/application. The low voltage discharge limit seems a bit low at 10v.

Thanks for the reply. It's ultimate use is to balance the 4s3p pack for the wife's kayak to replace 2 of her 35ah agm's. Over and under volt and over current is kinda all I need. It will never charge at more than 5 amps and never discharge at more than 30 so simple will work. I was hoping there was someone on here that has/ had one in use. Kinda doesn't matter at this point. It's already here.

@Globo, your response at least had the value of jogging my memory.

I see that they have no negative reviews, so I just bought one.

I will post back after I've tried it.

[USER = 17294] @Globo [/ USER], la tua risposta almeno ha avuto il valore di farmi correre la memoria.

Vedo che non hanno recensioni negative, quindi ne ho appena comprato uno.

Ripubblicherò dopo averlo provato.
(y) should be tested with 100A as promised by the description

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this question (I will go back to the beginners corner if so), but what is a separate port BMS? Thanks!

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this question (I will go back to the beginners corner if so), but what is a separate port BMS? Thanks!

Everything you wanted to know about common/separate port:

I went ahead and purchased one as well. I have wanted to do a small project for camping / kayaking for a while. I figure this could work for me. Plus, I'm in Ohio so they got me with the Ohio flag on their product (terrible reason to buy something, but here I am).

I have 16x 26650 3200 mAh LiFePo4 cells coming. I plan to make a 4S4P 12.8 Ah battery pack to put in a waterproof container and throw some cigarette outlets in there for running a fan, charging cell phone, etc.

I will probably get a small roll out solar panel to go with it. Something like 20-30W. I haven't researched that yet. I've never seriously looked at them actually. Do they make them with charge controllers integrated? Or would I have to buy a small one? Talking to myself lol.

Also, I think it would be nice to have a shunt instead of just a volt readout. I was looking at this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...21f5cb7654d21816818472346031f&ck=in_edm_other

Any thoughts on that model? Any others I should be considering for this size / scope / price range?

The cells have a max recommended 30 sec pulse discharge at 13A each, so it will be 52A for the 4P pack. However, on the spec sheet, it says they have a 28A pulse discharge under the maximum operating conditions for 112A in 4P.

If I rig it up with "separate port" wiring (thanks @HRTKD) I can have 100A discharge, 60A charge circuits. I figure I'll probably rig it up with the "common port" configuration for simplicity. I'm going to try to fit it in a small box, I don't expect to use it at high demand, and I don't think I really want to push the maximum operating conditions of the cells anyways. This will keep the cells limited to 15A each which stresses them enough I would think from my (incredibly) limited experience. This is all assuming the BMS works as advertised.

I will update as I think on the project and start tinkering with it. Should that go in a different thread? Then I can bounce back here with BMS results / thoughts?

How did the bms work out for you?
I am still collecting some bits and bobs so I haven't started it yet. However, I am not anticipating pushing the quoted limits of the BMS so I don't know if my feedback will be very helpful. I'm hoping to get tinkering within the next month or so.

I just put one on a 78a portable pack. I bought the cells from BH. The BM is so small that it's hard to work with. It's up and running. Have not tested over or under voltage disconnect. All the components cost around $200

I just put one on a 78a portable pack. I bought the cells from BH. The BM is so small that it's hard to work with. It's up and running. Have not tested over or under voltage disconnect. All the components cost around $200
I am probably going to throw a 40A fuse in line and keep my use really well below that. I was looking at it today, and fitting a large gauge wire to it to carry 100A would be a problem. The thing is tiny. @Bubba1 I'd love to see some pics of your project!

Back