20200116_111415.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200116_111410.jpg
    20200116_111410.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200116_111439.jpg
    20200116_111439.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 84
The "quality installation" sticker seems to be the most glaring error. Looks like they used the harbor freight insulation stripper. Is that masking tape??

Code compliant version: It could be an issue for the linesperson that is working on the line and because YOU have backfed it improperly and did not turn off the main breaker to the house you're going to kill her.

Last edited:
Looks like they need a cord with a male plug on both ends to hook up the genny. Could be an "issue" if someone touches the live male prongs on the plugs...

NO - could be an issue for the LINESMAN that is working on the line and because you have backfed it improperly and did not turn off the main breaker to the house you're going to kill him ...

Those two breakers are the main box off the meter...
The 30 feeds both the generator outlet and the home ac...
The 100 feeds the indoor home panel.
So there is NO WAY TO ISOLATE THE HOUSE FROM THE GRID.
I asked them if their 10,000 watt generator bogged down a lot? They said yes, and the last generator threw a rod out the side...

I explained it was due to them powering their neighbors...
And potentially killing any linesmen trying to repair a power outage...

I'm scheduled to repair it, and I have taken their suicide cord away... they have a cord with 14-20 outlets on it, I said they can use it if power goes out before I rewire it...

NO - could be an issue for the LINESMAN that is working on the line and because you have backfed it improperly and did not turn off the main breaker to the house you're going to kill him ...

Of course. I thought that was obvious...

I spoke with the “electrician” that wired all this... several excuses, I shot them all down... his final rebuttal was... I’m shorter than him.

he’s my younger brother.

it is on his in-laws house... he set all this up during a week long power outage from an ice storm. And he pulled the meter until the power was restored...

I asked him if he, or his FIL ALWAYS pulls the meter, and he said they haven’t used it since the outage, the outlet remains so he can run a fat fryer...

I explained that may be what he was told... but the old generator failed, and he replaced it with a 10K model...

At that he said I’m short...

Actually, he said “yeah, well I’m taller than you”

Mmkay...

I am not leaving it this way and expecting 80year old family to remember to pull the meter.

I shake my head when I see this sort of stuff. You simply can not rely on people manually disconnecting things, even if they know it should be done. There always has to be an unavoidable switch. If you want generator power, the mains is forced to be disconnected. I don't know the regs over there but that socket should be set up so that it can only supply power from the generator too. Once the unavoidable switch is flipped back to mains the socket is disconnected.

This is the style connector that would be used in Australia for a non-permanent domestic generator. The action of the interlock switch ensures that the pins are never both exposed and energised.

Last edited:
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention the light in the picture...
That cord was directly plugged into a covered outlet...
I installed a GFCI outdoor outlet with an in use cover... now he needs a new light... or cord.

Nice Svetz. I get alot of line side connection gigs while integrating pv electric for small companies. They will mount the array and i come over and mount amd wire the inverters and connect to building electric. When generators are involved i line side the the pv system to avoid buying and installing and integrating relays.

This is becoming a black box and connector affair as more inverter manufacturers include solutions.

The stuff people do to get power....... ive done it and jumpered L1 and L2, put tape across double pole breaker handles to tag off, but never left it that way after the meter was put back in or lockout removed.

Back