diy solar

diy solar

This is what you consider beginning material?

LancastedAway

I just joined hoping to find some really basic discussions on things like " how electricity works" and "why does it say 12 volts but it actually goes to 48?" and "Why 12, 24 and 48 volt systems? Why not take it to 110 volts?" and "what's the difference between 110 volts and 120 and 220 and 240 and so on and so on?".

But right off the top, y'all are talking about things that are way over my head. Okay, I am impressed by your expertise. You can use lots of acronyms and breeze through terms that beginners haven't ever heard of, much less grasped even loosely the subject.

Is there any place here that is truly for beginners?

Thanks,
LancastedAway

If you're looking for info on basic electricity there are many other places you can get that.
Once you have that you can use it to get into solar.
There are many kind and knowledgeable people on here who will help you get started.

12, 24, 48 are nominal voltages for basic planning and compatibility. Actual voltage will vary 10 to 20 % each way depending on the situation. I believe it started with commonly used 6v and 12v lead-acid batteries that were mass produced so industry made components compatible at those levels. Anything much above that is not standard common equipment. Certainly can be taken higher as electric vehicles go 400 to 800 volts.

110/220 vs 120/240 is just old speak that rolls off the tongue easier. Alternating current is 120/240 volts residential standard in North America.

This is beginners corner so just keep reading. Takes time.

I just joined hoping to find some really basic discussions on things like " how electricity works" and "why does it say 12 volts but it actually goes to 48?" and "Why 12, 24 and 48 volt systems? Why not take it to 110 volts?" and "what's the difference between 110 volts and 120 and 220 and 240 and so on and so on?".

But right off the top, y'all are talking about things that are way over my head. Okay, I am impressed by your expertise. You can use lots of acronyms and breeze through terms that beginners haven't ever heard of, much less grasped even loosely the subject.

Thanks,
LancastedAway
We would all like to help you. I agree with the others that there are many places online that will help you learn these concepts. However, keep in mind the subject matter fills books on books, a lot of which you can use to get a degree. So don't be disheartened when you start seeing things that make no sense to you.

If you have some specific questions, we will surely be able to answer it, even if it's to direct you to another resource. The first thing I would recommend is searching youtube for "basics of electricity". That should get your started. You should pay particular attention to these key words: "voltage", "current", and "resistance", which are measured, respectively, by volts, amperes (commonly abbreviated as amps), and ohms.

Nate at www.explorist.life has a whole bunch of very basic videos covering very basic topics like these, including how to strip a wire, how to crimp a connector, etc. I'm pretty handy but I still found them extremely helpful.

ElectricianU on YouTube is a great resource for beginners. He's a licensed electrician, and has a video series geared toward homeowners, hobbyists, and people starting out in the trade.

Thanks,
LancastedAway
Although this has been answered, might I suggest you buy Will Prowse book "Mobile solar power made easy" available on Amazon. You did not specify what type of solar you are looking to get into, but the book is a great place to start. As for how it works, there is a magic smoke contained in all electrical devices and when released the device will no longer work...For me, if things are "over my head" I know I am in the right place. I keep reading, asking questions, watching videos, and the next thing I know I've learned something

Thanks,
LancastedAway
Hopefully you looked at Resources for Beginners at the start of the section, watch will prowse YouTube beginning videos on volts, batteries etc. There is a thread somewhere on Impress your friends using correct solar terms.

I don't know where to begin you because I read lots, retain a lot and took interest in electrical and electronics and mechanical stuff as a kid.

But ask away.?

12/24/36/48v stuff is easiest to find/work with for DIY hobbyists.

AC output voltage depends on what voltage you require for your appliances. 220-240v/50hz for me being in Australia.

Back