This smoke is killing our solar yield

SacRV

Solar Enthusiast
We're in Northern California and these forest fires have been killing our solar production for weeks. Is anyone else noticing this too?

rmaddy

Full-time Solar-powered Trailer Life

grizzzman

Some say "Why" and some say "Why not?"
I have never seen the smoke so bad in the Salt Lake Valley before today.....

DerpsyDoodler

Photon Sorcerer
Yeah those pesky photovoltaics are lazy and only want to work at full capacity on good clear sunny days. 😶‍🌫️
Until they start griping about the heat and want to back off to 90%. i think its a conspiracy to make us think they want to work.

HarryN

Solar Enthusiast
Last year I was getting about 10% of rated output during fire season.

Tecnodave

Solar Addict
Im way over here on the left coast south of Santa Cruz and it started blowing down here, usually i have wind from the west which has kept it clear here until this AM, now very visible

wattmatters

Photon Sorcerer
During the Australian fire disaster of 2019/20, our production took a hammering for long periods with smoke haze. We were on evacuation notice for weeks but fortunately the fires were stopped about 15-20km from where we are. Many other were not so lucky.

The upside was the extended periods of reduced sun resulted in lower than normal temperatures and less need for aircon, so our energy consumption was down by more than the reduction in solar PV output.