diy solar

diy solar

Thought I had enough power

Great idea on reading logs, if I could get Watchdog running. I have seen YouTube of people using Watchdog, and there seems to be a lot of info there. Have it installed on my laptop. On the phone, it is a joke. Nothing.

Appreciate your knowledge of this system. Thanks for your time.

I am getting around 110vdc from each of the four strings.
But how many watts are you getting from each string? Do they agree with each other? How many KWH per day are you getting from the array?

My batteries, according to the victron shunt are 100% charged by 10AM EST.
Easiest expansion is to add another battery.

Losing 3% over night then being full by 10 AM doesn't sound you need an additional battery. Or are those pre maiden voyage conditions?

Do those batteries have built in battery level meters? Do they all agree with each other and the Victron Smart Shunt?

I sure wouldn't blame the system design or even think about new air conditioners until it's been determined that everything is set up and programmed, etc. correctly.

Have you compared the actual energy numbers (KWH) your system is producing to what it was designed to produce?

But how many watts are you getting from each string? Do they agree with each other? How many KWH per day are you getting from the array?

Losing 3% over night then being full by 10 AM doesn't sound you need an additional battery. Or are those pre maiden voyage conditions?

Do those batteries have built in battery level meters? Do they all agree with each other and the Victron Smart Shunt?

I sure wouldn't blame the system design or even think about new air conditioners until it's been determined that everything is set up and programmed, etc. correctly.

Have you compared the actual energy numbers (KWH) your system is producing to what it was designed to produce?
Inverter 1 is pulling around 1.01 to 1.5 Kw, Inverter 2 is the same. Numbers bounce around, and are not steady. Just like voltage. Always above 90v, and sometimes close to 100v.
I agree about letting supplier to respond to my issues, they said today or tomorrow they should respond.
Setup has always been a question that I have not felt comfortable about being fully explained.
I thought Victron smart shunt would answer all my questions, but not sure anymore.
Still a learning curve with this system.
After all, how bad can solar setup really be? (Lets go Brandon)... Har Har...

Not really familiar with RV A/Cs, are these DC? Are inverter-type models (like the ones sold as household appliances) more economical?
RV rooftop units are not inverter type, the compressor runs full bore when the thermostat calls for it.

I purchased an inverter mini split for my truck camper, I fabricated up the outside mount I wanted this spring but probably won't finish the install until late this year. This will be the last major improvement for the camper. Regarding power usage, the current roof air draws 1200w with compressor running, if the inverter mini split uses even half that amount I should be able run the air conditioning completely off the battery bank for over 10 hours.

As far as bulk, just going by what the battery manufacture has written on the label. Will look at your idea of half a volt though. I am at .8 lower now.
Not sure about their advice either. But I feel they need to have a chance to explain their system.
Didn't think that 44vdc was fully discharged. That is default in the MPP instructions. But they also say I can go as low as 42vdc also.
Yes, you can go to 42V which is just above 2.5V per cell on a 16S battery. For an RV with occasional use, you should probably use close to full capacity of the bank as calendar aging will affect capacity long term more than full cycling. If you live in it full time, I'd be more conservative.

I have 6kw of inverter, 5500w of PV and something like 20kwh of battery. That setup runs a critical loads panel. Currently its in the mid 90's and the AC runs for about 18hrs. (the furnace/blower is run off the solar for winter heat, but not the outside AC condenser)
So a hot day looks like the first image, with an avg use that hovers north of 1300w continuous (due to the blower motor) on a cool day in the spring it looks like the second. not only do the panels peak higher watts because they are cooler, I also only avg about 600w usage (or half as much)
in the spring I can go several days off grid if sun is good. Currently I can make it till about 3 or 4am then transition to the grid (out of batt) I know I'm not hitting 100% SOC on my batt because i dont have enough PV to charge it.

TLDR, at 5500w PV I'm short on my PV to charge my battery fully in the summer and the amount I make won't sustain nearly as much load as you have. So yeh your short a LOT of PV IMHO.

Note: attached data is only 1 of the 2 inverters (they are parallel and share the load) so take everything you see and 2x it.

Attachments

• solar_6-15-22.PNG
    solar_6-15-22.PNG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2
  • solar_cool_Spring.PNG
    solar_cool_Spring.PNG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2
I have 6kw of inverter, 5500w of PV and something like 20kwh of battery. That setup runs a critical loads panel. Currently its in the mid 90's and the AC runs for about 18hrs. (the furnace/blower is run off the solar for winter heat, but not the outside AC condenser)
So a hot day looks like the first image, with an avg use that hovers north of 1300w continuous (due to the blower motor) on a cool day in the spring it looks like the second. not only do the panels peak higher watts because they are cooler, I also only avg about 600w usage (or half as much)
in the spring I can go several days off grid if sun is good. Currently I can make it till about 3 or 4am then transition to the grid (out of batt) I know I'm not hitting 100% SOC on my batt because i dont have enough PV to charge it.

TLDR, at 5500w PV I'm short on my PV to charge my battery fully in the summer and the amount I make won't sustain nearly as much load as you have. So yeh your short a LOT of PV IMHO.

Note: attached data is only 1 of the 2 inverters (they are parallel and share the load) so take everything you see and 2x it.
Good info.
Thanks.
I have 4 330W panels on the way.
Hope that helps towards charging the batteries better.
Think that mine runs out at the 4am mark too.

RV rooftop units are not inverter type, the compressor runs full bore when the thermostat calls for it.

I purchased an inverter mini split for my truck camper, I fabricated up the outside mount I wanted this spring but probably won't finish the install until late this year. This will be the last major improvement for the camper. Regarding power usage, the current roof air draws 1200w with compressor running, if the inverter mini split uses even half that amount I should be able run the air conditioning completely off the battery bank for over 10 hours.
?, You mentioned an inverter mini split. What brand is that? Or, are you running the mini split off of an inverter?

?, You mentioned an inverter mini split. What brand is that? Or, are you running the mini split off of an inverter?

My Kolin 1.5hp window-type inverter above is one of this company's earliest models (I purchased in 2016) and it has a rating of 1280 watts, but it never tops 600 watts even at low cool (20 deg C) / high fan.

My parents bought a newer LG 1.5hp "double inverter" portable aircon (2020) and although the "double inverter" tag is probably a marketing gimmick, I think it is even more efficient being a newer model.

Also a few months ago we retired our Sanyo fridge of 31 years (!), and we replaced it with a Panasonic inverter model (Panasonic bought the Sanyo brand) and it only draws 50-80 watts.

Back