diy solar

diy solar

thoughts on swapping inputs into DMT 1250

minitwin42

Hi guys,

First poster here!
I have a self build camper van with a DMT 1250 split charger connected to the vehicle battery and a 300W solar panel as inputs. These run to and charge a 260Ah 5000A AGM leisure battery in the back. The Battery runs to my 12V fuse box and powers all the usual stuff. All well and good.
I also have a Noco Genius 10 AGM charger.

I would like to be able to plug in the van to mains power (240v) on a campsite or at home and ideally I'd like to charge the leisue battery and still run the 12V in the back of the van at the same time. I won't have a massive draw on the battery - just the fridge and some lights.

I would like to know a couple of things:
Could I replace the solar panel input wiring into the DMT 1250 with one of these:
24V version:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NNPUA7EKFNWH
12V version:
and then have a selector switch where I choose solar input or mains input to the DMT 1250 solar wiring?
Would the above ac/dc converter be enough to still charge the leaisure battery but just using the ac/dc converter instead of the solar panels to do so?
There is a 12v output and a 24v output version of this ac/dc converter. According to the DMT tech specs it takes between a 10vdc and 35vdc input from solar panels. Would either be ok for this or am I being thick and I need to stick to the 12V version?!

Or, could I just leave the genius 10 charger connected to the battery and plug it in to the mains directly when I have hook up available? Would this have the same effect?
I've read various threads of this damaging the battery/charger so I'm not clear on whether this would work or not.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave

Just to reply to my own thread here - I had a call with Mick from Simply Split Charge, who very kindly called the enginners at Kisae. Apparently, this is not officially advised. He wasn't too sure why but the fact that it's not a solar source would apparently confuse this particlular device.

Back