diy solar

diy solar

Throwing an idea up in the air....critique welcomed?

Solarfun4jim

Solar seduced :-)
If building a large battery pack for a RV, if leaving adequate space between the cells, for heat dissapation, but still wishing rigidity for Aluminium walled cells, how about filling the voids between the cells with kiln dried sand? This would pack down over time with all the movement, so could be topped up if necessary, but the air voids in the sand would allow a fair bit of heat dissipation, but still insulating each cell from each other. It would become one rigid mass, contained within the compartment. If the underside of the bank was temp contolled with a mat, might this better distribute the heat over the whole cell. Obviously, the level of sand wouldn't come up past the shoulder of the cell and may even need to be meshed in place.
Anyone care to highlight possible downsides?

I think sand would retain heat and possibly moisture. As well, if you had to pull one or all, you have to deal with the sand.

I think sand would retain heat and possibly moisture. As well, if you had to pull one or all, you have to deal with the sand.
Thanks, i was thinking the kiln dried stuff that gets worked in between monobloc paving, would actually wick away any moisture, but the battery containment area i had in mind would be fairly sealed and temp controlled with fans and a heating mat. Trying to get a balance between rigidity and heat dissappation. (Might in the end just use the more expensive ribbed cells...just exploring possibilities at moment)

Maybe make a small grid of plastic tubing that can be slid between them?

The sand could also possibly choke off the air if for some reason you had a cell failure and things were catastrophically failing. Many large fuses are filled with sand to contain the explosion of the fuse blowing (and metal vaporizing) as well as quench the arc.

Back