diy solar

diy solar

Tigo optimizers-TS4-A-O to Activate or Not?

onokai

Solar Enthusiast
To activate or Not ? that is the question

I bought 24 Tigo TS4-A-O optimizers for my existing array of 24 panels thinking that winter sun hitting the ground mount array is slowly moving at sunrise arcross array shading 1/2 and dead of winter tree shade midday etc thae may help production . Array is 24panel 400 watt Jinkos. Hooked to Sol-Arc 12kw inverter.I also bought the CCA Kit to see actual panel data and dug a trench for data cable to tab unit on array to sol-arc web friendly area about 100 feet away.
We covered panels one day and rewired all panels in afew hours with optimizers now installed and working. I have yet to turn on the power to CCA data tab unit as that with also make them fire ready (or fire friendly) This funtion does me no good as its a ground mount and I have no reason for fire off protection. As soon as Its powered up when the power goes out the panels turn off and will not feed the Sol -Arc to charge batteries. We often have power outages and my 12 kw generator kicks in wwthin 20 seconds. The plug in outbuilding is not feeding to that generator feed yet (I still have some crawl rewiring to make that happen) so it goes dead in power outage now.

I called Tigo to see if I can deactivate the optimizers once I turn on the CCA unit power and they said no. Once on thats it always will need power to the CCA unit which feeds the tab unit which controls the optimizers. Since my system is off the county radar and I do not need any fire code stuff I'm wondering if maybe I just forget about firing up the data collection (I would not be able to current panel data info) This is a biu=it of a bummer as seeing the data via the Tigo app would be a good thing.

As of now I'm working to get generator power to outbuiling outlet and heat up the outlet to uninterrupted power and am on the fence on weather to turn it on.

Any thoughts on why this may be a bad idea as the optimizers are working now-I just cannot see the data.-The fire protection I could care less about with my ground mount array (which has disconnects at array) and inside on Sol Arc

On another note I'm using any money spent on the system for tax purposes this year so I win ether way with this expense. These cost about $1,700 plus 100 feet of 3/4 conduit and that special Data cable they required.The Tigo stuff I picked up at Alt E at thier west coast warehouse

Have you seen an increase in output?
And if so, was it enough to justify the expense?

I doubt the increse will ever justify the expense except at tax time I get to take some of this off what I will owe. I have not yet looked at the output as I have some other items on my plate Now-I will check that out soon

I've thought about using optimizers. But, decided to spend the money on more panels instead.

I doubt the increse will ever justify the expense except at tax time I get to take some of this off what I will owe. I have not yet looked at the output as I have some other items on my plate Now-I will check that out soon
The optimizer is a no brainer if your local jurisdiction requires panel level rapid shutdown. Pretty much no additional cost compared to other panel level rapid shutdown devices out there.

I looked at the tigo page this morning on the alt-e website. I was thinking about tigos for my install.

Would you mind helping me understand the issue? If you power the CCA unit once, it needs to be powered from then forward, correct? Does it get fed with inverter (120AC) or panel (DC)?

I’m not understanding why that would be a problem either way.

I looked at the tigo page this morning on the alt-e website. I was thinking about tigos for my install.

Would you mind helping me understand the issue? If you power the CCA unit once, it needs to be powered from then forward, correct? Does it get fed with inverter (120AC) or panel (DC)?

I’m not understanding why that would be a problem either way.
I'm confused about how to power the CCA myself. The manual shows DIN power supply or a DC Transformer power supply, which was not supplied.

So lets go over how this system works
1st plug in optimizers to each solar panel-In my system thats 24 panels -so I plugged in 24 optimizers. They now are working without any more power needed. You cannot monitor them but they are working.
If you want to know whats going on per panel via the Tigoi App you buy a CCA unit which comes with a TAB unit which handles a bunch of optimizers -if your array is huge you may need a few of the TABs If I recall one handels 40-50 panels (I can look this up if needed)
In all cases the tab unit is installed in the middle of array to pick up the optimizers signal. My array is about 120 feet conduit length away from sol-arc in outbuilding where I have intenet coverage. The CCA will need internet coverage so whereaver your router signal is is where the CCA can be installed . It also needs 120V. I installed the CCA unit next to Sol arc. Where I have a 120 v outlet and internet via an web extender pluged in.
You need special data cable (within the Tigo specs-I ordered some off the net and it was hard to find for reasonable price per foot. I bought a type withion spec but had extra sheilded conductors (not used) I can look this link up if one needs it. This cable goes to Tab unit and supply low voltage power and data to and fro from Tab to CCA unit. By the way the CCA unit is 100% waterproof as well. Mine is installed inside so that a moot point. This CCA unit can have power supplied via a 12 v transformer (niot supplied) or 120 V supply as it has a build in step down transformer inside unit. I choose to have mine plug into an outlet and wired a 3 prong cord to mine. Once you plug this in the when the power goes out say in a fire or a disconnect mode to that power supply the CCA will tell the Tab unit to shut down all optimizers until power is restored.
That the fire protection. So to be clear the CCA needs power all the time otherwise the solar array is turned off. You can monitor the array (each panel etc and see all the output data (i'm told) one the system is fired up. My issue is I now need to wire my CCA outlet to my backup generator to its always on as I do not need fire control. Right now the system is optimized but I cannot see the data. I'm fine with that

So the CCA can be powered with 12V or 120 . It needs an internet signal to share data with the Tigo phone app.
The Tab unit (which is the same size as all the optimizers) needs to be powered from the CCA unit via a special spec Data cable.
I can add photos if this helps anyone?? just ask
Hope this clears up any questions

. Once you plug this in the when the power goes out say in a fire or a disconnect mode to that power supply the CCA will tell the Tab unit to shut down all optimizers until power is restored.
That seems absolutely crazy. I've been planning on getting the Tigo but this is making me hesitate. So if I try to move my Tigo from one outlet to the next, it will shut down? Since I'll be using the grid as just a back up (once everything is wired up), I'd have to go back flip the breaker on my transfer switch to grid, plug in my Tigo, and then go back and switch to Inverter/solar. Sounds like a nightmare, unless I'm reading this wrong.

To be clear the CCA unit shuts down the optimizers when its not powered so one needs to have it powered most of the time either by solar power or battery power (12v dc) or in my case a standby generator . Minor power on and offs do not matter much as long as it gets power back on then it turns on the optimizers.
As I said at the beginning the optimizers work without the CCA or Tab unit and never turn off if just plugged into the panels. Its the Tab and CCA that collects the data and will turn them off for fire control (most fires will shut down the grid I'm thinking )
So my sytem is optimized just no data to see on the Tigo app.I may leave it this way as I'm on the fence about turning on the CCA unit with power. The reason for this is they are fire contol and optimizer all in one unit.
I personally do not need fire control so its no big deal. I miss the data.
Whatever you choose to power the CCA unit needs constant power or it will shut down your panels. If thats for say 5 minutes while you throw some switches so be it. My CCA is on a outlet which is on solar power during the day and grid power when battery backups are low and backup generator power during a no power situtaion so it may not be an issue

Back