diy solar

diy solar

Tilting panel on a boat?

Kennneee

I think I know the answer but thought I would put it out. I am going to mount 1 =100W solar panel on my boat. The mount will likely keep the panel parallel to the water unless I add some complexity and make it tiltable . Given that the boat will be at anchor in British Columbia during the Summer months most of the time when I need the power, is it a fools errand to incorporate tilting into the mix? Any thoughts appreciated.

i would tilt it.i have 4 100 watt panels on my stealth camper van,overkill if it was tilted.would be great in winter tho.

Given that the boat will be at anchor in British Columbia during the Summer months most of the time when I need the power, is it a fools errand to incorporate tilting into the mix?

If the boat is anchored it will be a fools errand to tilt the panel.

Your boat will swing around the anchor with the wind and your panels may end up tilted away from the sun.

I vote for flat.

I agree with JoeHam, between the wind and waves you'll always be out of "perfect" alignment anyway. Some tilt to split the difference might buy you some gains, but probably not as much as another panel placed diametrically so if one panel is in the shade the other must be in the sun. Just be sure they're on different MPPT inputs if you go that way (in series the shaded panel would bring down the unshaded panel).

I don't think it hurts performance much to parallel the two panels, even with one shaded.
Little with MPPT, even less with PWM.
With the slightest illumination, Voc approaches full, usually at least exceeds Vmp so it doesn't sink any current.

I think it would probably be easier and cheaper to add a second panel than to make it tilt.

Yes, simple is better if you have the space

X, Y, Z

If you have the height, two panels will fit in the space of one. Each tilts up at a 60 degree angle, and they join at the top edge to form an equilateral triangle with the space originally occupied by one flat panel.
That'll catch much more light while the sun is low.
Doesn't take up any more room than an elevated panel with tilting mechanism.

Same shape as this tent:

1612981364392.png

Back