diy solar

diy solar

Time for a new inverter?

Dads2vette

Hey folks, Had my system in place for about 5 years. Recently my inverter has started making noise and from checking online it sounds like it might be transformer windings knocking into each other. Starts making this noise when under heavy load ie. the cheap harbor freight water pump tries but fails to start up. I am replacing that pump with a more efficient model.

Specs:
6 REC 280 watt (30 Volt 8.9 amp panels)
1 96 Amp Midnite classic150 solar charge controller
1 Box w/250 amp inverter disc. 83 Amp GFCI & 80 Amp charge disconnect breakers
8 Rolls Surrette S-480 6 volt 372 AH batteries
1 3000 watt 24 volt Aims inverter with 40 Amp charger
1 30 amp knife dissconnect for A/C side of inverter to feed house system

If you see something wrong with this system let me know. It has been running fine for 5 years. Three major draws are a fridge, 5000btu A/C unit and that water pump. The pump is never run when either of the other two are running.

Any idea on the inverter and suggestions for replacement if needed?

I hate being a newb and asking questions.
dave

The AIMS is made by Sigineer. If you want to get a less expensive version,

The AIMS/Sigineer have brutal surge capabilities. Whatever you consider replacing it with should have TRUE surge. Stick with a heavy low frequency inverter.

That one looks interesting. I am trying to figure out their charge profiles to see how well it works with LiFePo4. Have you tried it?

That one looks interesting. I am trying to figure out their charge profiles to see how well it works with LiFePo4. Have you tried it?
I have not tried anything different than what is listed. I'm too much of a novice to attempt to "screw around".

dave

1618599326866.png

The only thing I don't like about them for LFP is their potentially long absorption time based on a T0 formula in 2.5.2.

While the AGM 2/Lithium program certainly seems to apply for Lithium, without knowing that the absorption is abbreviated for Lithium (the wording below the table implies it's no different), I would choose AGM 1 or Sealed for their lower boost and float voltages (vs. "Lithium") as that would minimize absorption time and occur at a lower voltage. Certain the battery will get to an extremely high state of charge even if not true 100%.

Last edited:
Back