diy solar

diy solar

Time of use arbitrage or Peak Shaving with MPP Solar or Growatt settings with or without Solar Assistant

Chuntzu

I am looking for a better solution to Arizona SRP (Power company) time of use/peak usage charges and was reaching out to see if anyone is using a Growatt or MPP Solar inverter to deal with this. I know a Solark 12K would work since it can work with grid tie net metering and has tou settings but was thinking maybe someone has figured out a way to trigger a Growatt or MPP Solar inverter to switch over to solar and battery only at a specific time (example 5p) and then switch back to grid at a specific time (example 9p) every day. I did see some little information on the lvx6048 may have some settings like that coming in the future. I also was looking into Solar Assistant and saw that it has some different usage programing built in, just not sure how I would utilize that to have it switch back and forth from grid as priority to batteries and then back to make sure zero power usage during peak times. I am aware that Solar Assistant works with mqtt and home assistant and anything technically can be automated....but I was hoping to avoid going down that rabbit hole for now (I do have home assistant running but not very complex set up as of right now).

To explain the situation incase you may not know, peak usage hours change in Arizona to something like 5a-9a and 5p-9p in winter months and in summer months its 1pm-8pm. During these times the power company takes note of your usage and will add a peak usage charge to your bill based on max KWH pulled during any 30min sampling for the month. This peak usage is then multiplied by a fee could be as high as $25 per kw. So you could zero out your usage with net metering but get a $250 charge for the month due to your peak usage in those 30 minute windows. The goal is to use zero power during these peak usage hours. Just not sure if it can be pulled off with the Growatt or MPP Solar inverters and if they would cause any issues with equipment switch from grid to battery back to grid again (would it be a slow enough transfer to shutdown computers or mess with varriable speed and capacity A/C units lennox brand if it matters). Thank you for the help!

ned kelly made a nifty docker monitoring and time of day usage utilizing a pi and home assistant.
was never able to get it to work for my 8000 max's.

currently using jblanche's solution for monitoring, however, havent tried sending commands to the inverter from a node-red flow, nor do i know for sure it is supported

ned kelly made a nifty docker monitoring and time of day usage utilizing a pi and home assistant.
was never able to get it to work for my 8000 max's.

currently using jblanche's solution for monitoring, however, havent tried sending commands to the inverter from a node-red flow, nor do i know for sure it is supported

Nice! Good to know there are other projects beyond Solar Assistant that can work their magic with these hybrid inverters! My hope is that there is a setup/software config that doesn't take me months to implement, lol!! It will end up being like my transcoding cluster and take 6 years to finally be a set it and forget it thing!

Any other projects or suggestions to impliment this configuration change based on time of day?
Also any problems/issues with equipment due to the Inverters switching from grid to battery back to grid again (would it be a slow enough transfer to shutdown computers or mess with variable speed and capacity A/C units Lennox brand if it matters)? I heard/watch some youtube videos that mention flickering lights with low loads.

like i said, ned kelly hasnt implemented the protocols for the gen ii and gen iii voltronic based inverters, never got it work .

jblanche has, but i am unaware if his component allows for mqtt messages toward the inverter.

he is very responsive to his github and supports bms's now too, so you may want to ask him there

I am looking for a better solution to Arizona SRP (Power company) time of use/peak usage charges and was reaching out to see if anyone is using a Growatt or MPP Solar inverter to deal with this. I know a Solark 12K would work since it can work with grid tie net metering and has tou settings but was thinking maybe someone has figured out a way to trigger a Growatt or MPP Solar inverter to switch over to solar and battery only at a specific time (example 5p) and then switch back to grid at a specific time (example 9p) every day. I did see some little information on the lvx6048 may have some settings like that coming in the future. I also was looking into Solar Assistant and saw that it has some different usage programing built in, just not sure how I would utilize that to have it switch back and forth from grid as priority to batteries and then back to make sure zero power usage during peak times. I am aware that Solar Assistant works with mqtt and home assistant and anything technically can be automated....but I was hoping to avoid going down that rabbit hole for now (I do have home assistant running but not very complex set up as of right now).

To explain the situation incase you may not know, peak usage hours change in Arizona to something like 5a-9a and 5p-9p in winter months and in summer months its 1pm-8pm. During these times the power company takes note of your usage and will add a peak usage charge to your bill based on max KWH pulled during any 30min sampling for the month. This peak usage is then multiplied by a fee could be as high as $25 per kw. So you could zero out your usage with net metering but get a $250 charge for the month due to your peak usage in those 30 minute windows. The goal is to use zero power during these peak usage hours. Just not sure if it can be pulled off with the Growatt or MPP Solar inverters and if they would cause any issues with equipment switch from grid to battery back to grid again (would it be a slow enough transfer to shutdown computers or mess with varriable speed and capacity A/C units lennox brand if it matters). Thank you for the help!
Did you ever get anything to work on this? I’m trying to do this in the 6548’s using the output source priority timer and charge priority timers and they don’t seem to work. I feel like there is a setting I’m missing to tell it to use the times, but not sure.

Did you ever get anything to work on this? I’m trying to do this in the 6548’s using the output source priority timer and charge priority timers and they don’t seem to work. I feel like there is a setting I’m missing to tell it to use the times, but not sure.
Nope, I picked up a solark and that does the trick.

Back