diy solar

diy solar

Tiny 4 wire circuit connector

Pardon the stupid question ? but how does one read the code ?
Its not a code
It's space formatted as it to describe a topology of 2 cells in series and two cells in parallel that have a common cell.
The goal is to charge the parallel cells
The larger goal is to use the bms for the series to terminate the charge for the parallel.

smoothJoey, is that code something you made up or is it something widely used?
I assume you are some type of computer programmer.
I made it up.
Some people get it, most don't :).

Its still evolving.
The last set is is a bit aberrant.

HTML:
legend {
    + { positive pole }
    - { negative pole }
    | { parallel connection point }
   n.N { 2 dimensional array where n is parallel and N is serial }
}

2 cells in serial
I don't think this will short
+cell_0.0-+cell_0.1-

2 cells in parralel
I don't think this will short
|+cell_0.0-|
|+cell_1.0-|

2 cells in serial and 2 in parralel with a common cell
I don't think this will short either but I think @BiduleOhm thinks it will short
|+cell_0.0-|+cell_0.1-
|+cell_1.0-|

Last edited:
BiduleOhm, how do I check for a short without making sparks?

edit: or without blowing fuses

1st solution: measure the voltage between the two wires you want to connect: if it's different from 0 then you (might)* have a problem. Use the low impedance mode of your DMM if it has one. * DMM are very high impedance devices and ghost voltages might show up and make you believe there's a problem when there's not.

2nd solution (better): put a resistor (a few kOhms for the majority of cases is fine, for high voltages you need to increase the value) between the wires you want to connect and measure the voltage across it (or the current going through it): if it's different from 0 then you have a problem.

I should have looked it up instead of asking. I need to use the resistance or continuity test on my multi meter.

I don't recommend that for two reasons: first it'll not detect all problems, second you need to power off your circuit to use the continuity mode of the DMM (and you can't turn off a battery...).

//

I made it up.

Its still evolving.

Coming from a programming background even I have a hard time understanding what you want to express in your code most of the time.

I mostly think it's simply because this format isn't suited (at all) to electrical diagrams. However it's well suited to making lists of components with dependencies and nesting possibilities if you want to use it for that ;)

If you want to use a text based format to do diagrams then use ASCII art; for example: https://pastebin.com/FXmbSVZ9 Warning: it takes time, and I highly recommend using an editor having a column edit mode to gain some time...

//

2 cells in serial and 2 in parralel with a common cell
I don't think this will short either but I think @BiduleOhm thinks it will short
|+cell_0.0-|+cell_0.1-
|+cell_1.0-|

If cell_0.1 and cell_1.0 are actually the same physical cell then you have a short, guaranteed.

If cell_0.1 and cell_1.0 are actually the same physical cell then you have a short, guaranteed.
They are separate physical cells.
So I guess its not a problem after all.

Last edited:
1st solution: measure the voltage between the two wires you want to connect: if it's different from 0 then you (might)* have a problem. Use the low impedance mode of your DMM if it has one. * DMM are very high impedance devices and ghost voltages might show up and make you believe there's a problem when there's not.

2nd solution (better): put a resistor (a few kOhms for the majority of cases is fine, for high voltages you need to increase the value) between the wires you want to connect and measure the voltage across it (or the current going through it): if it's different from 0 then you have a problem.
I have never worked with a resistor. I see them mentioned often so I guess I better learn to understand them better.
I would like to do a quick test before tossing a busbar onto the studs. Shorts are probably a good argument against using studs.
I will play around with my mutimeter to see if I can easily detect a short. I will start researching resistors too. But I need something simple and quick. I see Will confidently tossing busbars around. I am not that confident.

Last edited:
They are separate physical cells.

Ok, then it's perfectly fine ;)

I have never worked with a resistor. I see them mentioned often so I guess I better learn to understand them better.
I would like to do a quick test before tossing a busbar onto the studs. Shorts are probably a good argument against using studs.
I will play around with my mutimeter to see if I can easily detect a short. I will start researching resistors too. But I need something simple and quick. I see Will confidently tossing busbars around. I am not that confident.

If we're talking about cells and they're not connected to anything else (SCC, inverter, loads, ...) at that point then you can just use a voltmeter, you'll not have any ghost voltages ;)

NB: I forgot to mention it before but all those tests are invalid if your circuit is closed. So for example if you want to measure between two cell terminals then you need to check there's no loads connected to the battery (simplest is to open the breaker or remove the fuse) but that shouldn't be a problem if you're in the process of assembling your battery anyway.

I made it up.

Its still evolving.
It's all Greek to me - I cannot even manage Python ;) Too old to learn new languages. I am as confused as Zingy , your pet elephant.

It's all Greek to me - I cannot even manage Python ;) Too old to learn new languages. I am as confused as Zingy , your pet elephant.
That's Schmingie and he is reasonably savvy with these things. ;)

Back