diy solar

diy solar

Tiny cheap solar for trailcams?

Pincones

Here's something I couldn't find any hits on when I searched the forums. I'm sick of finding a dead trailcam, sick of throwing out AA batteries, and the cost of the *cheapest* rechargeable AA batteries equates to the cost of 3-4 years worth of single-use Duracell AA's. They're not really a viable alternative.
8 batteries per cam = roughly $12 in dirt-cheap rechargeables per cam
1 time expense of 1 or more chargers + excess batteries so I have extras waiting when some die might be another $50
versus:
100 high quality single-use batteries (about 2-3 years worth of batteries per camera) = $35-$45

Bummer, right?
I did some math- if my AA's last 1-3 months on quality batteries, and if the highest mAh rating on AA's I can find online are 2500-3000mAh, then it might be fair to suggest that the trailcams eat 30-50 mAh per day- just a guess since Duracell's don't advertise what Ah they are. It's also variable based on how much activity/filming the cameras are actually doing.

I have some trail cams that have alternative 12v DC input ports, and some that do not. I can get a tiny 100mah solar "panel" for like $5 ready to plug straight into a controller or battery. I can also get a basic 12v charge controller or circuit for less than $10. I've even scratched the surface of exploring buying cells for this, but it doesn't look like it would be that much cheaper for the extra work in connecting and mounting the cells vs. buying a $5 panel.

What I'm investigating is either investing in a tiny setup for each cam, or possibly just moving the panel/controller between cams as their (beefy external) batteries get low. Hopefully the batteries would last a few months and moving the setup would be once a month or less chore.

At the least, that's $15~ for a tiny 12v trickle charge panel and basic PWM charger. Depending on the batteries I go with, that could be per cam or just getting 1 or 2 of them and rotating them throughout all the cams as needed.

A tiny 3x2x5 AGM 7ah battery is $20 or less. But I'm still exploring battery options. These batteries will be outdoors year-round, exposed to sub-zero temps, up through 80-90ºF max. We can build a little box or something to keep them dry, no problems there.

Even if a "permanent" battery and charge setup ends up costing more than rechargeable AA's, it's still worth it to me to 1. not have trail cams dying without me noticing between card changes, 2. keep track of and juggle rechargeable batteries, and 3. have to change batteries out every month or three between all the cams. If I have to pay a bit more for a 'set and forget' power system, that's worth it.

I rarely move my trailcams, they're fixtures on my property in key areas. When needed I can just visit them, pop the SD card out, pop a new one in, and be on my way (as long as batteries don't need my attention). So hooking a small setup to them wouldn't be a big deal.

Any thoughts or input on the ideas? I haven't purchased anything yet, I'm just scoping the idea out :)

Back