diy solar

diy solar

Tiny Home - 100watt

Deep Fried Dad

Hi everyone!
I have a tiny home that I would like to power some low-wattage LED lights, charge a laptop, and power some small fans. I already own a 100 watt solar panel, 30A PWM charge controller, and a 500 watt 12v inverter. My question is what is the smallest size of Sealed Lead Acid battery I could safely use with this setup? It will only be used a few times a month for some overnights.

...power some low-wattage LED lights, charge a laptop, and power some small fans.
Find 12V equivalents of everything and don't use the inverter. You need to conserve every watt you got.

What I use for my office:
Battery Harbor Fright 35AH find a 20% off super coupon
Fan Noctua 140mm Silent has a pleasing sound and moves lots of air
LED lights DIODER from IKEA, they have lots of choices, look for 12V wall warts.
Laptop use a car charger.

Otherwise make sure your 500 watt 12v inverter is pure sine. List the model number here.

Attachments

• 12V UPS system.jpg
    12V UPS system.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Case Fan.JPG
    Case Fan.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Dioder install.jpg
    Dioder install.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Agree no inverter.

you can get a pretty comprehensive solution with Ryobi.

lights, batteries, 12 volt battery charger, room lights, fans, radios, a little phone charger, etc.

Go ahead and spring for a little 50-100 amp hour LiFePO4 and controller.

The tiny inverter is neat.

C83AADAB-0FC8-4DD8-83BD-F74B6A2B9419.jpeg

what is the smallest size of Sealed Lead Acid battery I could safely use with this setup?
For my money I might spend the $100 on a ~100Ah marine battery at walmartha. Plenty of capacity and with lead acid you should only discharge to 12.06V anyway that gives you 50Ah usable.

for my money I'd buy a small lithium battery so I didn't have to worry about recharging right away and not having to keep it fully charged all the time. Lithium doesn't care about either
I would too, but I figure since he specified lead-acid I didn't want to get pushy :)
You could get a LiFePO4 for just a little more.

@Deep Fried Dad Where you live, does it get down to freezing temps? Lead Acid would be fine for those times where the temps dip but LFP would require a heated compartment or at least low temp cutoff. Have a wood stove? Do you have narrow budget restrictions or just trying to keep it as minimal as possible?

A good quality LiFePO4 is worth the extra if you can swing it. Something Will recommends. Good for a decade (?) of heavy use. No worries. I’ve got zero regrets on my battle borns. I’d feel the same about a SOK.

@Deep Fried Dad Where you live, does it get down to freezing temps? Lead Acid would be fine for those times where the temps dip but LFP would require a heated compartment or at least low temp cutoff. Have a wood stove? Do you have narrow budget restrictions or just trying to keep it as minimal as possible?
Hey there sorry for the late reply and thanks so much for your response! Yes your correct it will get down to some nasty low temps here is southern Ontario. That's why I am not really interested in Lipo. I would LOVE to have a wood stove but space is tight in my 8x8 , and mini stoves and pipes are far too expensive. I will be heating with a small direct vent propane wall heater. Right now I went and purchased a 10ah Sealed Lead Acid battery and following the advice of other members, I am trying to use 12v accessories to eliminate the need for the inverter. I wasn't really aware that the inverter would consume power also.

Agree no inverter.

you can get a pretty comprehensive solution with Ryobi.

lights, batteries, 12 volt battery charger, room lights, fans, radios, a little phone charger, etc.

Go ahead and spring for a little 50-100 amp hour LiFePO4 and controller.

The tiny inverter is neat.

View attachment 99420
very cool! I actually just purchased a Ryobi 18v lawnmower and it came ith 2 of the these 4ah batts. I will certainly be looking into this as a solution!

Back