diy solar

diy solar

Tiny solar battery project

jbernal

I have automatic chicken coop doors that run on 2 AA batteries, and I have been thinking about putting in some NIMH batteries and a tiny solar cell to keep them charged. I’ve already got some little 3v solar panels from another project. Since the stakes are so low, can I just put the solar cell parallel on the battery circuit without any diodes or resistors? Or does it need a little something to keep it from eating itself? TIA

When the cells don't get any sun (at night or heavy clouds) they will actually consume power from your batteries.
I would at least add a diode between the cells and the batteries.
But then you might need to consider connecting two cells in series, because there is a voltage drop of around 0.6v when using a diode.
You mentioned that the cells are 3v, is that open circuit voltage (Voc) or max power point voltage (Vmp)?

I might use a single 18650 li-ion cell.
I wouldn't do that without some protection circuit.
The Li-ion could get overcharged (we don't know if the 3v stated it open circuit or not), or dump energy back to the solar panel as I mentioned.

Li-ion are not very forgiving if you don't treat them right. Thermal runaway, smoke, fire... that kind of stuff.

I wouldn't do that without some protection circuit.
The Li-ion could get overcharged (we don't know if the 3v stated it open circuit or not), or dump energy back to the solar panel as I mentioned.

Li-ion are not very forgiving if you don't treat them right. Thermal runaway, smoke, fire... that kind of stuff.
put the battery in parallel with a zener shunt circuit so that if the voltage gets above X, the zener will bypass the panel output.

When the cells don't get any sun (at night or heavy clouds) they will actually consume power from your batteries.
I would at least add a diode between the cells and the batteries.
But then you might need to consider connecting two cells in series, because there is a voltage drop of around 0.6v when using a diode.
You mentioned that the cells are 3v, is that open circuit voltage (Voc) or max power point voltage (Vmp)?
That's open circuit. 2 AA batteries. Solar panel puts out 3V @ 120mA not sure there is a chance of overload here, my main concern is not having a parasitic load from the cells.

I would follow DThames advice, fit a zener across the whole thing to prevent overcharging damage.

I would worry less about parasitic load, if it does tend to drain down in cloudy weather, just add a larger (or more) solar panels, and/or a larger battery.
You will do better installing a slightly larger system overall, if that proves necessary, rather than trying to squeeze the last one percent out of something that is just under powered.

Back