diy solar

diy solar

Tips to find the rafters?

Stephen InGeorgia

Any tips or tricks to find rafters under an asphalt roof?

I have a roof area that I can not access from below to find the rafters. I already have the racking and have installed it before, but I could access the underside in my shed to determine rafter locations. I think I saw something about a bent wire at an angle one time. I've never been able to sound it with a hammer. I don't want to drill a bunch of holes. Is there a stud finder that will work with 5/8 plywood sheeting and a roof?

You might be able to find the rafters and spacing at the roof edge by looking for where the soffit is nailed to it. Once you you have that it is simply a matter of following it to the peak.

Nice! I'll get me one of those. Thats basically what I saw someone do with a piece of wire but this has a much better setup
Either works. Just use some rough measurements to get within 1-2” of the side of the rafter first.

See here :

You might be able to find the rafters and spacing at the roof edge by looking for where the soffit is nailed to it. Once you you have that it is simply a matter of following it to the peak.
Like he said or look for the gutter anchors. If installed properly they should be nailed into the tail of the rafter.

Once you drill a hole, simply take a hanger, and then stretch it out but leave a hook. Then twist it around until you feel the block which is the joist. Verify the other direction. This method worked beautifully for me!

Once you drill a hole, simply take a hanger, and then stretch it out but leave a hook. Then twist it around until you feel the block which is the joist.

That $20 tool linked above looks like it would do a better job of getting the exact center line distance, than a wire or hanger you have to try and measure accurately.

Back