diy solar

diy solar

TITAN Help needed please!!!

mediamash

Hey everyone... just got my Titan x 3 batteries... was SO looking forward to it and I'm so depressed...

Fully charged the batteries before stacking, changed the amps to 222 as stated in the manual

Stacked the batteries and plugged into my school bus conversion via my 30 amp plug and when I plug anything in to charge the wattage output jumps all over the place from 30 to 34 to 41 to 37 to 54 to 42 to 36 and so on and so on.... and my LED lights flicker really bad, then when I unplug everything my lights are fine and no wattage fluctuation.. plug in my macbook and flickering and wattage jumparound.

What in the hell am I doing wrong

FYI. I just upgraded from my Inergy Kodiak and I never had any of these issues with that system, and I was under the impression that the TITAN was a huge step up???

Can anyone help???

Congrats, that setup with three batteries should be great. Make sure the batteries are equally charged before starting. Start with just one battery on the basic settings to be sure your control module is working right. Then try each battery with that setup to see if each battery is functioning correctly. Reset to two, trying them that way.

If it doesn’t operate on one battery while charging, time to contact your dealer!

Recharged each battery, and reset the amp meter to 74 for just one battery... turned it on and the starting watts (for the inverter) jump around between 11 to 14, then i plugged in my laptop again (I have tried with other things too!) and again the watt draw jumps from low 30's up to high 90's.. tried each fully charged battery and it's the same on each one... what in the actual F???

Thanks for reporting this here.

Make a call to titan support, or email, and post here for us to see what response you get.

Titan is NOT cheap, their response should be quick.

My 1st call Monday morning is to TITAN... they were great in getting one out to me quickly, but for it NOT to work out of the box from minute one after spending $10k canadian is a joke

And now... nothing... no power output at all... turned it on and it’s showing 0 watts so the inverter is drawing no power and plugged in stuff and nothing coming from either the ac side or the dc side... what a joke

don't be discouraged.

Odds are good it is a simple issue.
Hell, electronics fail out of the box all the time. Can't really fault just due to a failure, what matters is how they handle it.

You do know cosmic rays damage electronics all the time... if wiring got dislodged, it will be a quality control issue, if a part failed after testing, or in transit, repairs will be made.

These are new on the scene devices, WE are the beta testing group.

Hang in there and let us know how it goes.
You might want to mention that you bought the Titan System based on Will's Review and that you ARE posting about your experience on this Wesite which belongs to Will. You could even give them a link to Will's Review & this thread. Nothing like PR Pressure with a dash of Social Media (influential one too) being on your side.

Spoke with them today. This is the message:

Hi Gary.
From the sounds of it , it would seem the inverter is bad.
We do test these before we ship them, but sometimes we don't catch them when the work for a little while before failing.
We will be happy to fix this for you, however you will need to ship it back to us: Once we get the unit back we will replace the inverter and thoroughly test it to make sure everything works correctly.
Thanks David

David is the the owner I think??? They also said they would pay to have it shipped back, which was nice of them

I'll keep you updated on the journey!

Spoke with them today. This is the message:

Hi Gary.
From the sounds of it , it would seem the inverter is bad.
We do test these before we ship them, but sometimes we don't catch them when the work for a little while before failing.
We will be happy to fix this for you, however you will need to ship it back to us: Once we get the unit back we will replace the inverter and thoroughly test it to make sure everything works correctly.
Thanks David

David is the the owner I think??? They also said they would pay to have it shipped back, which was nice of them

I'll keep you updated on the journey!
When it’s DOA, they sure ought to be paying the shipping. Like you said. At 10 grand this wasn’t buying a cheap no-name unit from China. Will got a bad one himself, and was pretty forgiving about it, but it looks like they’re failing out of the gate more than they ought to be.

UPDATE:

Got the Titan back yesterday... fully charged each battery AGAIN, stacked them, turned the TITAN on and..... THE EXACT SAME FUCKING THING!!!!!
- Wattage going all over the place
- LED lights flickering like I'm at a rave in 1994
They said the precharge relay was changed and that they tested it fully... bullshit!!! and this is the same if I plug into the 30amp plug or into the AC outlets directly.. so It's not a grounding issue as they are trying to say

I have had my Inergy Apex for over a year & 1/2 and I have had no issues at all (apart from the 500w max continuous draw on their inverter) No flickering lights, no wattage jumping all over and it runs my tiny home with NO ISSUES, I also have a $500 champion generator with a 3000w inverter and that doesn't make my lights flicker at all either.

So, What do I do????

This system is supposed to be the best out of the box solution on the market and it sucks. and it has cost me so far close to 11k cad for a system that DOESN'T WORK

I spoke with David the owner and he thinks maybe it's because the TITAN has a floating ground? so he suggested I get a ground neutral bonding plug and see if that stops it? But shouldn't this work out of the box??

I currently have the Inergy Apex (two of them) and they work with no issues at all.. no wattage fluctuations, no lights flickering at all

Man, that TOTALLY sucks!

Point zero REALLY needs to solve this.

maybe there is something to the grounding.

please post pictures of what you have connected and where.
Maybe we can spot an issue you aren’t considering.

Last edited:
Man, that TOTALLY sucks!

inergy REALLY needs to solve this.

maybe there is something to the grounding.

please post pictures of what you have connected and where.
Maybe we can spot an issue you aren’t considering.
Not Inergy.. this is the Point Zero Titan...

I have 2 x Inergy Apex and they work just fine, no wattage fluctuation, no LED lights flickering for 2 years

I have my 30 amp plugged into my 120v breaker box (professionally installed) and it has worked 100% of the time from either my apex, my gas generator or from shore power.

I have done everything they have suggested, plugging in to the ac plugs directly - same issue plugging in a grounded bonded plug - same issue

but yet on my inferior inergy system - no issues on my cheap gas generator - no issues

I sent the unit back, and they sent me the SAME unit back wit the same problem and now I am being told that I need to pay to have this non working unit sent back a 2nd time and pay to get a new titan sent to me... so to get a working titan is going to cost me an extra $1200 in shipping fees and duty as I'm in canada

I'm very disappointed with their customer service and how they treat their customers, basically they sent me a dud and they won't admit it or fix their mistakes, without it costing me and arm and a leg

Not Inergy.. this is the Point Zero Titan...

I have 2 x Inergy Apex and they work just fine, no wattage fluctuation, no LED lights flickering for 2 years

I have my 30 amp plugged into my 120v breaker box (professionally installed) and it has worked 100% of the time from either my apex, my gas generator or from shore power.

I have done everything they have suggested, plugging in to the ac plugs directly - same issue plugging in a grounded bonded plug - same issue

but yet on my inferior inergy system - no issues on my cheap gas generator - no issues

I sent the unit back, and they sent me the SAME unit back wit the same problem and now I am being told that I need to pay to have this non working unit sent back a 2nd time and pay to get a new titan sent to me... so to get a working titan is going to cost me an extra $1200 in shipping fees and duty as I'm in canada

I'm very disappointed with their customer service and how they treat their customers, basically they sent me a dud and they won't admit it or fix their mistakes, without it costing me and arm and a leg
Wow... that’s not right at all. I ended up building a Victron/BattleBorn based system when the Titan was unavailable for order. You’re sure making me glad I did.

Does it do the same thing with just one battery? While they might be right about the floating ground, they should either have a way to set it for connection to a house ground (as Victron does), or tell you it won’t do that before you buy it. If that is the case, everything should work fine without it connected to your distribution box, so if you run a few extension cords and everything works fine like that, the house ground seems a likely possibility.

Wow... that’s not right at all. I ended up building a Victron/BattleBorn based system when the Titan was unavailable for order. You’re sure making me glad I did.

Does it do the same thing with just one battery? While they might be right about the floating ground, they should either have a way to set it for connection to a house ground (as Victron does), or tell you it won’t do that before you buy it. If that is the case, everything should work fine without it connected to your distribution box, so if you run a few extension cords and everything works fine like that, the house ground seems a likely possibility.
Yes we are currently testing with ONE battery DIRECT via extension cords into the Titan, bypassing the breaker box

We have spent the last hour testing various combos of appliances and lights... here are the results:

We plug in direct to the Titan via the AC ports - we did a iPhone, iPad, Coffee milk steamer, galaxy phone & Indoor LED rope lights… Now these held kind of steady on the wattage.. and the indoor LED rope lights did not flicker

Then we plugged in one laptop and the wattage jumping started and the indoor LED rope lights lights started to flicker, then we plugged in the 2nd laptop and the same thing happened, and then we plugged in our Danby 9.5 cubic ft fridge/freezer and again, jumping wattage and indoor lights flicker

either laptop or the fridge so far in testing makes the wattage starts jumping all over and THEN the indoor LED lights start to flicker

HOWEVER - I plugged in my oil heater which pulls 1.7kw and my laptop at the same time and the wattage fluctuations went away and the lights stopped flickering.

Man, that’s bizarre. You’d think, if anything, it would get unstable under a big load but it seems to work better! I can‘t think of anything about a laptop that should cause that behavior. The fridge, maybe, with the compressor. Crazy stuff, but there’s a reason... I‘m hopeful one of the electricity wizards in here stop by to comment.

Back