diy solar

diy solar

TITAN Help needed please!!!

Man, that’s bizarre. You’d think, if anything, it would get unstable under a big load but it seems to work better! I can‘t think of anything about a laptop that should cause that behavior. The fridge, maybe, with the compressor. Crazy stuff, but there’s a reason... I‘m hopeful one of the electricity wizards in here stop by to comment.
Thats my hope... or Will Prowse may see this and chime in!!!

Hope you find a solution soon after that BIG investment ✌
Way too many bells and whistles for my comfort zone. Like having a car with all the options that make things easy til they start acting up. ?

Hope you find a solution soon after that BIG investment ✌
Way too many bells and whistles for my comfort zone. Like having a car with all the options that make things easy til they start acting up. ?
Thanks, yes huge investment... and their website says they treat like family and they have amazing customer service... except if you live in Canada then they are all "give us more money and we'll maybe send you a working unit"

Hey everyone... just got my Titan x 3 batteries... was SO looking forward to it and I'm so depressed...

Fully charged the batteries before stacking, changed the amps to 222 as stated in the manual

Stacked the batteries and plugged into my school bus conversion via my 30 amp plug and when I plug anything in to charge the wattage output jumps all over the place from 30 to 34 to 41 to 37 to 54 to 42 to 36 and so on and so on.... and my LED lights flicker really bad, then when I unplug everything my lights are fine and no wattage fluctuation.. plug in my macbook and flickering and wattage jumparound.

What in the hell am I doing wrong

FYI. I just upgraded from my Inergy Kodiak and I never had any of these issues with that system, and I was under the impression that the TITAN was a huge step up???

Can anyone help???

I didn't even realize that I had the same problem until I reread this thread a few times!!! I have never had the AC output shutoff like you but have the LED flicker and wattage output jumps you mentioned.

My output wattage jumps all over the place as well and I honestly didn't think it was a big deal and my LED lights also flicker unless there is a couple hundred watt load on the inverter. I have mine wired up in an off grid coastal fishing cabin to run a refrigerator all the time, keep wifi and security system running and turn on our AC's when we are about 1-2 hours away so that it cools down by the time we get there. I also run the AC a few times a week during peak solar period to keep the humidity down.

We almost always have over 200 watts on the inverter so I only notice the LED light flickering on the rare occasion that we don't have a larger load on the inverter but yes it is a lot of flickering! Dang I didn't realize I had a problem but noticed there was a bizarre strobe effect on our LED lights right away but like I said with a load on the inverter over 100-200 watts the flicker seems to go away.

I didn't even realize that I had the same problem until I reread this thread a few times!!! I have never had the AC output shutoff like you but have the LED flicker and wattage output jumps you mentioned.

My output wattage jumps all over the place as well and I honestly didn't think it was a big deal and my LED lights also flicker unless there is a couple hundred watt load on the inverter. I have mine wired up in an off grid coastal fishing cabin to run a refrigerator all the time, keep wifi and security system running and turn on our AC's when we are about 1-2 hours away so that it cools down by the time we get there. I also run the AC a few times a week during peak solar period to keep the humidity down.

We almost always have over 200 watts on the inverter so I only notice the LED light flickering on the rare occasion that we don't have a larger load on the inverter but yes it is a lot of flickering! Dang I didn't realize I had a problem but noticed there was a bizarre strobe effect on our LED lights right away but like I said with a load on the inverter over 100-200 watts the flicker seems to go away.
YES!!! we have noticed when we have an inverter load of over 200w the flickering stops... glad to know I'm not the only one!!! The AC hasn't shut down since we sent it back and got it fixed, but the flickering is still there unless we have a higher than 150-200w load on it.

YES!!! we have noticed when we have an inverter load of over 200w the flickering stops... glad to know I'm not the only one!!! The AC hasn't shut down since we sent it back and got it fixed, but the flickering is still there unless we have a higher than 150-200w load on it.

I have an Arlo camera set to be able to monitor the screen on the Titan and so I took a quick video of the wattage fluctuation. Is this what you are seeing? This is after dark so there is no solar input which I can understand would create variability as the solar input fluctuates with cloud cover, heat, etc.

Here is a video link of the stability in output once a larger load is placed on the inverter. I have a 5,000 BTU window unit on along with everything else from the first video and you can see the wattage has stabilized.

I have an Arlo camera set to be able to monitor the screen on the Titan and so I took a quick video of the wattage fluctuation. Is this what you are seeing? This is after dark so there is no solar input which I can understand would create variability as the solar input fluctuates with cloud cover, heat, etc.

Yes to both videos. that is EXACTLY what our unit does... thank god someone else is having the same issues. They said they had NEVER seen an issue like mine before... where to go from here???

Yes to both videos. that is EXACTLY what our unit does... thank god someone else is having the same issues. They said they had NEVER seen an issue like mine before... where to go from here???

I will contact their customer support and let them know I am having a similar issue. I don't really know what to do with mine though as it is in a remote location and we probably won't be headed back out their for a few weeks.

I am speaking with them a lot... not sure what to do about I was hoping a new unit would fix the problem as I was under the impression from them that this has never happened before? But now I don't think a new unit will solve the issue at all?

Yes the issue has been resolved. We discovered a few inverters would flicker certain lights under certain loads (I only know of two such occurrences, out of the thousands of systems we have sent out). Essentially it had to be a perfect combination of load, light, etc. We found adding an extra capacitor fixed the problem (they all now have this extra capacitor, so there should be no more problems with this). We did not find this during our testing, because we always tested at high loads. Now we test for this, and tested 500 of our inverters without the extra capacitor, and found two with the issue, however we added the capacitor to all of them just to make sure.

One of the problems is this customer is in Canada, and we don't cover shipping for warranty work to and from any location outside of the continual US. We actually discourage anyone from buying one outside of the continual US because of this, but some people are willing to tank the risk. However we did send him a new power module (we paid shipping) without him returning the old one (because he was using it off-grid, and didn't want to loose power, or have to use his apex while he waited to ship it to us). He was supposed to return the old one when he got the new one, but now that we he has the new one we have lost contact with him, and he has not returned the old unit.

I guess that is what we get for trying to be helpful. From now on we will not be sending out new units until we have the old one.

Yes the issue has been resolved. We discovered a few inverters would flicker certain lights under certain loads (I only know of two such occurrences, out of the thousands of systems we have sent out). Essentially it had to be a perfect combination of load, light, etc. We found adding an extra capacitor fixed the problem (they all now have this extra capacitor, so there should be no more problems with this). We did not find this during our testing, because we always tested at high loads. Now we test for this, and tested 500 of our inverters without the extra capacitor, and found two with the issue, however we added the capacitor to all of them just to make sure.

One of the problems is this customer is in Canada, and we don't cover shipping for warranty work to and from any location outside of the continual US. We actually discourage anyone from buying one outside of the continual US because of this, but some people are willing to tank the risk. However we did send him a new power module (we paid shipping) without him returning the old one (because he was using it off-grid, and didn't want to loose power, or have to use his apex while he waited to ship it to us). He was supposed to return the old one when he got the new one, but now that we he has the new one we have lost contact with him, and he has not returned the old unit.

I guess that is what we get for trying to be helpful. From now on we will not be sending out new units until we have the old one.

Thanks for the detailed response. Can't wait to receive my Titan in January and report back on it. Despite using NMC batteries instead of LFP batteries, spec-wise, the Titan is still untouchable.

Thanks for the detailed response. Can't wait to receive my Titan in January and report back on it. Despite using NMC batteries instead of LFP batteries, spec-wise, the Titan is still untouchable.

No Problem, and thanks for your purchase, and compliment!

As the saying goes, "There's always two sides to every story. "

Last edited:
Back