diy solar

diy solar

Titan noise level

GAmountain

Does the Titan solar generator make a lot of noise under normal conditions? I saw the thread that identified the AC charging unit as making a lot of noise, but how about the unit connected to solar? Does the fan run a lot while charging? while discharging under load? Would it be loud and annoying in a Tiny House? And would it produce a lot of heat that would impact a tiny house (especially in summer)? It might depend on the size of load, but I'm curious what people have found. PointZero doesn't offer a dB rating.

I heard back from David at PointZero about this. Here's what he said:

"Until the cooling fans turn on, it is nearly silent.

If you have a load of around 900 watts (less when it is hot), the cooling fans will turn on after a few minutes, and cycle on and off. The fans are about 50 decibels at 5', and 60 decibels at 6 inches when they are on.

There are also some smaller solar MPPT fans on the back that will give some noise when you are charging.

As for the heat. It will depend on how much power you are using, and how much you are chargeing. The Inverter is about 85% efficient (more efficient at some loads, and less at others), and the mppt controllers are about 95% efficient.

So a rough estimate of how much heat it puts out is 15% of your load, and 5% of your solar input. So if you are running a 1,000 watt AC unit, and putting in 1500 watts of solar (as an example), you could estimate you are putting out 150 watts of heat from the inverter, and 75 watts from the charge controllers. So it would be heating at about 225 watts.

To give you an idea, a 10,000 BTU AC unit will be cooling at a rate of around 3,000 watts. So if you were adding 225 watts in, the total cooling would be 2775 BTU instead of 3,000."

[Note that for my plan (an 8x16 Tiny House), a 5,000-6,000 BTU window unit would be sufficient, running at 500 watts. So the heating/cooling profile would still work OK (I would probably choose the 6,000 BTU unit), and at night I could manage my total load for quiet running. No charge fan noise or heat at night either. -GAmountain]

Back