diy solar

diy solar

Titan Solar Generator 1.5 year update and review

wjmcfarl

I wanted to provide a relatively long term daily use update of the Point Zero Titan 1.0 solar generator which has been in constant use at our fishing cabin. The original purchase was made in 04/25/2020 and the generator and batteries were delivered 08/31/2020. COVID and supply chain problems extended delay times considerably but communication was pretty good through the whole process. We purchased through PoweredPortaleSolar.com and Ben did a good jo dealing with my persistent emails, lol.

Our original setup included the Titan as well as 2 of the expansion batteries so we could maximize the AC inverter output capacity to the full 3000w which essentially matches our gas generator capacity. I also installed an automatic transfer switch to make the whole process of switching from gas generator to solar generator as foolproof and seamless as possible and so far it has worked perfectly.

Below I have outlined the pros and cons of the current Titan 1.0 model and how it has worked for us. Overall, we absolutely love it!

Titan Pros:
1. This thing is a beast! AC inverter output is 3000w continuous with a very good 6000w peak output. With our current two battery setup it has almost the exact same output capacity as our 3500w Predator gas generator so there really isn't anything we cannot run since everything in the cabin is 120v. This makes it supper easy for visitors to the cabin since there isn't anything we need to limit with regards to output.
2. Other than an initial AC inverter output issue we have had nothing but steady performance from the Titan. It runs 24/7/365. Warranty service was quick and easy for us!
3. Super rugged construction. We leave it in a semi-permanent install in our cabin and only take it back home if there is a large tropical storm. It has survived a few trips back and forth with no issues. Even though it is located inside the cabin this is a high salt environment and no issues from that at all.
4. Capacity is good with 2 batteries. We have only had them fully discharge a few times during winter when we had 3-4 days in a row of cloud cover or if someone forgets and leaves a high energy utility on like the 12kw mini-split air conditioner or water heater.
5. With the 1500w of solar input we are completely charged back to 100% by 2-3pm on a cloudy day and usually by noon or earlier on a sunny. I may work to optimize solar panel angles but we haven't really had any issues and they are mostly flat maybe at a 5 degree tilt.
6. Capacity is excellent with two of the 24V 74ah expansion batteries. Looking to minimize our gas generator usage and will be adding 2 more expansion batteries soon.
7. Very low standby energy consumption. With no load the AC inverter uses about 12-15w. Since the unit is on 24/7/365 this is important for us.
8. Customer service and warranty work has been phenomenal from Point Zero. I just sent an email out Saturday about our wall charger regularly blowing the fuse and a replacement charger was sent out Monday!

Titan Cons:
1. This is obviously not a very portable setup but the ability to separate the components does help with occasional transfer that takes place
2. The cooling fans do get loud during heavy loads. They also cycles on and off so I don't think it is something that would be very easy to place in a bedroom unless utilization was light.
3. We did initially have a weird low load power fluctuation issue with the AC inverter output and finally the AC inverter went out entirely. This was repaired under warranty without any issues from Point Zero energy and at no cost to us at all. Since the repair it has been rock steady and there is no more fluctuations in the AC output at lower loads. Also the LED light flicker has resolved since the AC inverter repair.
4. The original wall charger has had an issue with blowing fuses regularly. This is being replaced under warranty at this time.
5. There are no smart features for remote monitoring or limiting battery discharge. The Titan 2.0 seems to solve a lot of the "smart" feature wants for my use case scenario but the extremely slow rollout of the Titan 2.0 has kept us from pulling the trigger on a new unit. We have just decided to expand our current battery capacity to 4x of the 2000w batteries which should give us more than adequate battery capacity to not have to worry about setting discharge limits.
6. If the batteries do discharge to 0% and the inverter shuts off the system has to be manually reset and the batteries must be recharged either with the wall charger or 12V solar panels which is very hard for me to explain the process to guests of the cabin.
7. Obviously this is a relatively expensive solution but it's so robust and effective the value for us is in the support and out of the box functionality!
8. Lead time from purchase to delivery was very long partially because of COVID and supply chain issues and also they are a smaller company but for us the wait was worth it.

Overall I can recommend the Titan solar generator 100% for anyone interested in a very effective all in one unit which has provided excellent customer support for me when needed. If you can wait for a few months post purchase I do not think you will be disappointed.

02CFC6A8-6FB6-4CCD-92F3-47DA015855F7.jpeg

Here is a link to my show and tell thread which I detail our remote fishing cabin solar application: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/fishing-cabin-solar-install-1-0-titan-solar-generator.12366/

I’m seriously looking at the Titan with 2 batteries (4000wh). With all the NEW solar generators out from Bluetti AC300 and Eccoflow Delta Pro am I looking in the right direction with the Titan purchase or should I go with the newer tech considering the enhancement in battery life of the newer systems. If you had the option today would you still chose the Titan over the AC300, or Delta Pro?
Im really interested in the opinion of a long term owner such as yourself.
Great review, not sure of your review date.
Thank you so much!

I’m seriously looking at the Titan with 2 batteries (4000wh). With all the NEW solar generators out from Bluetti AC300 and Eccoflow Delta Pro am I looking in the right direction with the Titan purchase or should I go with the newer tech considering the enhancement in battery life of the newer systems. If you had the option today would you still chose the Titan over the AC300, or Delta Pro?
Thank you so much!
I'm not the OP but I too own a titan with just one battery.
I bought the unit used for 2000.00 dollars last year from a guy that only had it for 2 months before he wanted to upgrade, at that time the Titan new was 3000.00 so I figured I would give it a shot.
After a year of I would say average use, not daily but when ever the sun was out I would shift all my primary loads to the Titan (well ,fridge, freezer, TV, and most every outlet in the house via a sub panel transfer switch in the garage)
And it has worked flawlessly for over a year.
Even with just 1 battery it will start my well no problem ( it's my heaviest load and on start up exceeds the 1500 watt maximum but just momentarily) besides the well I have never really seen loads over 1000 watts but for a couple of times.
I like everything about the Titan so far except the battery chemistry and the price of a 2nd battery, 1400.00 is too much for something that can really only be used with the Titan and if something went wrong with the upper unit or you moved on to something else all the batteries are useless . When I bought the unit my plan was to just buy a non proprietary battery and use the expansion battery port on the Titan but the Titan uses NMC chemistry which charges to 29.2 and I have seen it charge to 29.4 before which I consider to high for LiFePo4, if you could set a charge limit on the Titan it would be great but you can't and no one sells a drop in NMC battery any more ( Big Battery lists one that would be perfect but it is always out of stock and they say they aren't going to make any more)
All that being said it is a great unit but they now cost 3400.00 and if you want another battery add 1400.00 more now your talking 4800.00 when you can get a delta pro at Costco with 3600 watt hours, LiFePo4 instead of NMC and a 3600 watt inverter that can handle 4200 watts continually by dropping voltage slightly at Costco for 2850.00 add extra batteries for 2700.00 each one is 3600 watt hours that's 5550.00 for 7200 watt hours or if you spend 8250.00 for 2 extra batteries for 10,800 watt hours and if you have the ability to expand to 220 volts plus you would be doubling the watt hours but at the same time doubling the cost . But options are there at least.
I like my Titan but I now think there's better options out there.
Costco's sale ends at the end of February but I'm pretty sure it will be back because this is the second time I have seen it on sale this year.
My 2 cents
Ed

Last edited:
Ask them for system Mean Time Between Failure data. I'd be surprised if they answer but their quality control people know this number.

Ask them for system Mean Time Between Failure data. I'd be surprised if they answer but their quality control people know this number.
If you're EVER not satisfied with a product purchased from Costco just return it for a full refund.
I just returned 4 Lion energy batteries I purchased 2 years ago for a full 3000.00 dollar refund because they would not work with my Titan. Costco is awesome even if ecoflo is not and they will take care of you better than ANY of these companies.

If you're EVER not satisfied with a product purchased from Costco just return it for a full refund.
I just returned 4 Lion energy batteries I purchased 2 years ago for a full 3000.00 dollar refund because they would not work with my Titan. Costco is awesome even if ecoflo is not and they will take care of you better than ANY of these companies.
I'm surprised some companies honor warranties.
Is the initial price higher, to compensate?
Maybe they sell reman/refurb stuff as new?

$3000 promised two years from now @ 7% interest is worth $2600 today.

But, The HD takes returns, no questions asked, and they're not out of business yet. . .?

I'm surprised some companies honor warranties.
Is the initial price higher, to compensate?
Maybe they sell reman/refurb stuff as new?

$3000 promised two years from now @ 7% interest is worth $2600 today.

But, The HD takes returns, no questions asked, and they're not out of business yet. . .?
The batteries where cheaper than I could get them from the manufacturer 699.00 each x4 2800.00 plus tax it was just over 3000.00 delivered to my door thru Costco. Com.
They were new not reman/referb
Costco is able to get good deals thru manufacturers by bulk purchase power .
Costco charges a membership fee ,I forget how much but it's like 70.00 a year, soo worth it when they backup stuff the way they do and THATS why they stay in business.

Thank you so much!

The Titan has honestly just done everything we have asked of it with great dependability for so long it is hard to look past at the new stuff on the market. When we purchased the Titan nothing compared as far as an all in one unit for capacity as well as the AC inverter output. Now obviously it has some very excellent competition. The Titan still has a very nice compact vertical footprint which works well for our space limitations. I do wish the Titan had more of the new tech with regards to battery technology as well as wifi, bluetooth, discharge limitation, etc.

I would definitely purchase the Titan again given the known performance we have experienced, the 2000w solar input capacity, the 3000w inverter that just sips battery in standby mode and the customer support we have received has been absolutely phenomenal! If I had to chose an alternative option I would definitely go with the AC300. I love the tech and it really does everything the Titan does. I just know I have gotten everything out of the Titan and sometimes less is more when it comes to extra tech but the AC300 has me seriously intrigued.

The Titan has honestly just done everything we have asked of it with great dependability for so long it is hard to look past at the new stuff on the market. When we purchased the Titan nothing compared as far as an all in one unit for capacity as well as the AC inverter output. Now obviously it has some very excellent competition. The Titan still has a very nice compact vertical footprint which works well for our space limitations. I do wish the Titan had more of the new tech with regards to battery technology as well as wifi, bluetooth, discharge limitation, etc.

I would definitely purchase the Titan again given the known performance we have experienced, the 2000w solar input capacity, the 3000w inverter that just sips battery in standby mode and the customer support we have received has been absolutely phenomenal! If I had to chose an alternative option I would definitely go with the AC300. I love the tech and it really does everything the Titan does. I just know I have gotten everything out of the Titan and sometimes less is more when it comes to extra tech but the AC300 has me seriously intrigued.
So, if your choice was today Titan, AC300, or Delta Pro? Tough decision...for me anyway!

Last edited:
So, if your choice was today Titan, AC300, or Delta Pro? Tough decision...for me anyway!

Titan Solar Generator with 4 expansion batteries: $7466.30 if paying with e-check.
-8000Wh battery capacity (this has been tested and appears very accurate regarding capacity if not undervalued based off real world testing)
-3000w continuous 6000w max AC inverter output (also verified y real world testing)
-15w/hr inverter standby power usage
-2000w solar charging capacity
-relatively small footprint with vertical stacking batteries with no cables or wires to link batteries to head unit

AC300 + three B300 expansion batteries: $7896.32 if purchased in 3 seperate purchases using the available discount codes (includes taxes for Texas)
-9216Wh total battery capacity (not sure what the real world measured capacity is)
-3000w continuous 6000w max AC inverter output
-unsure of standby inverter power usage
-2400w solar charging capacity and AC charger is built into the unit!!
-can stack but does require extra cables and space

Assuming the AC300 ends up having good quality control then I would definitely go with the AC300 from a specifications standpoint. It just makes sense given the technical aspects. Having said that, I am super excited about the Titan 2.0 but I wonder how long it is going to take before it is available...The Titan is just a super robust no frills machine and it has amazing customer service backing it up.

For our specific use case scenario I would still go with the Titan because of the stackable batteries, no extra wires and extremely well established customer support. We like it so much we invested in 2 more batteries to give us the capacity we need to make our cabin mostly solar powered.

Last edited:
The spread of info on the Web probably increases the number of warranties honored. Everybody talks to everybody.

If a company doesn't honor a warranty, pretty soon everybody knows about it & so they're pressured to honor the warranty.

But some companies choose to sue anyone who badmouths them, regardless of the truth.

Has anyone found a device that can be attached to the Titan to monitor solar input both live and daily. Was hoping to find something that would connect via bluetooth to a smartphone app???

Has anyone found a device that can be attached to the Titan to monitor solar input both live and daily. Was hoping to find something that would connect via bluetooth to a smartphone app???

Only thing we found to solve our remote monitoring need has been to use an extra Arlo camera connected to our network at our cabin for visual monitoring real time. 7706A327-D5A2-483F-A277-EFAA2D4880FF.jpeg

I want to upgrade from our AC200P (which is solid, just too small). Been looking at an AC200Max or AC300 but read of enough "issues" that I am leery. Delta Pro looks good, but is one heavy unit. But I don't think any of these comes close to what you listed above for overhead usage - which is huge if you run the unit all the time.

Will Titan 2.0 have LifePo4 batteries? What's the battery life on the Titan?

Efficiency and quality/dependability are way more important than bells and whistles on a unit to me. Starting to lean back towards a Titan - I think only battery type gives the edge to the others right now for me. Any thoughts appreciated!

I want to upgrade from our AC200P (which is solid, just too small). Been looking at an AC200Max or AC300 but read of enough "issues" that I am leery. Delta Pro looks good, but is one heavy unit. But I don't think any of these comes close to what you listed above for overhead usage - which is huge if you run the unit all the time.

Will Titan 2.0 have LifePo4 batteries? What's the battery life on the Titan?

Efficiency and quality/dependability are way more important than bells and whistles on a unit to me. Starting to lean back towards a Titan - I think only battery type gives the edge to the others right now for me. Any thoughts appreciated!
You are exactly where I am in my purchase. One minute I’m thinking AC300 and then Titan. My main concern as yours is the long term battery life (not bells and whistles). From what I understand Titan 2.0 will have the LifePo4 batteries, however the Titan 2.0 has been rumored for nearly a year now. So who knows the future of that? The current Titan 1.0 battery life is 2,000 cycles or 10 years if I’m not mistaken.

You are exactly where I am in my purchase. One minute I’m thinking AC300 and then Titan. My main concern as yours is the long term battery life (not bells and whistles). From what I understand Titan 2.0 will have the LifePo4 batteries, however the Titan 2.0 has been rumored for nearly a year now. So who knows the future of that? The current Titan 1.0 battery life is 2,000 cycles or 10 years if I’m not mistaken.
Battery life is 2000 cycles but not sure exactly when the degradation begins. I do know that the Titan batteries are underrated regarding capacity. The discharge capacity is closer to 2100-2200w capacity per battery. I think Point Zero figured that into the 10 years. I think in 10-15 years the new tech is gonna so significantly outperform anything on the market is not even going to be a factor in long term decisions for most people.

For us, the Titan is an absolute beast with regards to performance, output and customer service! I will gladly recommend them to anyone. My understanding is the Titan 2.0 is gonna be amazing with regards to the bells and whistles regarding new tech but it’s still prototype and not sure if it will make it to market anytime soon. If and when it does we will strongly consider an upgrade!

Thanks for the detailed update; I usually only see excited new owner reviews but wonder how things turned out down the road. Glad you're happy with it!

Back