diy solar

diy solar

Titan Solar Generator 1.5 year update and review

Awesome setup. What all are you planning to do with it? Cabin, home backup, etc? If you have questions let me know and I’ll be happy to help along the way.
Thank you! I will be in contact. Point Zero Energy said shipping in April 2022. So glad I ordered before shipping goes ? through the roof.

Last edited:
Went out to the cabin and added the two additional expansion batteries. Didn't have time to really clean all the wiring up how I want it and need to lower the shelf but overall happy with the expansion.

1647058022158.jpeg

1647058129157.jpeg

Went out to the cabin and added the two additional expansion batteries. Didn't have time to really clean all the wiring up how I want it and need to lower the shelf but overall happy with the expansion.

View attachment 86989

View attachment 86990
Nice tower!

A few questions:
1. Is that wall charger 14A or 25A? If 25A what is the wattage output to the Titan.
2. How long did it take to get the 2 extra batteries?
3. Have you considered a LiFePo4 battery to connect to the expansion port?
4. How did you balance your 2 new batteries?

Thank you!

Nice tower!

A few questions:
1. Is that wall charger 14A or 25A? If 25A what is the wattage output to the Titan.
2. How long did it take to get the 2 extra batteries?
3. Have you considered a LiFePo4 battery to connect to the expansion port?
4. How did you balance your 2 new batteries?

Thank you!

1. I actually don't know but I’ll check it out next time we are out there and update you
2. Less than 2 weeks from order to delivery
3. Yes I’m looking into similar options similar to what Will Prowse did on his YouTube channel
4. You have to go through the balancing process with each individual battery for the updated capacity. I initially did the two original batteries at the same time since they are already balanced but no dice. Each one separately as per the manual and it worked perfectly after that!

1. I actually don't know but I’ll check it out next time we are out there and update you
2. Less than 2 weeks from order to delivery
3. Yes I’m looking into similar options similar to what Will Prowse did on his YouTube channel
4. You have to go through the balancing process with each individual battery for the updated capacity. I initially did the two original batteries at the same time since they are already balanced but no dice. Each one separately as per the manual and it worked perfectly after that!
I finally received my Titan with 3 batteries AND 25a charger the end of April 2022. Not to bad of a wait, ordered March 7, 2022.

I just ordered another battery for a total of 4. This thing is an absolute BEAST, so glad I made the decision to invest in this unit. I’ve got 1,800 watts of solar connected and plan to add another 600 watts of solar and another battery for a total of 5 batteries, and then I will be done for a good while.

My plan is to not use more than 50% capacity of the batteries daily so I can get at least 7-8 years of use (we will see). I’m wanting to get a LiFePO4 battery instead of the 5th Titan battery but not sure which one to buy…..ANY RECOMMENDATIONS????

You’ve got to check out this thread on using LiFePo4 batteries with Titan.

View attachment 86989

View attachment 86990
When at 100% capacity does your volt go to 29.2, I noticed yours at 28.9? Sometimes mine will be at 100% and 29.2 volts and also 28.9 Volts. Just curious that maybe the Titan should be calibrate….just sure ?.

Here’s a heads up for a mistake I made out of ignorance. I had a Titan with 3 of their batteries. At a later date, I purchased one, then a second BigBattery 6,000 kw battery. As I ran multi day tests, I found that one of the BigBattery batteries would not maintain the 29 volt requirement for syncing purposes that is required by the Titan system. It would charge to 29.1 volts, but when disconnected from the charger, it would end up in a ‘rest’ voltage of 27+ volts. Of course there are always ‘small print’ exceptions to most things, and BigBatteries’ small print said that their batteries are considered fully charged at a voltage that is 27 - 28 volts. So, that battery (24V HSKY) can’t be used with the Titan. I’m looking at alternative uses so I don’t have such an expensive paper weight—ha. Like said above, the Titan seems to handle most of my residential home load so as to make a grid out occurrence seem not so bad.

Here’s a heads up for a mistake I made out of ignorance. I had a Titan with 3 of their batteries. At a later date, I purchased one, then a second BigBattery 6,000 kw battery. As I ran multi day tests, I found that one of the BigBattery batteries would not maintain the 29 volt requirement for syncing purposes that is required by the Titan system. It would charge to 29.1 volts, but when disconnected from the charger, it would end up in a ‘rest’ voltage of 27+ volts. Of course there are always ‘small print’ exceptions to most things, and BigBatteries’ small print said that their batteries are considered fully charged at a voltage that is 27 - 28 volts. So, that battery (24V HSKY) can’t be used with the Titan. I’m looking at alternative uses so I don’t have such an expensive paper weight—ha. Like said above, the Titan seems to handle most of my residential home load so as to make a grid out occurrence seem not so bad.
Do you leave the big battery hooked up to the Titan while it is resting? The Titan battery voltage should drop with the big battery to stay in sync within the .5 volts as required by the Titan.
Then when the sun comes up they will charge up to 29.2 together and when the sun goes down they both drop voltage together because they are in parallel.

After initially charging all the batteries separately (the three Titans and the two HSKY’s), I hooked it altogether and then put the charge on the whole system. I then started the test, and within 7 or 8 hours, the Titan shut down. So then Point Zero asked that I do the same charging effort and recheck each battery after a ‘rest’ and not under charge. That’s when I discovered the one HSKY battery‘s voltage would reduce below its ability to sync, within 10 or so minutes.

After initially charging all the batteries separately (the three Titans and the two HSKY’s), I hooked it altogether and then put the charge on the whole system. I then started the test, and within 7 or 8 hours, the Titan shut down. So then Point Zero asked that I do the same charging effort and recheck each battery after a ‘rest’ and not under charge. That’s when I discovered the one HSKY battery‘s voltage would reduce below its ability to sync, within 10 or so minutes.
I would charge the big battery and let it settle, then turn on the Titan at 29.2 and put a load on it till the titan battery is at the same voltage as the big battery then let the Titan battery settle a bit with no solar input and if the voltage stays within the .5 volt tolerance of the big battery then you can connect them thru the expansion port and charge them to 29.2 and because the big battery is hooked up in parallel with the Titan as the big battery settles to its resting voltage the Titans battery will draw down too and in the morning they should be within the .5 volts of each other.

A quick question: To ensure the correct amp hours input to the Titan, would that be a “pre-input” before adding the lower voltage battery or would I wait and increase the amp hours when I hook up the battery? Thanks.

A quick question: To ensure the correct amp hours input to the Titan, would that be a “pre-input” before adding the lower voltage battery or would I wait and increase the amp hours when I hook up the battery? Thanks.
I think it would be total capacity AH of the 2 different power sources.
If the Titan is 74 AH and the expansion battery is 400 AH total would be 474 AH.
When the Titan charges after the initial setup after a few cycles of topping off the 474 AH will be accurate.

View attachment 86989

View attachment 86990
Hello,

Just checking how your Titan is holding up. I ended up getting the Titan back in June 2022 and the other day it FAILED. A pop and smell of burning. I sent it back to PZE and they repaired it. Should be shipping back to me in a day or two. They said that the inverter failed and also something else failed. I had notice that the fans were not turning on as often as they did in the past when the Titan failed as I was standing looking at it. It started beeping 4 beeps over and over and then stoped and a pop, flash and a burning smell.
I too have 4 batteries and have a lot of money invested in this thing and now Im really concerned that I made the wrong purchase.

Please let me know how your Titan has been operating....Thank you

Hello,

Just checking how your Titan is holding up. I ended up getting the Titan back in June 2022 and the other day it FAILED. A pop and smell of burning. I sent it back to PZE and they repaired it. Should be shipping back to me in a day or two. They said that the inverter failed and also something else failed. I had notice that the fans were not turning on as often as they did in the past when the Titan failed as I was standing looking at it. It started beeping 4 beeps over and over and then stoped and a pop, flash and a burning smell.
I too have 4 batteries and have a lot of money invested in this thing and now Im really concerned that I made the wrong purchase.

Please let me know how your Titan has been operating....Thank you
I'm wondering the same thing. My Titan did the same thing. It's in a separate building so I didn't hear anything but the power failed and when I went to check I could smell the smoke and the inverter was dead. I've read about quite a few of these cases and it gives me some concern. The unit has only run for less than a year, and I've never drawn more than about 1700 watts total. Did you get your inverter replaced? I'm about to send mine in but would love to hear anything you learned.

That is exactly my set up. But after nine months the inverter blew. How is your system working?
Sorry to hear about your failure, it now does seem like I've read about a lot of failures of the inverter. I actually thought high quality parts was the strong point of the Titan. Hopefully they've rectified this problem.

Actually just receive my Titan back today from being repaired. Total turn around was one day shy of 2 weeks. I've reconnected the Titan up to the 4 batteries and all seams to be working just as normal. I was told that the inverter and some sort of input controller was replaced.
I was also told (assured) that this would not happen again (another manufacture or better parts???). I tried to press as if new(er) parts were installed and was told no, but the parts that were replaced were new.
I think playing nice with them will go far and because they seem to be a family type of operation that they will do the right thing in the long run...yet very concerned that I spent a lot of money on the Titan and 4 batteries for long term dependability and safety. I've only had my Titan for 14 months and expected it to last longer that 1-2 years.

Please keep in touch, so we can exchange notes.

Back