diy solar

diy solar

To all who are thinking of a doing a group buy:

Alkaline

Solar Wizard

Group Buys are a colossal blunder.

Yes this is true, you are doubling the odds against you 2x.

First is the chance you get bad cells from the vendor, but in the group buy case you could end up getting bad cells form various vendors.

Then if something goes bad you have to go to the guy/gal that organized this and they will be like what the heck don't blame me.

Why do all these trying to save $1-$2 over cells!

Last edited:
I get your point that the current group buy is a colossal mess. However my experience was quite different. My cells were on apus and that ship took a year to get here. If I had ordered direct from China I would have had to wait a year to get my cells. After several months Michael sent me some cells and lieu of the ones that were stuck in Japan. It's really unfortunate what's going on with all these bad deliveries.

I would like to know how much is saved on these group buys.

The price difference on alibaba for bulk purchases makes me think that only $1 or $2 per cell is saved. I’m assuming other fees remain, Perhaps you save a bunch on shipping, which was 20% of my purchase Of 16 cells.

If you did get a group buy what do you think you saved?

I have been part of several group buys. one through this forum many from other locations. They allow people to band to together to get better pricing and save on costs, often associated with shipping many small orders vs one large "truck" or "pallet" order.

Having been part of several in the past they have been in person pickup. Payment is usually a half up front half on pickup. This avoids shipping issues and you "know were the guy lives" when something goes sideways.

For this forum i think i saved several hundred dollars (10-20%) and was trusted that the orginzer was dealing with more trust worthy vendors over just seeming random "chance" I would have on alibaba. Mine worked out, many did, Others did not.

To be fair, the quality control of Chinese products can be very sketchy.
I see one electronic item after another on Amazon that have high review ratings but the Latest ones say, 'these used to be good but now they're junk'.
I've experienced that myself even buying from same vendor repeatedly.
I don't understand what Will means by 'affiliate links' like, when I'm trying to be helpful with a poster, can I post Amazon link?

when I'm trying to be helpful with a poster, can I post Amazon link?
There are 2 kinds of links. "hey this product is what I used. (link to amazon here)" <--- kind is ok

The second is "hey this is a great product (link to product here, and if someone buys this product from this link, the website sends me a kickback in the form of money)

The second is called an affiliate link and are the type that Will has ban'd. (he does not intend this platform to be used to shill products)

There are 2 kinds of links. "hey this product is what I used. (link to amazon here)" <--- kind is ok

The second is "hey this is a great product (link to product here, and if someone buys this product from this link, the website sends me a kickback in the form of money)

The second is called an affiliate link and are the type that Will has ban'd. (he does not intend this platform to be used to shill products)
Okay thanks for the clarification - I don't wanna get in trubble

There is another reason for organizing group buys than saving a few dollars: The new BYD blade cell has a really nasty form factor when it comes to packaging, shipping and delivery. If people were able to organize pallet box purchases of these blade cells to an easily accessible location, a lot of issues could be avoided.

Group buying is not recommended, here.
Too many people have been burned.
If you must.......
Make sure that you know and trust everyone involved.

As I said previously. If your putting down a deposit and picking up in person and at the same time handing over the rest of the funds, group buy is a great option.

My one and only group buy here was an excellent training experience on how to piss away $865. LOL....sigh..... I'll be sticking with the battery hookem-up folks from here on out.

Group Buys are a colossal blunder.

Yes this is true, you are doubling the odds against you 2x.

First is the chance you get bad cells from the vendor, but in the group buy case you could end up getting bad cells form various vendors.

Then if something goes bad you have to go to the guy/gal that organized this and they will be like what the heck don't blame me.

They are a blunder because there is no platform to handle all the BS.

I have done one and only one group buy using the above group buy. For me it worked out well but
apparently I was one of the last.

Sad that Will has had to clamp down because I fear a side effect will be a bit less vitality on the forum.
OTOH it was starting to get a little "noisy".

I am still slightly confused on the affiliate link issue. If your not an affiliate but post a link to something that
goes through some affiliate (like something you bought or are asking about) is that ok?

I think it is since your not part of the affiliate.

I am still slightly confused on the affiliate link issue. If your not an affiliate but post a link to something that
goes through some affiliate (like something you bought or are asking about) is that ok?

I think it is since your not part of the affiliate.
That's my understanding, also.

Back