diy solar

diy solar

To Bi-Facial or not Bi-Facial

Bifacials definitely perform significantly better. I have a ground mount array with 4 rows of panels, arranged in 2 strings going to two muppet’s in my Sol Ark. The bifacial strings are consistently 15 percent more productive, especially under cloudy skies.

More north you are the better bi-facials work due to angle of the sun also. A flat to almost flat bi-facial panel isn't getting the reflecting light from the backside as much.
Got bi-facials myself and won't go back.

More panels, more racking + possibly more micros or RSD/Optimizers.
Thank you all for your comments, I am in northern Mexico close to south texas, The system I am planning on getting is the combo that Signature Solar Off grid 13KW with 2 EG4's and I am substituting the Bi-facial Panels.

What Optimizers would I be able to use? I talked to SolarEdge and they told me that they would not work. Can I use these RSD/Optimizers?

Thanks in advance,

What Optimizers would I be able to use? I talked to SolarEdge and they told me that they would not work. Can I use these RSD/Optimizers?

Thanks in advance,
Solar Edge optimizers only work with Solar Edge inverters. They are not compatible with any other inverter.

Unless you have shading issue, I'd skip the optimizers/RSD entirely for a ground mount. It's just wasted money unless needed.

RSD is required in the US when mounted on a structure (house) but not required for a ground mount.

Also, there's no link in your post to the optimizers/RSD you're asking about.

Thank you all for your comments, I am in northern Mexico close to south texas, The system I am planning on getting is the combo that Signature Solar Off grid 13KW with 2 EG4's and I am substituting the Bi-facial Panels.

Thanks in advance,
Do you have shadows? Like trees or buildings or an uninterrupted exposure to sunshine?

Do you have shadows? Like trees or buildings or an uninterrupted exposure to sunshine?
Thanks again, and No this will be a ground mount system with no shade.
Thank you 400bird, thanks for the explanation, I thought it would be helpful, but now I can put 2 and 2 together and see that when shade is an issue, optimizers help by making some power vs no power.

I am a bit dyslexic....
Every time I see bi-facials, I see bi-fecials.
I simply cannot stop laughing.
Sorry, but it IS really funny. The Muppet thing did not help with that either.

I am a bit dyslexic....

bi-fecials -bi-fecials - bi-fecials - bi-fecials
Maybe this will help.

LOL

I am a bit dyslexic....
I see bi-racial. Must be a blue state thing..

Hello everyone,
My question is the following: I there a benefit in Using Bi-Facial solar panels in a hot sunny climate? I am located in northern mexico / south texas. I was all set with getting 36 of these from Signatur Solar
Then I watched one of Will's videos and he mentioned that Bi-Facial panels don't work well if they get too hot. Would I be better off with these https://signaturesolar.com/solarever-455w-split-cell-mono-perc-solar-panel-silver-full-pallet-31/ ?

I was planning on using 3 EG4 inverters. Four, 7-panel strings for 2 EG4's for the house and two 4 panel strings and 1 EG4 for a smaller system to run stuff in a barn. That is a total of 36 panels. I will have 6 server rack batteries. 5 batteries for the house and 1 for the barn.

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated,

Oscar
I have 103 ground mounted bi-facial panels and they did not have any issues when we hit upper 90's this summer.

I have 103 ground mounted bi-facial panels and they did not have any issues when we hit upper 90's this summer.
Wow, 103 panels, that is awesome. Thanks for the info, makes me feel better. Do you have an off grid or grid tied system?

Wow, 103 panels, that is awesome. Thanks for the info, makes me feel better. Do you have an off grid or grid tied system?
My system is off grid, they do great, melt snow very quickly and still made around 40 amps covered in snow.

My system is off grid, they do great, melt snow very quickly and still made around 40 amps covered in snow.
Ditto, my bifacials do well even covered with the freezing rain we got last week, and a day of good sun they melt and everything slides off...not that this means much to the OP in Mexico I suspect!
Ground mounted, well above ground or structures behind them, bifacials are likely a good option. OP noted these were the same price as non-bifacials, don't see a down side.

Ditto, my bifacials do well even covered with the freezing rain we got last week, and a day of good sun they melt and everything slides off...not that this means much to the OP in Mexico I suspect!
Ground mounted, well above ground or structures behind them, bifacials are likely a good option. OP noted these were the same price as non-bifacials, don't see a down side.
Great, Thank you for the info. I decided to go with 40 Panels to max out 2 EG4's with 16 panels each and a 3rd EG4 with 8 panels. I just hope they all come in undamaged.
1 more question: Not sure if I should start a new thread or continue this one.

What is the most cost-effective way to securely ground mount these panels? I was thinking of a 4 x 10 panels in landscape. That would be about 70' wide by 13'. I saw these on Signature Solar https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-brightmount-solar-panel-ground-mount-rack-kit/

Is there a more cost efficient option than 10 of these?

Thanks again

What is the most cost-effective way to securely ground mount these panels? I was thinking of a 4 x 10 panels in landscape. That would be about 70' wide by 13'. I saw these on Signature Solar https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-brightmount-solar-panel-ground-mount-rack-kit/
Is there a more cost efficient option than 10 of these?
I sure haven't seen one but that looks awfully close to the ground which in the long term is likely to cause you some trouble.

Have you seen the Sinclair racking? That's more money but much higher off the ground.

Back