diy solar

diy solar

to crimp or not to crimp

That type fitting is used in most all stationary electrical panels. But I have never seen one used in any automotive, boat, or RV... as in mobile application. And I am a motor head, Jeep, muscle car, boat, RV, DIY guy.

So anytime I see something that has never been done before, I ask myself... is that because it is such genius no else ever thought of it? Or is it a dumb idea, no one else would try?

If I was asking myself that question, on using screw lugs in a mobile application, I would say to myself... self, that probably falls on the dumb idea side.

But many folks frown upon those that talk to themselves. :oops: :LOL:
Only weirdos frown on other people who talk to themselves... ??

That type fitting is used in most all stationary electrical panels. But I have never seen one used in any automotive, boat, or RV... as in mobile application. And I am a motor head, Jeep, muscle car, boat, RV, DIY guy.

So anytime I see something that has never been done before, I ask myself... is that because it is such genius no else ever thought of it? Or is it a dumb idea, no one else would try?

If I was asking myself that question, on using screw lugs in a mobile application, I would say to myself... self, that probably falls on the dumb idea side.

But many folks frown upon those that talk to themselves. :oops: :LOL:
lol, that seems a bit extreme... the fact that you say things to yourself dont bother me, the fact that you answer yourself is another story all together! ive had several sports cars since the 90's always driving like a teen in a sports car with extensive stereo systems using these very type of connectors connecting capacitors/system batteries etc... feeding 3 4 sometimes 5 amps bordering Ludacris power and i cant remember even one time something failing or even loosening up! not as good is one thing but dumb idea? lol if you and yourself say so! thanks for the input!

Solder solder solder its fun its easy and if you use a big propane torch the colors in the flames are very pretty. Your crimps can be sloppy as heck. You can also solder those mechanical terminals. Why solder? It eliminates the possibility of corrosion between the terminal and wire. And done properly never comes apart.
Just dont use that lead free junk.

Good stuff on lugs. Welding suppliers have good experience with heavy DC current. Even good lugs at 250-300 amps will heat a cable termination up to the point that it will melt solder when doing steady high amp and high duty cycle. Most electrode holders are setscrew type and a while get too hot to hang onto with a 2/0 whip off a 3/0 cable.
Crimping does not melt. So welders supply would be my choice of where to look at terminals.

Good stuff on lugs. Welding suppliers have good experience with heavy DC current. Even good lugs at 250-300 amps will heat a cable termination up to the point that it will melt solder when doing steady high amp and high duty cycle. Most electrode holders are setscrew type and a while get too hot to hang onto with a 2/0 whip off a 3/0 cable.
Crimping does not melt. So welders supply would be my choice of where to look at terminals.
Okay so youre saying that because welding can heat up cables enough to melt solder, it shouldnt be used for solar battery storage.
Anyone using their solar systems for welding may find that helpful.
The rest of us, well here is what Trojan Battery says about it.
which states

"It is therefore highly recommended
that connectors not only be mechanically crimped
but also soldered to the cable’s end."

Go to the pdf and look at the infrared images. I will add if your battery terminals hit 370 degrees f, youve got bigger problems than melting solder.

The welding operations you speak of arent running that current through batteries.

Last edited:
Hang on a minute while I put on my hip waders before I tread into this swamp...

Go to the pdf and look at the infrared images. I will add if your battery terminals hit 370 degrees f, youve got bigger problems than melting solder.

The welding operations you speak of arent running that current through batteries.

Both true statements.

Where I slightly disagree with you is with this statement:
It eliminates the possibility of corrosion between the terminal and wire. And done properly never comes apart.

A properly crimped connection, using a closed end lug, with heat shrink tubing (with adhesive), will also prevent corrosion. A solid cold weld joint isn't coming apart.

There are numerous posts here on the forum and out there on the Internet that suggest that soldering terminal ends in mobile environments, or those environments where vibration is possible, are not acceptable.

Hang on a minute while I put on my hip waders before I tread into this swamp...

Both true statements.

Where I slightly disagree with you is with this statement:

A properly crimped connection, using a closed end lug, with heat shrink tubing (with adhesive), will also prevent corrosion. A solid cold weld joint isn't coming apart.

There are numerous posts here on the forum and out there on the Internet that suggest that soldering terminal ends in mobile environments, or those environments where vibration is possible, are not acceptable.
From what I understand the concerns involve a loss of flexibility in the cable which can be avoided by preventing solder creep up the cable.
As a US Navy avionics tech in an active deployed fighter squadron, (AQ3, FITRON twenty one, fire control shop, CV-43 1979-83) my pre fleet training(VF-171 FRAMP, NAS Oceana) involved compact wire bundle repair school which included a week of soldering certifications. Every connector in every plug on an F-4 Phantom is soldered, as was every repair I did on them. After leaving the service I did 12volt installs for hobby and a living for decades and still do, and had IASCA and USAC (autosound competition) installation judging credentials.
The idea that soldering is "unacceptable" is not one I have heard but maybe NASA didnt get that email.
I wont deny its a debated subject, but those against it usually dont know how. Or from the manufacturers end they dont like the additional cost or employee health risk from lead.
As I said I speak from experience its good enough for all military aircraft, thats enough for me.
(all the acronym gibberish is what veterans offer each other to out pretenders)
But thanks for the reply. Youre not entirely wrong, there are plenty of applications across many industries where crimp only is the norm. Once soldering is second nature theres no reason not to if you want foolproof.

I will add that a lot of the internet discussions probably are motivated by how intimidating the process appears. Frequently the task involves replacing the terminal at the battery that goes to the starter, you dont have a lot of slack to work with. If I was offering a method that did NOT involve a large propane torch less than a foot from a lead acid battery gassing hydrogen, it would be easy for you to agree with me that this risky way was not the way to go.

I'll admit that I'm a bit biased on the subject. My soldering skills absolutely SUCK. When it comes to plumbing, I'll take a Shark Bite fitting any day over soldering a joint. Consequently, with wiring, if I don't have to solder, that's great!

Like anything on the Internet, it's easy to find any number of sites/pages that back up your bias. I think NASA was one of those sites that I went off of.

I’ve been soldering for 50 years but as stated earlier in solar applications I’ve gone to crimping and will never go back.

Cold welding and full flexibility can’t be beat. I can hang my body weight off a good crimp on large enough wire no problem.

I still get to melt some solder in radio applications though ?.

A very good article on crimp connectors, including some opinion why not to solder. Written by an expert on the subject as it pertains to the marine industry.

I'll admit that I'm a bit biased on the subject. My soldering skills absolutely SUCK. When it comes to plumbing, I'll take a Shark Bite fitting any day over soldering a joint. Consequently, with wiring, if I don't have to solder, that's great!

Like anything on the Internet, it's easy to find any number of sites/pages that back up your bias. I think NASA was one of those sites that I went off of.
It's not widely known but NASA will accept from its contractors a plain old western union splice.
Which done properly takes more time than it does for me to plug in an iron and wait for it to warm up... but you cant pull it apart.
In the early 80s the gubmint decided all of us techs were best served with these new isotip battery soldering irons. Hot off the charger they would join 20 awg conductors like once, then the ni cad batteries faded quick.
So at least on the flight line at miramar, we used bic lighters to get the job done. (On deck on the ship youd be in a world of hurt with a lighter- see USS Forrestal disaster)

A very good article on crimp connectors, including some opinion why not to solder. Written by an expert on the subject as it pertains to the marine industry.

Interesting, thanks for that.
Couple of takeaways, conceding I'm finding what I can to stubbornly support my position.
Hes an expert alright, noting he has $7800 in tools on the wall and probably charges his customers $10 a piece for the fancy specialized terminals they fit.
That kind of hardware does crimp beautifully, but I doubt anyone here uses that or has access to tools like that.
I have the $30 hammer crimper for ~1/0, a $60 ratcheting crimper for 2awg-10awg, and a couple of klein and g&b staking crimpers. None of that makes a crimp like he is doing, nor am I using the high dollat terminals he uses.
Go back in the thread and see the image of a pair of ring terminals.
The expert certainly isnt using these.
Finally I saw him mention what i did earlier about the loss of flexibility when soldering. Hes right, but its avoidable though Ive never seen that be an issue if the cable is properly routed and secured. Its weird that he rested on a guideline from AMP.
Im pretty sure AMPs bigger connectors (like 28+ pins) like canon and other mfrs has a strain relief clamp way up the conductors.
And takes a several hundred dollar tool to crimp its exhorbitantly priced terminals.
Not what Ill be working with here, but thanks for the reality check that theres a whole nother world out there.

Hopefully we can agree to disagree after 34 posts ?.

However, if anyone wants to read another 81 posts on the subject see here:

Yeah, we're pretty much rehashing that thread.

Nope, we're not insane. I'm pretty sure that even with the same inputs we'll have a different result in this thread. :)

Okay so youre saying that because welding can heat up cables enough to melt solder, it shouldnt be used for solar battery storage.
Anyone using their solar systems for welding may find that helpful.
The rest of us, well here is what Trojan Battery says about it.
which states

"It is therefore highly recommended
that connectors not only be mechanically crimped
but also soldered to the cable’s end."

I think you took it wrong. No battery will ever stand the abuse a welder can dish out. The discussion I thought was about setscrew vs crimp. Im all for crimp. I have tried a bunch of stuff, and if air arcing out a weld and you feel cable getting hot, throw the stinger in a water bucket.
I would not use a setscrew lug unless forced to by an inspector. A normal 400 amp rod holder always comes with a setscrew and they can get really hot. So I think setscrew lugs are bad.

Properly done, a firm 20 ton hydraulic crimp with the right size lug for the wire, will be "gas tight", and fuse/weld all the layers together.
This according to NASA power coupling specs and sectional microscopy images.

Soldered connections have the risk of flux bubbles restricting copper contact, solder wicking up into the wire, creating a hard fulcrum bend point that will fail underneath the pristine insulation above it.

My friend with an early EV, had troubles with the lead battery terminals melting off of the battery, when driving uphill. Just what you need in your battery box, loose wires with molten solder splashing around.

Remember - solar power runs lots of amps for hours at a time, and can cause a lot of heating of normally reliable components. That's when the trouble starts.

First 3 replies are all I had to read, totally agree with them.
In a nutshell, there is no absolute but either method must be done right or there are compromises.
IMO the solder method depends less on the quality of the tools and parts and more on the quality of execution.
Anyone agree?

Properly done, a firm 20 ton hydraulic crimp with the right size lug for the wire, will be "gas tight", and fuse/weld all the layers together.
This according to NASA power coupling specs and sectional microscopy images.

Soldered connections have the risk of flux bubbles restricting copper contact, solder wicking up into the wire, creating a hard fulcrum bend point that will fail underneath the pristine insulation above it.

My friend with an early EV, had troubles with the lead battery terminals melting off of the battery, when driving uphill. Just what you need in your battery box, loose wires with molten solder splashing around.

Remember - solar power runs lots of amps for hours at a time, and can cause a lot of heating of normally reliable components. That's when the trouble starts.
Can I borrow yours? Ive got enough $ in this project already! ?

Back