diy solar

diy solar

Today I learned...

D308

Today I learned that in the state of Arizona any solar electronics (batteries, solar controllers etc.) are tax free. An acquaintance went to the Quartzsite rv show in Quartzsite, Az. He picked up a Battle Born 100ah 12v Lifepo4 battery for around 850.00 with no tax. He stated the dealer told him it is a state rule that any solar equipment is sold tax free.

Sounds like a trip to Zonieland might be in my future.

Today I learned that in the state of Arizona any solar electronics (batteries, solar controllers etc.) are tax free. An acquaintance went to the Quartzsite rv show in Quartzsite, Az. He picked up a Battle Born 100ah 12v Lifepo4 battery for around 850.00 with no tax. He stated the dealer told him it is a state rule that any solar equipment is sold tax free.

You know what else is tax free --buying from Alibaba and getting TWICE the battery for HALF the price ...

Battleborne batteries only charges sales tax in Nevada, if you are out of state, buy directly from them.

You still are liable for tax even if the state or country in which you made the purchase does not collect it. Thank you for your understanding, and for maintaining a fair and level playing field for us all.

tax.JPG

I just checked an Amazon Battleborn purchase thru the checkout and they are still charging tax on a battery purchase and I’m in Arizona.
Not sure if this applies to all purchases. You may have to stipulate it is for solar use.
??

I just checked an Amazon Battleborn purchase thru the checkout and they are still charging tax on a battery purchase and I’m in Arizona.
Not sure if this applies to all purchases. You may have to stipulate it is for solar use.
??
All of my purchases from Northern AZ Wind and Sun in Flagstaff have been tax-free. But I am out of state. Just FYI.

Arizona recently began charging all online purchases shipped to Arizona tax no matter where it originated.
It has always been a requirement for you to report purchases and pay tax but was largely ignored.
So now it automatically added.
Bad thing is I get charged the local sales tax rate for the town 10 miles away even though we don’t reside in that town. But because that’s the PO designation for our address, it gets charged ? 9.7% is what the thieves charged in town and those outside of town should only pay only 6.1%.
From what I understand they are the only town in Cochise County that also charges tax on groceries at 3.6%.
Podunk political mentality ........

Arizona recently began charging all online purchases shipped to Arizona tax no matter where it originated.
It has always been a requirement for you to report purchases and pay tax but was largely ignored.
Bad thing is I get charged the local sales tax rate for the town 10 miles away even though we don’t reside in that town. But because that’s the PO designation for our address, it gets charged ? 9.7% is what the thieves charged in town and those outside of town should only pay only 6.1%.
From what I understand they are the only town in Cochise County that also charges tax on groceries at 3.6%.
I'm in Nevada, and always though CA was bad. Until I saw some of the AZ sales tax. OMG. They will try getting us one way, or another!

I believe from my experience any purchase through Amazon is charged sales tax if FULFILLMENT is By Amazon.

Renewable energy devices sold by a business located in Arizona that is registered with the Arizona State Department of Revenue as being "solar dealers" are exempt from state sales tax.

And yes, the sales tax is a little high in Arizona. But property tax and income tax are pretty low. They have to make up for that somewhere. Arizona is still one of the lowest taxed states in the union.
Just sayin

Renewable energy devices sold by a business located in Arizona that is registered with the Arizona State Department of Revenue as being "solar dealers" are exempt from state sales tax.

And yes, the sales tax is a little high in Arizona. But property tax and income tax are pretty low. They have to make up for that somewhere. Arizona is still one of the lowest taxed states in the union.
Just sayin
It is also a way to make tourists pay their share since they don't own property or earn income in AZ.

You have to pay for government one way or another. If we didn't have a lot of tourists, then the mechanism wouldn't matter as much, but since we do, a higher sales tax makes sense since EVERYBODY has to pay that.

Florida - 6% sales tax and no state income tax. We get the tourist with gas tax and toll roads. Not great but I have seen worse.

Florida - 6% sales tax and no state income tax. We get the tourist with gas tax and toll roads. Not great but I have seen worse.
Florida has two statewide incentives for solar: there's no sales tax on solar equipment (6% cash!) and there's a property tax exemption, so increasing the value of your home doesn't increase the property tax associated with your home.

Just looked the property exemption up... seems to include batteries too:
193.624 Assessment of renewable energy source devices.—
(1) As used in this section, the term “renewable energy source device” means any of the following equipment that collects, transmits, stores, or uses solar energy, wind energy, or energy derived from geothermal deposits:

Last edited:
You guys have actually received orders placed on Alibaba? I've not yet had one that cleared customs and finally just gave up.

First 4 batteries I bought from Battleborn were tax free since I live in Texas. Last week I purchased 2 more, tax was charged. i called them and was told that no they have to charge tax to everyone no matter where they live.

Ebay charges sales tax if you buy from anyone... including China, and private sales...

Back