diy solar

diy solar

TOO MANY WATTS FROM MY PANELS TODAY..

JRH

Solar Wizard
Can panels over produce watts by about 10% ..I have a 1600 watt trailer mounted array that for two months has generally produced about 1400 to 1500 watts on a good clear day this spring when tilted , and about 1000 -1200 watts when flat…

Today ,for about an hour , not tilted or angled ,just flat..with the sun at about 20 degrees to the south, with 40 F degree temps and 20 + mph wind at 4000 ft elevation in the mountains…, the panels are putting out 1600 to 1800 watts.

The Voltage is a little higher than norm because of the temp ,but has been much higher when below freezing, it’s NOT a classic clear sunny day ..it’s sorta hazy light cloud cover with a few lumpy clouds here and there ..

I have never see them go past about 1550w since installed …today the phone app on the BMV just screamed past 16 to mid 1750’s. And banged at 1800 + watts off and on. the 150/100 SCC backed up the readings.
now it has settled down to normal and ??? ..so I don’t know…

Has anyone seen this first hand..?
Are the electronics throwing me a curve..?
If real how does one duplicate this result..?
it’s to early in the day for beer so I know it happened…!

I’m all ears… what up..?

This can happen with partially cloudy conditions. Its called Cloud Edge Lensing where certain types of clouds can actually magnify solar radiation as thy mover across the sky but is usually for short periods of time.
This lasted about an hour… hmmmmm…I have to admit I liked it… I didn’t understand it but I liked it..thanks …J

Yes sir - my system will do this just a bit here and there in spring with cooler temps.
Haaa thanks … I thought the vic BMV was taking a dive on me for a few min…
last Christmas eve before my system was up and running, it was solid 16 below zero F .with strong wind .. have no idea what the wind chill was … ha.

when the sun got up good that morning about 10 am it was still -7 F ….and serious wind…would love to know what the solar numbers would have been on Christmas day…
We will see this year…!
J.

Panels can produce over their rated watts when they are cooler. The rating is usually at about 25°C (about 77°F). My 3000 W of panels produced 3780 W for a short while today.

Reactions: JRH
Panels can produce over their rated watts when they are cooler. The rating is usually at about 25°C (about 77°F). My 3000 W of panels produced 3780 W for a short while today.
Man, that’s a bunch .. congrats.

Back