diy solar

diy solar

Too Powerful of a Generator for EG4 Chargeverter

I have a new Duromax 13000EH generator. Using propane, its output is 41.56 amps @240v. I confirmed with Duromax that the generator will not reduce amp output if I connect it to a lower load such as the EG4 Chargeverter with its maximum input amps set for 26 amps @240v; therefore, I'm assuming that the chargeverter will be overloaded. In lieu of buying a smaller generator with lower amp output, is their another solution available that would allow me to use the larger generator? Although I'm at the novice level, I plan on buying EG4 batteries and inverters to install 100% off-grid energy on my 38.5 acres of raw land here in Arizona. Since I will not be on the grid, I need a backup solution to keep the batteries charged in case of extended inclement weather. Any advice is much appreciated.
I have a new Duromax 13000EH generator. Using propane, its output is 41.56 amps @240v. I confirmed with Duromax that the generator will not reduce amp output if I connect it to a lower load such as the EG4 Chargeverter with its maximum input amps set for 26 amps @240v; therefore, I'm assuming that the chargeverter will be overloaded. In lieu of buying a smaller generator with lower amp output, is their another solution available that would allow me to use the larger generator? Although I'm at the novice level, I plan on buying EG4 batteries and inverters to install 100% off-grid energy on my 38.5 acres of raw land here in Arizona. Since I will not be on the grid, I need a backup solution to keep the batteries charged in case of extended inclement weather. Any advice is much appreciated.
As cheap as they are, and since you have a bigger generator, buy a second Chargeverter and set output of each to 75 amps for a total of 150 A. Generators are way more efficient when you load them down.

The generator current output is fine, your inverter will only use and/or pass through what it needs or what you have the charge settings at. Remember that when it’s on grid(generator) you must count pass through PLUS what the charger portion is taking in so as to not exceed the input rating. BUT there may be a different problem. Many owners of the “Voltronic” family of inverters have reported issues with using non inverter type generators. The sine wave of some generators has too much distortion for the inverters to accept.

If the Chargeverters live up to what is advertised, then the dirty power from my generators should not be a problem and will be converted to a safer sine wave before charging the batteries directly. I'm going to do some testing to see what the chargeverter is outputting. Thanks for alerting me to the Voltronic inverter issue.

Back